Unknown noise

• Thread starter Deleted member 540
  • Start date

Deleted member 540

I have a non-ABS 2010 bought in June 2011 with 1100 miles. Just before coming to a complete stop (under 5 mph) while in 1st gear, if I let the clutch back out to continue on, I hear "clink" right as the bike starts foward. the sound is coming from the gear box side and sounds almost like the sound of lifting the foot peg and letting it drop back into place. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tracker

Well if it is any comfort mine does the same thing. I have heard this called a "loose box". Something to do with the transmission and clutch not catching up to one another perhaps. Probably a warning not to get on the clutch too hard under such situations.

Lorien

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tracker,

That's a noise I've never heard. Where did you buy your NT? Apex? If so, do you trust their service department?

You're under warranty...go check it out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Mine seems to only make the noise after it get warmed up and not all the time. Maybe I've been trying too hard to make it make the noise. I'll stop doing that. Took it the service department today and the manager rode it around. He is not too concerned about it but said to bring it back if it things changed. He tried to explain the workings of the transmission, but i'm not a tranny guy. I'll keep an ear on it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mine seems to only make the noise after it get warmed up and not all the time. Maybe I've been trying too hard to make it make the noise. I'll stop doing that. Took it the service department today and the manager rode it around. He is not too concerned about it but said to bring it back if it things changed. He tried to explain the workings of the transmission, but i'm not a tranny guy. I'll keep an ear on it.
I was at Apex this afternoon at around 2PM. There was a red NT in the lot south of the service dept. Was it yours? I'm guessing not since you had it there this morning. I think I'm with John Grinsel on this, the NT drive line makes way more noises than my Concours did, but because of the better fuel control with the PGM-FI compared to the too-lean-at-idle carbs on the Connie, the NT is much easier to ride at slow speeds.

One of these days maybe I'll have some time after I finish my meeting in the Springs (the next one is in October) and give you a call and maybe meet up for a cuppa' coffee or something before I head back to Ft Morgan.

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Phil, I go to Rocky Moutain, since I bought it there. Thanks for the feedback.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tracker, Is Rocky Mountain the one just south of US-24 and Academy Mall?

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Yes I believe that is where you are refering to. We call it Platte and Chelton. The mall is the Citadel. The buildling they are in is an old movie house.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's the one! I haven't been in there in over 12 years. Are they a pretty good dealer?

OP
OP

Deleted member 540

Father and son business. this is my first dealing with them and so far so good. They havve done all I've asked them to.

elizilla

I was at Apex this afternoon at around 2PM. There was a red NT in the lot south of the service dept. Was it yours? I'm guessing not since you had it there this morning. I think I'm with John Grinsel on this, the NT drive line makes way more noises than my Concours did, but because of the better fuel control with the PGM-FI compared to the too-lean-at-idle carbs on the Connie, the NT is much easier to ride at slow speeds.
Low power-to-weight ratio smooths out a lot of things that would feel twitchy on a bike with more power.

Top Bottom