Value of NEW 2011 NT.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
So, what is the value of ANY motorcycle? To whom?
I'm at a point where it is more important to get exactly what I want instead of getting the cheapest price.
There is such a thing as "best value" too. That would place all of us on a Grom if we purchased that way.

I recently test rode a 2016 R1200 GS. What a nice bike. Wonderful low speed maners, great power, slipper clutch, electronic everything and handled great. I got back on my NT ard rode away thinking this NT is way more comfortable. Beauty (and value) is in the eyes of the beholder.
That's true, you basically find everything that fits into the what I 'want', 'need', 'can afford' categories and try to go from there. Everyone has their own parameters to adjust and in the end it's just about getting what you feel is a right fit for your needs.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If the buyer is happy with the deal they didn't "over pay", at least to them. But in this case the truth is the second you buy that "new" NT it's insurance value might be $5k...maybe. Like it or not it instantly becomes a five year old, used bike with low mileage and will be valued accordingly. That isn't an issue until "**** Happens" and the bike is a total loss. If you can afford to take the financial hit it still isn't an issue... But if you buy, and finance, any five year old "new" motorcycle priced that much over book value I suggest you seriously consider buying GAP insurance...:eek1:

OP
OP
Gentlemen,thanks for all the replies & input/advice,we arrive in the USA tomorrow,so we'll see how the wheeling & dealing,goes:)
Cheers,Graham.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
In 2012 I paid $7799 for a brand new 2010.
Today if I found a brand new NT, I would expect a huge discount

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I agree with your viewpoint. Plus, if you want a mid-size (6-800cc) sports-tourer, the only other option is the F800GT like Daboo bought. I need to go ride one, I guess, but after sitting on one, I wasn't sure that it could be made as comfortable. So, IMNSHO, the NT still has no real competition. A new '11 with a five-year warranty would give a lot of use before it would wear out.
I did ride one and I was underwhelmed. The throttle is like an on/off switch. There are two periods of vibration, one annoying. The suspension was stiff.....not saying it is a bad bike...it is just not me.....it is a SPORT touring bike, not a sport TOURING bike.
While I agree with Mellow that there are other bikes in the 600-800 size you could make due with, especially the Vstrom, it still doesnt measure up to the NT with the big lids......

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In 2012 I paid $7799 for a brand new 2010.
Today if I found a brand new NT, I would expect a huge discount
Sorry, but the analogy doesnt hold. That is like saying, "I bought a Colt .45 new in 1906 and paid $15, now I see one new in the box from 1906 and the fool wants $12,000.
Its all supply and demand. If you are happy with a used NT, then you have pleanty to choose from. If you want a new one like I did, then you will pay for the privilige.
Thankfully, there arent enough people in this country who know what an NT is and actually how GOOD a bike it really is.
The true value of an item is how happy you are to have bought it.....I never worry about how much I can get out of an item at the sale end....but then I am fortunate to have to never worry about money again.....
When I went shopping for my new 2014 FJR last winter...sure...I wanted the best price I could get.....but in the end, I didnt really care what it cost.......nor what I could get out of it should I have to sell it.....

Until someone comes up with a lightweight sport touring bike with a good manners, shaft drive, great ergonomics, wind protection, slow speed handling, and my idea of good looks, the NT is in a class by itself for the older seasoned rider.....
For everyone else, there is the 2014 fJR.... ;)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sorry, but I agree with Red. In 2012 the NT was two years old. In 2016, if you find a new NT, it's now six years old. Insurance valuation will be less. Tires and fluids will need to be changed. It's no longer a "new" motorcycle, but a 6 year old motorcycle with zero miles. As an example, go try and trade in any six year old motorcycle, even in mint condition, and see what you get. It's not going to be more than what you would have gotten 4 years ago, would it? Or try and finance the full amount. Banks won't allow you finance an amount over their book value.
Now, if you have a showroom new condition NT in 2110, it will probably be worth a fortune.

We get it that you really liked finding a new NT and would have gladly paid anything for the opportunity. That's fine. But I'll say that most of us won't pay such a premium for a zero miles 6 year old bike.
I think I see the difference here between me and others....it is in the meaning of the word value at my advanced point of life. Money has little value for me at this point in my life.....I seem to be spending lots of times on medical issues and I know there will be more of those in a very few short years. Therefore, with not so many "good" years left and dealing with some level of pain every day, value is more a function of finding things that I can look forward to and find enjoyment in. Words like "finance", "insurance valuation" and "trade in value" have no meaning for a guy who has to deal with a COPD flairup or chronic pelvic pain. Finding a new medium sized touring bike the caliber of the Nt (and I just looked through the new Cycle World buyers guide) that fits my frame and my needs and abilities seems to be futile. Could I live with a great condition used one? Sure. If I had to. I just happen to like new vehicles. And you are correct, a six year old NT in the crate is not the same as a new 2016 bike in the crate. I keep hoping that within five years. as I approach the end of my useful touring life, as the NT I have hits 10 years old, I can find a bike to trade in my FJR on that I can still take a trip or two to the mountains and camp out....and have a body left that will allow me to do that! ;)

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
Well....just to add to the price confusion here.... :rofl1:

My insurance company just "totaled" my 2010 NT700VA from my recent accident. It has over 75K miles on it. They are offering me $5895 PRIOR TO considering about $1200 of "farkles" I had added to it (which I had coverage for in my policy, but don't expect full retail value now). And that didn't include covering my $1000 Russell custom seat...I took that off the NT at the towing yard and didn't request reimbursement for it in my insurance claim (it surprisingly is undamaged considering it got separated from my NT when I went down, and it ended up on the ground away from where my NT came to rest. I had my rain cover on it at the time of the accident, so it didn't even get the leather scratched on it).

They are also reimbursing the full retail price of my Shark helmet separately, which was expected. My 'Stich is most likely repairable, but I have to send it to Roadcrafter for them to make a determination.

That offer will probably add to the "What's a fair price?" confusion for now. :rofl1:

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mmmm... if I didn't have 113,000 miles on my 2010 NT, I might consider going out and totaling it if I could think of some way to do that without undergoing any physical or emotional trauma. Then I could pull all my farkles off the bike and buy Daboo's 2011 and have money left over.

But State Farm probably wouldn't give me that much for my NT. When I totaled my 1st '99 Kawasaki Concours in 2006, I had 115,000 miles on it and they only gave me $1795 for the bike. They did give me 100% of the cost of the farkles on the bike, so I ended up getting about $3700 for the bike. At that time, State Farm wouldn't reimburse you for riding gear. Now, my agent tells me, they will. I had about $150 damage to my Stitch and most of that happened when the EMT cut the long zipper instead of zipping it up to my neck from my ankle, where he had unzipped it, doing that cutting while I was hollering at him to pull both zipper tabs up to my neck instead of cutting it. I also had a two-week old Nolan modular helmet that was totaled. I argued with the State Farm adjuster that:

1) they ought to reimburse me for the helmet and the 'Stitch damage because they two items had probably saved them several thousands of dollars in medical payments; and

2) they should pay me more than $1795 for the bike because Connies lasted forever and 115,000 wasn't really very many for one bike. The adjuster told me that if I could find one (only one) Connie for sale that had more than 100,000 miles on he clock for sale anywhere (Craigslist, EBay, Cycletrader, a dealer, or even an individual) they'd pay me that much for the bike. Naturally, I couldn't find a Connie for sale with more than 60,000 miles on it. So I sold State Farm my Connie for $1795 -- but I did pull my Russell saddle off, as well as two undamaged panniers and my tank bag.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I suspect insurance companies procedures for determining "fair" value is much like a playing a game of darts at the local pub...whilst blindfolded and inebriated...:rolleyes: some times you hit and sometimes you miss....;) I've had it both ways, once I just wanted to cash the check and run :run1:, last time I needed an attorney to sue the chumps...:eek1:

Bike
2018 CanAm Spyder RTL
Well, I've been with them for ages. Have my car and all other insurance with them too. And...I ONLY have the bare minimum "medical coverage" (for my medical) on the NT policy, so they wouldn't get "stuck" paying for much (if any) of it anyhow. I'm retired Air Force with Tri-Care Prime. Government will end up paying for my medical care, then the government goes after the party at fault. I already got a form to fill out concerning that from Tri-Care for the $6000+ bill from the hospital emergency room the ambulance took me to after the accident. Tri-Care paid it all...no co-pay at all for me...and now they want the "accident info" about the "other driver". I just send Tri-Care a copy of the accident report. So my insurance company may be thinking, "Hmmm...we don't have to worry about getting reamed with medical bills, so....".

(And yes...I do have "other coverage" in case I end up being the driver at fault. I never left myself with the possibility of getting hung out to dry.)

Who knows how they do it.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Mmmm... if I didn't have 113,000 miles on my 2010 NT, I might consider going out and totaling it if I could think of some way to do that without undergoing any physical or emotional trauma. Then I could pull all my farkles off the bike and buy Daboo's 2011 and have money left over.

But State Farm probably wouldn't give me that much for my NT. When I totaled my 1st '99 Kawasaki Concours in 2006, I had 115,000 miles on it and they only gave me $1795 for the bike. They did give me 100% of the cost of the farkles on the bike, so I ended up getting about $3700 for the bike. At that time, State Farm wouldn't reimburse you for riding gear. Now, my agent tells me, they will. I had about $150 damage to my Stitch and most of that happened when the EMT cut the long zipper instead of zipping it up to my neck from my ankle, where he had unzipped it, doing that cutting while I was hollering at him to pull both zipper tabs up to my neck instead of cutting it. I also had a two-week old Nolan modular helmet that was totaled. I argued with the State Farm adjuster that:

1) they ought to reimburse me for the helmet and the 'Stitch damage because they two items had probably saved them several thousands of dollars in medical payments; and

2) they should pay me more than $1795 for the bike because Connies lasted forever and 115,000 wasn't really very many for one bike. The adjuster told me that if I could find one (only one) Connie for sale that had more than 100,000 miles on he clock for sale anywhere (Craigslist, EBay, Cycletrader, a dealer, or even an individual) they'd pay me that much for the bike. Naturally, I couldn't find a Connie for sale with more than 60,000 miles on it. So I sold State Farm my Connie for $1795 -- but I did pull my Russell saddle off, as well as two undamaged panniers and my tank bag.
Hey, I will sell you my 2003 Connie for $1000 and you go ahead and total it and make a profit! :rofl1:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I'm not keen on the reliability of the Suzuki Burgman 650, but it might suit your needs when you get there. A lot of Burgman riders move in that direction to a scooter because they can't swing their leg over the seat. But...they can move it over the hump in front of the seat just fine. Another option would be one of the BMW scooters.

Chris
You know what's funny? I dont know exactly why, but I have an aversion to scooters....I think I actually could make do nicely with a small adventure touring bike or small standard motorcycle, stay on the back roads as much as possible, take my time.....for decades, I toured on smaller light weight bikes with soft luggage. Remember the old Yamaha 650cc twins that originally could be mistaken for British twins? The 750 cc Viragos? Very easy to manage. It would be like going back in time. I first toured on a 125cc street trail bike,then a 350cc (305?)Honda.......Well, hopefully I wont have to go that far back for a few years yet, anyway. NT to Spearfish in July, FJR to Rockies in August and FJR to Reno National Air races in Sept.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm retired Air Force with Tri-Care Prime. Government will end up paying for my medical care, then the government goes after the party at fault. I already got a form to fill out concerning that from Tri-Care for the $6000+ bill from the hospital emergency room the ambulance took me to after the accident. Tri-Care paid it all...no co-pay at all for me...and now they want the "accident info" about the "other driver". I just send Tri-Care a copy of the accident report.
Tri-Care is very aggressive about recovering their costs in accidents. In the accident that my Mustang was totaled in I had some moderate injuries and fairly expensive ER bills. Tri-Care went after Progressive, the other guys insurance, for all my medical expenses with a vengeance. That's probably why I had to get an attorney for the property losses...:rolleyes1:

Top Bottom