Valve tick

Igo

I understand that you should be able to hear your valves tick just a little but at idle I am hearing what to me seems like a relatively pronounced valve tick. It is a constant tick tick tick tick that immediately goes away with just couple hundred rpm increase. Is this normal? or is it even that valves I am hearing. Actually, if it is valves it is only one valve. tick tick tick tick

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I dunno... I can't even hear my wife about half the time anymore, much less a valve tick. What kind of noise do valve ticks make? Anything like a deer tick's call?

Seriously, does it change as the bike warms up?

OP
OP

Igo

I think it does change. I'm going to listen a bit more carefully tomorrow.

elizilla

Change the oil, see if it helps. Ticks like this that go away when you increase RPMs may be due to low oil pressure. I had a truck that did this, once.

CoolNT

When you had the stealership perform the 600 mile service, what all did they list/work on?

OP
OP

Igo

Change the oil, see if it helps. Ticks like this that go away when you increase RPMs may be due to low oil pressure. I had a truck that did this, once.
There is only 900 miles on new 10W-40. Should I be suspect that the dealer may not have changed the break in oil filter?
The tick I think I'm hearing may be nothing at all. I'll have Rick's bike to compare low idle with in the morning.

OP
OP

Igo

I have a print out that said they checked the valves and they were within spec. Other than that, check nuts, bolts, cables and final drive.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
EDIT...I was hasty....
Anyway, I tended to be very sensitive to engine noises on my VStar. Good that you will have a bike to compare to.
Maybe you are worrying whithout reason.

freezingalaskan

I know somebody that wrenches at a Honda dealer who claims that they normally never do valve adjustments at the 600mi interval. Generally the bikes these days do not need it so they just write "valves are within tollerance" on the work order. I would guess that they were never done. I did not bother with mine at 600mi and now that it has 8k on it, I hear the same sort of thing. I am going to do it this time around. A little loose it better than too tight. How many miles total on the machine?

MAC

valves I am hearing.
Igo,
Try this, with your bike warmed up and in " N " pull your clutch in and see if the noise changes. Some times bikes will have a clutch noise that sounds like some thing else. Some Ducarti's have a dry clutch and they sound like cement mixers.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Mine has cold valve tick---2,000 miles----cold. Based on service manager's advise did not do valve adj at 600 mile check as the shop does not do it Just going to ride and not worry----will get new bike next year when short warranty runs out. Did same with my Suzuki GS500E---rode and didn't worry, 15 months and 64,000 trouble free miles traded.

I do own work and from experience and say many bike shops screw up more than they prevent.

John Grinsel
Wow John, Your the man. 64K miles in 15 months. Thats a lot of riding.

OP
OP

Igo

My bike has 2400 on it. It has sounded this way from day one. I pitted it against Rick's bike last Saturday. They sound identical in every way I could check them. At ground level I can hear the chain, clutch and transmision. This is a rattly little sucker. Runs great though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
At ground level I can hear the chain, clutch and transmision.
Really? Which chain is that?

I had dinner with a friend tonight and he had gotten his '06 Concours out of his storage unit today. He told me he had spent the afternoon adjusting the chain and said that it was sure easier to do than the chains on his Hodakas. (Hodakai?)

Top Bottom