Updated tool list with pics

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have updated my tool list with pics....I would appreciate any suggestions of things I left out....Thanks!
NT tool locator.doc 8/13

Under the seat.

Plug and Go Kit, Volt meter, Metric Hex key set, Small Channel Locks, Wrench Set including 17,14,12,10,and 8 mm open/closed end wrenches

?Pass through? shaving kit

?? and 3/8? breaker bars, Stubby ?-3/8 ? ratchet handle, stubby adjustable wrench, Needle nose pliers and dikes. Hex sockets, 5,6,8,10 mm. 3/8 in Sockets, 8,10,12,14,16,17,19,22 mm. ?> 3/8> ? in adaptors, 14mm and 27 mm crows feet. Helmet lock removal tool. 3/8 in and ? in extensions. Zip ties

Right Fairing pocket
Throttle lock adjustment allen set, Stubby screw stick set, Spare nuts and bolts, crimp terminals, small ratchet, valve stem tool

Right Pannier Tool bag
26 piece screw stick set, Spark plug caps and plugs, Jumper cables, feeler gage, crimp tool, Slime in a can, Dynaplug kit, Gummy repair kit, electric pump, electrical and duct tape. Spare wire. Zip ties. Metric Hex combo set. Spare cheepo Voltmeter

(To buy?.10 mm >12 mm offset closed end wrench)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Where's the flash light(s), and spare batteries, or a couple light sticks? And the most important tool of all...a fully charged cell phone and a emergency charger?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I always have some rags. Maybe just cause I'm messy. And they keep stuff from rattleing.
And the only time I break down is when the mosquitoes are bad so I have repellent, but that's hardly a tool.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
They all go into the left hand Bertram bag. Two cell phones with ac and dc chargers, cameras, scanner, and of course, with my flashlight fetish, two head lamps and at least three high tech lites.....
My latest addition to my collection...I now have three of these...they are tiny, inexpensive, and awesome...
$3.80 with free shipping...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where's the flash light(s), and spare batteries, or a couple light sticks? And the most important tool of all...a fully charged cell phone and a emergency charger?

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I love the idea of using a shave kit for the pass through container. I'll have to look into that.

How well has the plastic bag worked for the things you carry under the seat? It looks like things could rust there easily.

You've given me some ideas I'll have to think about. My philosophy in the past has been to look at what I could reasonably do on the side of the road...which has been to carry a Stop-N-Go kit and a Slime Spair kit on longer trips. I carry a small amount of tools, but I doubt anything will break that I'll have the capability to fix other than a flat tire.

Chris
Ziplock bags have served me well....but remember, they aren't forever and also remember I live in a land where rain makes the paper....you will note the wrenches are in a "breathable" pouch from the tool dept at Home Despot. I would look into the dynaplug tool WITH rasp...newer tires are hard to get plugs into but you can easily put three Dynaplugs into one hole if need be.

While I have had to do simple things like tighten nuts and bolts and change a plug/battery or what have you on the road, I have helped a number of other riders I meet with my tool set over the last 40 years...you would be surprised what rattles free on a bike from the 1970s.....modern Japanese bikes tend to spoil us, though....
If you pack that shave kit just right, you might be surprised on how much it will hold....I sometimes go to second had stores like good will and value village and find all manner of pouches and bags that can be useful for touring....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I always have some rags. Maybe just cause I'm messy. And they keep stuff from rattleing.
And the only time I break down is when the mosquitoes are bad so I have repellent, but that's hardly a tool.
Oh yeah....rags are good....I should add that to the right pannier bag list. I always carry repellent even when I go to Reno where I have never seen a mosquitoe...but it goes into the camping bag

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris How about a very small common screwdriver gin minimature, ike the give away ones by snap on and the other major players in the tool industry. They are perfect to losen the screws in the electrical add on fuze blocks as well as to help Honda plastic connectors clips to unlock.

eldon

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
'bout the only thing I see missing is a corkscrew...!

Marker

If I break down, I really hope you happen by! :smile:

I carry a few zip ties in my 'modest' tool pouch, and a tie strap as well in the bottom of the top box.

Gary

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Take all you want but do you really think you will use all of those tools on the NT. I didn't carry anywhere near that many tools when I was into riding vintage bikes and they broke down far more frequently then the NT is likely to. I am comfortable with the Honda OEM tool kit and a tire plug kit and pump for my NT travels. I do admit though that I primarily commute with my NT so I am not usually all that far from home.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I carry a similar amount of tools and spares on the Guzzi, but, it is almost 30 years old at this point. And since it has tubes it is also a bit more of a hassle should a patch be needed. I also use the tools I carry on the bike for all maintenance. I have pulled the cylinders, split the engine (rear main seal), done brakes and tires, all with the tools I carry with me all the time.

Have I used them on the road? Not really. The only things that have gone wrong I could have fixed with just my Leatherman :) It was nice to have a 'real' screwdriver when the throttle cable broke, but, was not necessary.

What can you fix by the side of the road? Depends on which road and how far from civilization. The throttle cable broke in Tucson, so if I really wanted to I could have delayed my trip home by a day and had the local dealer fix it. But, it was 30min in a hotel parking lot (yes, I carry a spare throttle and clutch cable with me all the time). Much more than that and I would have had a dealer do it, or at least let me have some space to do it myself.

When I had the NT all I carried was a set of hex wrenches, one of those screwdriver kits with a bunch of different bits and a tire plug kit with compressor (and the Leatherman of course :) ). All fit in a small shaving kit bag. Never needed any of it and didn't expect to. If I had kept the NT much longer I would have included a spare clutch and throttle cables.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
May I suggest that everyone have the appropriate hex head allen wrench to fit the bolt that holds y our shift lever & linkage in place. Mine has came loose twice on me, first time at about 3,000 miles and then again at around 30,000 and that was after it had some locktite added to the threads. It isn't a big deal to fix , but having the proper took saves messing with a leatherman tool , or a pair of plyers.

eldon

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good point! I do carry a mini screw driver set to repair eye glasses but carrying one of those inexpensive "jewelers" screw stick sets wouldn't be a bad idea....
http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1095-14-Precision-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B00114R89U/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1376597666&sr=8-50&keywords=screwdriver+set
Chris How about a very small common screwdriver gin minimature, ike the give away ones by snap on and the other major players in the tool industry. They are perfect to losen the screws in the electrical add on fuze blocks as well as to help Honda plastic connectors clips to unlock.

eldon

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, that would be the 6mm critter and I have three different ones in my toolkit.
May I suggest that everyone have the appropriate hex head allen wrench to fit the bolt that holds y our shift lever & linkage in place. Mine has came loose twice on me, first time at about 3,000 miles and then again at around 30,000 and that was after it had some locktite added to the threads. It isn't a big deal to fix , but having the proper took saves messing with a leatherman tool , or a pair of plyers.

eldon

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Ref: What can you fix by the side of the road?
I have seldom needed my tools....but I was glad I had them when I needed them....A fouled plug in the middle of nowhere....two broken batteries.....a footpeg ready to drop off.....a leaky seal.....I have had few problems over the years...
and the tools I carry except for the flat repair take up little room and I can help others with British Machines (Sorry John).....but I do have flataphobia so I must carry the four ways to fix my tires if they can be fixed.....but what's a can of air
and a pump, anyway, ?

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I am planning for when I retire and get back to the U.S. next year.

I really like the cinnamon flavored Altoids. Then it occurred to me one day that an empty can is perfect (small size and tight fitting lid) would be perfect for an emergency supply of moly grease (lube the rear wheel drive splines while on the roar) or lithium grease.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Everybody seems concerned about the shift lever bolt. I torque mine every month. As a precaution, I ordered a spare from Bike Bandit and keep it in my tool kit with my spare fuses.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The stuff I carry is really not a lot. I carry an Allen set -one of those that fold like a pocket knife, spare fuses, a spare shift lever bolt (because it is so unusual), some metric sockets, and some of the most common buttonhead metric screws used on the tupperware. On long trips, I take the shop manual--preferring to have independents work on my bike with stuff I can't do. I did buy a wrench that fits the front and rear axle. All those tools fit into a small cordura case that came from Wal-Mart. I have helped other bikes on the road, but have not had any problems with my bike.
Hondas are quite reliable-which is why I ride one.

Top Bottom