Unusual wear Dunlop roadsmart front

Wonder if anyone has seen this in any brand. The front of my RoadSmart is wearing a shallow depression on either side of the center almost as if the hard center rubber is too hard on the dual compound. There is the usual left wear bias but it is not severe.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
No offense, but the correct pressures have been maintained, have they not? Can you post a pic? I just put RoadSmart 2's on my NT two weeks ago and hate to hear any bad stuff about them.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
They had some issues a couple years ago with belts separating... they've supposedly fixed those issues with a particular batch but not before they put a bad taste in my mouth.. I had a front roadsmart on my ST that after 200 miles was bouncing up and down and I thought I threw a weight but it was a separated belt.

I agree, tire pressure is the most important thing.

OP
OP
Pressures have been kept between 38 and 40. Difficult to demonstrate this but it is obvious that the sides are wearing more quickly than the center near the center. I really am not on the edges much at all which is the surprising fact. Something you can feel better than show. Reminds me of some bicycle tires I had long ago with a center rib and then the sides were slightly lower and a different tread. Have about 11k on the set and the rear is barely squared. Feel like the back will outlast the front if the wear bars mean anything.

bicyclist

Wonder if anyone has seen this in any brand. The front of my RoadSmart is wearing a shallow depression on either side of the center almost as if the hard center rubber is too hard on the dual compound. There is the usual left wear bias but it is not severe.
I saw exactly that on the front Roadsmart I had on my F800. I've switched to Pilot Roads and like them better. I'm running PR3s on the Honda.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
George, just for clarity's sake: your Roadsmarts were just Roadsmarts, weren't they? As opposed to the new Roadsmart 2?

The Roadsmart 2 has gotten very favorable ratings from my favorite motorcycle magazine, the Brit-bike mag, "Bike." The previous Roadsmart wasn't very highly rated by them.

bicyclist

Phil, I suspect that they were just plain Roadsmarts. I had them on the bike in 09. It was a dual compound tire and the harder compound center strip stood above the sides once the tire was worn.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yeah, George, the Roadsmart 2s just came out last year to compete with the BT-023s and the PR2s and now PR3s.

OP
OP
I am unaware of any Dunlop policy. Avon appears to be the only tire with a road hazard policy.

Top Bottom