Vehicle maintenance software ?

ett

Since the early 90's; I've been using an old DOS based program for keeping track of expenses of my vehicles.
It's and old shareware program (which I registered ;) ), from the late 80's to early 90'2 called C.A.R.S. (Complete Automobile Reporting System).
I bought it when my computer was a Tandy 1000HX. :p
It's so old; that doing an Internet search for it comes up virtual no results.
BUT it mostly suits my purposes just fine.
Here's a few screenshots:
CARS1.JPGCARS2.JPGCARS3.JPGCARS4.JPGCARS5.JPGCARS6.JPGCARS7.JPGCARS8.JPG

The only things that I wish it had; was:
  • A way to display only certain categories of expenses. Such as only display fuel, or only tires, or only insurance, or only fees, etc ...
  • Service reminders; such "oil change due soon", "air filter change due soon", "diff fluid change due", etc ...

Over the years, I will periodically look for a replacement.
While I found a few interesting programs. They all seem to fall short in one manor or another.
Here's the one I found to be the most promising: Kaizen Software - Vehicle Manager
I've played with it on and off for a couple years. But what stopped me from ever buying it was:
  • I don't see a way to list all expenses.
  • It doesn't appear to have a way to add additional expense categories. You are stuck with what they programmed into the software. Which is only; fuel, service, + parts/labor.
    Accessories, registration fees, insurance payments, loan payments, etc... would all have to be considered as parts/labor ? :(
Other than creating some type of spreadsheet. Because I hate using spreadsheets.
Anyone using, or know of, a program that might be what I am searching for ?

Thanks;
--ET

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I used Microsoft's Access database to log maintenance and warranty info when I was working. Once it was designed I could do a report on any field and get all the data I wanted. But when I retired it retired...:old1: There are a lot of good database programs that will allow you to create a database with any fields you desire. I do have to admit I'd probably whip a spreadsheet in Excel before I'd pay for another MS product.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I use Word and create a no-brainer, text program with date, mileage and what was done on that date. Parts that are changed are in bold italics so easy to spot.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I created my own using MS Excel.

Mike
Likewise. We live in a weirdly public day in so many ways, so I use something homegrown and shy away from the cloud based options on the basis that whoever runs that server really doesn't need to be in touch with my information.

So I record my fuel mileage each time I refuel, and the accumulated miles automatically post to a tab (worksheet) with the maintenance schedule in topical groups. Periodically I click the tab to see where I am in terms of miles and upcoming maintenance.

Not terribly sophisticated as Excel goes, but it works for me.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I use a white board just out side the garage house entrance, so I am reminded each time I enter the house from the garage.. I also use the a paper copy of the manufactures service check list keep in a binder with the service manual and any notes I may have collected from different sources for care and maint. of my machines. Simple easy, no need to fool with computers, pass words, spread sheets, or other miscellaneous electronic aggravations. Maintaining a motorcycle is not rocket science and does not require overzealous record keeping. I am old and grumpy and I like it that way.:biggrin: KISS

SAM_7682.JPGSAM_7683.JPG

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I have used the iphone app ROAD TRIP for many years.
It has many more features that I need and you can add anything in the notes.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I use a pen and paper, works for me.
Not even this...
Maintaining a 12,000km/7500miles regime, tires, liquids filters, the whole overhaul...
Forks, valves and final drive see a 36,000/22500 interval...
And during any occasion I'm already in there anyway, taking care of anything that pops up, coolant hoses, calipers, wheel bearings, hub dampers...
Things like lubing the kick-stand, shifter linkage and the drive splines go along while the bike is on the lift...

Top Bottom