V-Strom 650 will have to replace totaled NT

tawilke46

Chuck, I'll say one thing about all your bikes. You sure know how to maintain and keep your bikes looking new!!!!
I'm impressed. Super looking Wee!!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I'll say one thing about all your bikes. You sure know how to maintain and keep your bikes looking new!!!!
I'm impressed. Super looking Wee!!
Thanks. Being retired and having the time, the tools, and some maint. knowledge, and also enjoy working on my machines, helps.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I bought the Wee for the Colorado County dirt roads. The pavement ends and the road continues as a dirt road and then picks up on the pavement again a few miles yonder. It is great for that. The KLR that I have, is my going to drop it from time to time, and don't care as long as I don't break it, bike. It is for roads my wife does not want me on by my self. Double track and jeep 4x4 trails. It is a bit too heavy for some single track or my skills are not up to par for some single track, but it will do it. Of course if one is going to ride on Ice and Snow the OLD KLR is the bike to take, as one will fall down.:D

Last edited:

1TRAK

Good Evening folks. Have to say your Strom is the most gorgeous and comfy looking one I've seen Chuck, hope you don't drop it much! Nice pics of those shelf roads on the KLR.

I believe Katherine and Chuck are spot on about adventure travel/bikes Rick. I'd add that if you aren't interested in serious dirt travel (ruts, washouts, boulders, rocks, steep, deep water, mud, sand, singletrack) get the Wee. The KLR will do the serious stuff but it's heavy, picking it up is a major chore.

The Wee will do this stuff all day

The KLR can do this

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As for "adventure riding", you don't need a special bike to have adventures on. You just have to take the bike you have, and go for it.
Yes and No... I would not even take my NT where I take my Wee as it is too expensive too replace tupperware, has to little suspension travel, and isn't meant for use on a lot of gravel / dirt / fire roads/ jeep trails where I ride... My NT farkles, like large pannier lids and lower fairing, are counter productive to "off road" riding. Going for it on the NT could be a very expensive proposition.

On the other hand my Wee is "up armored" farkled with AltRider Crash bars, sliders, and skid plate, all to make it easier to pick up and less like to sustain expensive damage when it decides to take a nap in the mud or dirt... The removable OEM Suzuki luggage gets left behind on off road rides so I don't have to worry about damaging it and dealing with the "Big Bertha Butt" it adds to the Wee on a narrow trail.

I do agree you can have an adventure on any bike, each rider just needs be realistic in assessing their, and the bikes, capabilities or that adventure fantasy can become a nightmare...

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
Well, my friends, I took a small rock into my radiator on the NT last week at 38,500 miles on the clock. With the Yellowknife run rapidly approaching and the radiator replacement one or two weeks out depending on dealer I went through, I elected to simply buy another (my third, not concurrently owned) Wee Strom. The 2012 model felt like putting on my favorite old hiking boots when I settled into the saddle and rode away from the dealer. We'll see what the future brings with the Wee, but at 60 years old I ain't waiting on nothing if it means sacrificing a ride to some new fishing hole.

I made a commitment to simplifying my life a few years ago so I no longer have multiple bikes to work on or with. I struggled with that commitment, but let go of the NT yesterday. I'll never have a bad word to say about NT. It was about as perfect as I could find on the market for my Iron Butt runs, just as I knew it would be when I saw it in Europe.

Now I think I'll pursue the "Ends of Roads" and those hidden fishing holes I tend to find there.

Yeah, like I told my son last night, every time I have to squirt the chain I'll cuss my choice, briefly. I loved that NT shaft-drive. But the trade-off is that I don't have to work with a Tupperware puzzle checking the details before I ride out to Never-Never Land for the next adventure.

Ride well, in all meanings. I'll see you out there.

Papa Lou signing off.

OP
OP

prof98801

Well, Papa Lou, it looks like both of us have gone from the NT to the Wee. All this fuss about chain drive has not fazed me at all. It takes 5-10 minutes to clean and lubricate my Wee's chain. I, too, have no complaints about the NT but I do really like the Wee. Hope you can still make the Central Oregon trip on the 22nd or 29th of June. I may have a buyer for my wrecked NT but just talking at this point. He is coming to look at it next week. I saved all broken parts and wrote down all part #'s so it should be easier for whomever buys it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Papa Lou, glad you made a good decision for you. I'm learning from what happened to you. I had bought a radiator guard for the NT from a German company and it's been laying in the garage waiting for me to work up the energy to install it. It's not like it's going to be a big deal -- probably not over an hour or two even for a klutz like me.

Enjoy the Wee! And don't feel like you need to leave the Forum.

1TRAK

Congrats on the VSTROM, even though there's only 7000 miles on mine I believe it's a great alternative to the NT.

Ride Safe and keep us informed of your travels. :smile:

Top Bottom