[Review] Vemar CKQI

maxweljames

Just got my new Vemar CKQI. I've been in the market for a new open face/modular. My old AFX is on it's last leg, scratched, dropped, liner is getting pretty bad, etc.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19367/ITEM/Vemar-CKQI-Helmet.aspx

I was planning on getting the HJC IS33, tried on, fit was ok but it just wasn't wowing me. The CKQI has some wow factor in spades. All the reviews agree it's a weird fit. I've been having trouble finding something I like as I'm trying on all brands anytime I pass a motorcycle shop. The IS33 was the best of the lot so far. So i figured I'd give Vemar a go, worst case is I eat the shipping cost to return it since nobody locally carries that brand.

Out of the box, on the head, it's a little tight across the top and my ears are getting folded down. Off and on a few times trying different entry angles so to speak and it's getting better. Some finger workings fix the ears but they are still pretty tight against my head, this is a problem since I wear glasses, need that gap. So some more on and offs and I decide it's a nice fit across the top and back, sides are still questionable. I put it on for about 30 minutes around the house and it's pretty nice. Out of the box I worried about it being too small, I think one size up and it would be just a tad too loose. So the executive decision is made, I'm keeping it. Overall shape is a good fit to my head.

I did a quick trip around the neighborhood on the NT wearing it to make sure I liked the visibility, it's awesome by the way with the giant bug eye shield. Internal sun visor could stand to be lowered about 1/4 of an inch but we'll see after using it more.

So now to work on those ear locations. Removable liner is nice, giving me access to the inside foam. The liner is what I would call on the thin side of standard, nothing fancy at all. That means the inside foam is right there against your head. Some quick marks with a pencil, a few slashes with a knife and my ears now have plenty of room with more foam still there for liner support. I've had the helmet on with my glasses for about 45 minutes and it's noticeably better than earlier. Tomorrow will be the true test, my daily commute of 22 miles, country roads, in town, and a short strip of I-95 at 75mph. Supposed to be about 52 deg. during my morning ride in so that should be a good temp to check for air leaks and turbulence at high speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You know you're going to have air leaks! It's an open helmet, for cryin' out loud! But maybe the turbulence won't be too bad behind the NT's windscreen.

I hope it works for you!

OP
OP

maxweljames

You know you're going to have air leaks! It's an open helmet, for cryin' out loud! But maybe the turbulence won't be too bad behind the NT's windscreen.
Indeed I do expect some, however it is a true modular helmet with full chin bar. Most pictures of it are shown without. So the first ride with it will be with the chin bar installed. By this afternoon it will be in the high 70's and will provide a nice test run without the bar. Well, it's about time to saddle up. I guess that mean I have to go to work now..................

OP
OP

maxweljames

Ok, so here it is for the cold weather ops with this helmet. Left the house at 46 degrees. Normally I'd have on a neck wrap in those temps but I left it off to see what the helmet actually protects.

This helmet is styled more as a 3/4 at the back, so the back of my neck and even a little bit of my head was exposed, kind of chilly. The chin bar is open vented so it does not prevent the cool air from entering but it does stop any turbulance from crossing my face which was nice. I think a couple of small strips of tape on the inside would be enough to close off the air vents and keep the lower part of my face slightly warmer.

I did find that my left ear still has some pressure on it, so some more "surgery" on the internal polystyrene foam is in order for tonight. I normally ride with the windshield in the 2nd from top position, helmet was quiet, literally no air leaks around the face shield which is much better than my old AFX. About half way to work I dropped the windshield full down, noise went up drastically, I would call it on par with a cheaper helmet. But I'm very impressed with the lack of air leaks around the face shield with the windshield full down. However, back of head was getting even colder with more airflow around me in this condition. I think I'll stick with my normal gear up of a neck wrap when riding below 50 degrees.

On a side note, trying to put this helmet on with chin bar installed is difficult for me as I have a slightly above average sized nose. It seemed easiest to put the helmet on, then install the chin bar, it's a quick push in style, and easily pops off by means of two push button releases.

This afternoon temps are supposed to be in the high 80's so I'm looking forward to seeing how well the top vent does for keeping me cool. I rode in to work in the dark so in a few hours we'll see how well the internal sun visor does. I've got my sunglasses with me just in case it totally sucks. More to come.

OP
OP

maxweljames

Warm weather report, rode TO work in 46 deg. Rode home FROM work, it was 90 degrees. Gotta love the spring/summer time swing of Savannah. So chin bar is off, rode most of the way with windshield at 2nd from top. Again it's fairly quiet, little to no turbulence around my face, though it was unusual to feel airflow near my nose and not my eyes as the face shield cuts up around the nose area. Not a bad thing, just different. The face shield is a fairly rounded bubble in design instead of straight up and down, this makes it great for putting full up. As it curves around the helmet it prevents it from becoming a giant air scoop. Again, I put the windshield all the way down to see what it's like out in the breeze. More turbulence for sure but not nearly as much as wearing just a shorty helmet, able to keep eyes fully open entire time. Face shield in the full up position is still easy as well.

I have a couple of negatives after putting about 50 miles on today. One is the internal sun visor, it doesn't go down far enough so I think I'll end up just wearing my sunglasses anyways. The other negative is the chin strap, it's either too wide or it's set just slightly to for aft, while riding I found that it was pushing on my throat just a bit(something I didn't notice while wearing around the house last night) If I had to look down for whatever reason it pushed on my throat a lot. It's really just enough to make it uncomfortable after awhile. I'll reserve final judgement on the straps until after it's broken in a little, could be that they are just a little stiff right now.

Overall I think it will be a fine helmet.

Top Bottom