Updated tool list with pics

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
looking for something else I came across a tool kit for the NT, just as suggestion for what was offered in a 'factory tool kit'.
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-2867-17MEW601-NT700V6-2006-F__3300-DEAUVILLE+700.html
I purchased the OEM tool kit from a supplier in England a couple of years ago. I think when converted to $US including shipping I paid almost $80 for it. Since it is designed for the NT it does not have anything in it thats not needed and its fairly compact, lightweight and packs well. I view it as for emergency roadside repairs and think its adequate for that.

kenstone

Tools designed for mountain bikes are small/compact, and have metric allens/hex, philips (jis?), 8mm/10mm open end wrenches, etc.
Even a chain breaker:rolleyes:
I carry one,
Ken

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, when I had the NT I carried far less tools. Leatherman on my tool belt. A screwdriver with interchangeable bits (it had full set of metric and english hex and torx as well as some smaller sockets). Nothing else. Maybe if I kept it longer I'd carry more. Like enough tools to change throttle/clutch cables.

I like the Japanese description of screwdriver blades, plus and minus (phillips and flat). :)

Don't forget your tire tools. Plug kit and air source.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
1. AMA roadside assistance card - so someone will come to get me
2. cell phone - so I can call them
3. gps - so I can tell them where I am
4. mastercard - so I can pay them
5. mountain dew and powerbars - so I can snack while I wait for them
So your handlebar clamp loosens up and you are going to call a towing service to come tighten them for you :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ROFLMAO

I find myself outside cell service areas way too much to depend on them. But, you are correct. The number of times I have broken down on the side of the road in 30 years I can count on one hand. And that's if you count the throttle cables I have broken on a 30 yr old bike (3 of those 5 were for that alone), and those can be fixed with only a screwdriver.

I used to always carry a full set of tools with me, only cause my cars were not reliable. As time went on cars (and bikes) have become much more reliable. Then there are the vehicles themselves. There isn't much you can fix at the side of the road anymore. Vbelt (or serpentine) or water hose maybe? Add to that cell phone coverage on major highways and the need to be able to fix something myself went down to almost zero. About 10 years ago I stopped carrying a toolbox in every car and on every trip.

Then I went and bought an older bike. So, I carry tools to fix it. But, what has broken on it while on the road has been fixable with my leatherman.

Someday I may leave the tools at home for it as well. After all, I only have 40k miles on it with only minor issues. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Funny as I have never had a handlebar clamp loosen. I have had an axle pinch and shock mount bolt loosen (both on the Guzzi).

Top Bottom