VBR 5

I hope things have changed...My wife and I attended this rally but trailered the bikes up there. I registered and asked where would be a spot to park and they said anywhere you can fit in...Found a place on the grassy hilltop next to a gal with a brand new Can Am Spider and lots of other campers tents etc...perfect!..about 3 hours later a guy came over said I got to move!..I asked to talk to the person who sent him and got attitude..I really thought he was joking so I said ok find me a spot where I can park because by now the park was filling up with rally goers...better yet give me my money back !!!!!...It was a shame because they were having an international Trials event there...seems like that was about 12 or 15 years ago ..... needless to say I totally shun that rally...never did get a reason they wanted me to move but eventually they decided I can stay put because the there was no way I could drive out through the crowded campsite Yes I hope things have changed and whoever that yellow belly coward was in charge that day has got over his problem...sorry for the rant.....:confused: btw it was an excellent Trials event

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I hope things have changed...My wife and I attended this rally but trailered the bikes up there. I registered and asked where would be a spot to park and they said anywhere you can fit in...Found a place on the grassy hilltop next to a gal with a brand new Can Am Spider and lots of other campers tents etc...perfect!..about 3 hours later a guy came over said I got to move!..I asked to talk to the person who sent him and got attitude..I really thought he was joking so I said ok find me a spot where I can park because by now the park was filling up with rally goers...better yet give me my money back !!!!!...It was a shame because they were having an international Trials event there...seems like that was about 12 or 15 years ago ..... needless to say I totally shun that rally...never did get a reason they wanted me to move but eventually they decided I can stay put because the there was no way I could drive out through the crowded campsite Yes I hope things have changed and whoever that yellow belly coward was in charge that day has got over his problem...sorry for the rant.....:confused: btw it was an excellent Trials event
Sounds like back then it was a very poorly run event. The biggest event I go to and camp is OSHkosh. 40,000 souls camping. There are "streets" and there are "avenues." You pick out a spot on a street or avenue, save room for your friends if need be, and mark it with flags, etc. Next time someone tries that hand them a piece of sand paper...when they ask what THAT is tell them is John Wayne toilet paper...rough...tough.....dont take no crap off of campground host.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Failed attempt.
I was going to go to VBR last night for "bike night" and "porchfest". ButI checked my tire pressure and found 20 psi in the rear. Upon examination I found a small staple in the tire in an awkward place. So I took a page from Coote Chris' book and decided to fix the tire with just what I had on the bike even though I had better stuff in my garage.
First the hole was so small and in such a place I had difficulty following the path of the penetration with my plug rasp. So I had to remove the wheel of better access. With the plug successfully in I learned that the patch "kit" I had contained just enough glue in the tube for one plug. The tube was large enough for 4 X the glue than it actually contained. Most challenging was getting the rear tire aligned with the bike bracket and swing arms in order to get the axel bolt through (without more tools). Thankfully, with the Tiger I can remove the rear wheel without removing the brake calipers or rear fender. It will just slide out to the rear with just a slight tilt.

I missed the VBR events. And I learned that my patch kit contained 6 plug ropes and enough glue for only one. WHAT'S IN YOUR BIKE???

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Failed attempt.
I was going to go to VBR last night for "bike night" and "porchfest". ButI checked my tire pressure and found 20 psi in the rear. Upon examination I found a small staple in the tire in an awkward place. So I took a page from Coote Chris' book and decided to fix the tire with just what I had on the bike even though I had better stuff in my garage.
First the hole was so small and in such a place I had difficulty following the path of the penetration with my plug rasp. So I had to remove the wheel of better access. With the plug successfully in I learned that the patch "kit" I had contained just enough glue in the tube for one plug. The tube was large enough for 4 X the glue than it actually contained. Most challenging was getting the rear tire aligned with the bike bracket and swing arms in order to get the axel bolt through (without more tools). Thankfully, with the Tiger I can remove the rear wheel without removing the brake calipers or rear fender. It will just slide out to the rear with just a slight tilt.

I missed the VBR events. And I learned that my patch kit contained 6 plug ropes and enough glue for only one. WHAT'S IN YOUR BIKE???
I have a dyna plug kit for small holes..fast and easy....a plug and go kit with mushroom plugs...and the gummy worm kit. Due to aging weak hands, I have graduated sized tapered rat tailed files with handles. I found I needed these practicing with all three plug kits on old bike tires. I now do leave the can of Slime mixed with pressured air at home due to space. Does that mean I am living life on the edge?VFR tools 2.jpgVFR tools one.jpg

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
LOL.. 6 plugs, glue for 1, how many vulgarities were uttered?
None actually. I have a 1/2 pint of rubber patch cement in the garage that I COULD have used. But knowing that the stuff doesn’t have much shelf life (especially after it was opened) I’m happy to buy new stock. I’m also happy that it was under my seat for 6 years without being needed.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I carry the Stop N Go mushroom plugs. No glue required. I have had to use it once. Very quick and easy to use. The plug lasted the life of the tire.
My only question about them is that many tires have ridged inner surfaces but they still seem to work and seal. I carry them on all my bikes. BTW, if anyone does buy one of the dyna plug kits, get one with the gummys already pre inserted into tubes. After awhile, riding around in bike tool kits, stand alone gummies will start to unravel and they will expand, making them harder to load into the tool. I like the pro aluminum model. You rotate the tire to the leak, push in or pull out the nail, push in the air stop, load the tool with a pre charged tube, pull out the air stop and push it in and you are off to the races for the ubiquitous 1/8 in hole. I like the stop and go pumps but I also carry a small high quality low pressure high volume bicycle hand pump.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I finally made it to a VBR5 event (2 actually). Last Friday I rode up to Aerostich for the "Rider of the Month" gathering. It was a crappy day. There was only Rider of the Month in attendance and 2 of us who came just to visit the event. The one Rider of the Month who showed up rede in from VA on a BMW K bike. He owns 4 Urals and commutes to work daily. Andy Goldfine did most of the talking and served a nice light lunch. But then I heard the thunder and I jumped on my bike to try to get ahead of the storm. I got caught in detour traffic and thoroughly drenched. I did eventually outrun the storm but not until I was 2 miles from home.

IMG_1353.jpegIMG_1351.jpeg

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Then on Saturday I rode to Duluth again to hear a guest speaker, Paul Pelland, (Long Haul Paul) speak about roadside repairs. The weather was much better and so was the attendance. A nice continental breakfast welcomed us and the Speaker made it very worth while. This is the guy who once made a push rod out of a drill bit while on a road trip on his Ural.

Paul was diagnosed with MS and a doctor told him that the cure for MS was a million miles away. So he said to himself "Thats not so bad, I'll just go get it". Now he is over 600,000 miles into his million mile goal "Riding for the Cure" https://www.longhaulpaul.com/ HIs health has improved (he says) as a result of his riding. He is sponsored by Yamaha (among others) and currently rides his second Tenere 700. He told us of some amazing roadside repairs he has made over the years. I encourage you to look at his website on the "repair" for some products we should all have in our tool kit. And I'm sure he'd appreciate your financial support too.

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Stopped there on July 22 and purchased a Darien Jacket and matching Aero AD1 Pants. Been wanting a set for years. Got some time off and rode up from south Mississippi and finally bought a suit. Just got it in the mail today, can't wait to ride in it and get it broke in.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Papa Rick, welcome to the NT-Owners Forum! It's one of the most helpful and one of the very friendliest forums you'll find anywhere. Why don't you introduce yourself to us and tell us a bit about your riding history.

I've never had a Darien and AD1 pants, but I am on my 3rd 1-piece Stitch.

Top Bottom