Using High Beam as Low Beam Headlight

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I did the same thing for a while. But I eventually added Denali DM1s and it is a whole new world at night. With the Denalis on at night I can't see any better when I switch from low beam to high beam. They are aimed so I don't get flashed at night. I'm using the spot beams not the flood beams.

And with the Denalis on in the day time I'm a lot more noticable from the front.

SCBWV

Where did you mount the lights? From the specs, it looks to me like the model 30 outputs more lumens than the Denali. Is that right? If so, what's the difference for the money?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I mounted the DM1s high and I like them there. May not be legal, but no one checks. They put lights on top of 4X4s and get away with it.
Pictures below show mounts under mirror mounts and wire routing.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Daboo, I can answer your questions about Jim's setup. I rode lots of miles in front of him on our way to Alaska and back.

I can testify that you can really see him. I think the DM-1s are noticeably brighter than my D-1s. But it is also hard to see his turn signals (at least in my mirrors).

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Do you have the Denali lights on all the time?
When they are on, do people have a problem seeing the turn signals?
I leave them on most of the time. I had one guy who complained about my lights in his mirrors being anoying, but he complained about everything. No one else has complained.

I checked the turn signal visibility and they looked fine to me both day and night. But I never checked using mirrors like Phil did (hard to do by myself). I'm glad Phil made that comment, now I know. So, turn signal visibility may be compromised.

I assume people never see my turn signals anyway. I got rear ended while turning right by a car passing me on the right (off the road).

CommuterNT

Chris,
The lights I have mounted on the tip over wings are the Denali D2's. Give me a call when you get yours mounted and we can do some comparisons. Also I'm going to be really curious as to how you make your mounts and install them.

Kyle

CommuterNT

Jim-
Do you have any pictures of just the mounts you made and how did you make them? They look really sharp!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I sent the template to Kevin at TT so I no longer have it. It was an isosceles triangle about twice as high as wide.
I used a piece of 1/8" or 10 ga. steel. Aluminum would work too.
I drilled two holes spaced and sized to match the mirror mounts in the narrow base of the triangle.
I put a 15 degree upward bend in the flat piece at a forward angle.
You can experiment with a piece of cardboard to get the bend right so the mount is almost level.
I used a 5/16" NC bolt to attach "U" shaped mounting light mounting bracket.
Simple job. It only took a half hour to make both and get them painted.

I can send you a sketch if you PM your e-mail address to me.
I've never been able to attach anything to an e-mail from this site.

Here is a photo of the switch bracket.

Attachments

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
OK I have some requests for a drawing of my Denali DM mounting brackets. I'll be glad to help out as best I can. But my bike is stored (cramed) into my horse trailer for the winter along with lawn mowers, bicycles, etc.. With some effort I could remove one of my brackets and make a detailed drawing. OR - If enough people want a set I could just make some up and send them out for a reasonable fee. Just let me know. I can paint them any color as long as it is black.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
So you didn't sell Twisted Throttle you patent for the bracket and get rich enough to support yourself throughout a long and comfortable old age?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
So you didn't sell Twisted Throttle you patent for the bracket and get rich enough to support yourself throughout a long and comfortable old age?
Phil, that was your idea. I gave up on getting rich a long time ago. I'm aiming at happy instead of rich. Friends like you help. I'd rather have friends I can count on than friends I can buy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jim, happy is a good target. From what I've seen, I think you've got that.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jim, happy is a good target. From what I've seen, I think you've got that.
And I don't even care that I'm not fameous like you - for drinking stove fuel.

And as long as we're laughing, is it too soon to make a joke about your using your tent for a smart phone carrying case? Of course that happened right after the stove fuel event and there might be a connection.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The "spot" beams use the smaller pattern. I think.

I was beginning to wonder about the wisdom of the Epic Ride. 1) stove fuel; 2) tent as cell phone carrying case; 3) losing a crown while eating in Lovell, WY.

But things picked up after that.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
But things picked up after that.
That's for sure.
That first day going up the Icefields Parkway is a ride I won't forget. 150 miles of wow!
We had a great visit with "Freezinalaskan" who invited us into his home.
And another great visit with John and Diann in Fairbanks who shared their home with us too.
The roads and riding that went on forever while the rain came and went.
The constant battles with wifis and connecting at rest stops where Phil always got a quart of gas and a gallon of coffee.

CommuterNT

OK I have some requests for a drawing of my Denali DM mounting brackets. I'll be glad to help out as best I can. But my bike is stored (cramed) into my horse trailer for the winter along with lawn mowers, bicycles, etc.. With some effort I could remove one of my brackets and make a detailed drawing. OR - If enough people want a set I could just make some up and send them out for a reasonable fee. Just let me know. I can paint them any color as long as it is black.
Count me in, I would love a pair! I've been playing around with trying to design a mount for a pair of Rigid Industries Dually lights I have along with the Denali's I have mounted under the tip-over wings. I've tried a couple of different design ideas with some flat bar but nothing that I'm really happy with. One of the biggest problems I have is my lack of machining experience and tools to do the job right.

Top Bottom