Vibrations on the handlebars ? / A comparison -

OP
OP

skiper

Fieroguy - can you remember back to when you put on the MCL riser ? Did high frequency hum increase ?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only vibrations that changed on mine over the years were from the transmission (maybe final drive) and the tires.

The tires were the most noticeable. As they got worn in they would make more noise and vibration. PR3's were much better.

Gearbox got smoother.

The buzz in the bars is consistent with the firing cycle of the engine so don't think it will change over time. :)

OP
OP

skiper

I think it's coming from the engine also - engine clearances change with hours on the "clock"

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
I have had that numbing vibration on most of my bikes that were V-Twins. It mostly goes away when I release the "death-grip" on the handle bars. My new Bolt vibrates some, but not bad. I think the only bike I owned without vibration was my '83 Honda Shadow 750. A great bike by the way.:D

GregO

Does anyone else find the gear shifting a little "clunky" sounding. Granted this is my first bike... but I haven't ever noticed the sound coming from other bikes... and I only have 110 miles on it so far. Also.. still a newby hear mind you... but as I decelerate its doesnt sound so smooth either. This is a brand new 2011 model. Need I be worried... I need to ride someone else's a little to compare maybe. Or maybe they can ride mine. Ill ask Big Bill who lives an hour a way to check it out as well next time he is in town.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
My Buddy has a Big Beemer sport tourer and when we traded and went for a ride he said "Boy I wished my bike shifted that nice!" I love the way it shifts, compared to my old GPz it is so much smoother. I also like the whine as I decelerate from the drive shaft, and I get that noise all the time as where I live if your not going uphill, you are going downhill! I do have have 13K miles, and maybe I am just used to it, maybe it is smoothing out with age, maybe both!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Does anyone else find the gear shifting a little "clunky" sounding. Granted this is my first bike... but I haven't ever noticed the sound coming from other bikes... and I only have 110 miles on it so far. Also.. still a newby hear mind you... but as I decelerate its doesnt sound so smooth either. This is a brand new 2011 model. Need I be worried... I need to ride someone else's a little to compare maybe. Or maybe they can ride mine. Ill ask Big Bill who lives an hour a way to check it out as well next time he is in town.

Sorry but I had to laugh. Try riding an older Guzzi and you'll think the NTs tranny is like butter.

Of course, you can go ride a BMW F800 and you'll think the NT transmission is from a tractor. And after 5min on the beemer you'll swear the NT doesn't buzz at all in comparison to the beemer.

It is all relative.

The NT transmission does clunk a little, but, it is nothing to be worried about. You don't hear it on other bikes until you ride them :)

The NT bars buzz, especially at 5k rpm and up, but, it is nothing to be worried about and it really isn't a bother. Other bikes vibrate/buzz more, some less. Heck, if it wasn't a problem then there would not be any gel grips, foam grips, gel padded gloves, bar snakes, bar end weights and Rox isolated risers. Those products were around a long time before the NT was produced. ;)

OP
OP

skiper

Charlie - I think you are talking about the low frequency vibe , Fieroguy and I were talking the high frequency stuff. This topics terminology is about as vague as the "war on terror". Nobody ever defines the catch phrases so we all vote on different things or vote em in to find out what we voted on - welcome to the modern world..

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nope am talking about higher freq "buzz". All of those products are designed to combat high freq, low amplitude vibrations.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nope. 5000rpm. 5000 power strokes per minute (4 stroke motor, 2 cyl). That is ~80 pulses per second. A little bit faster than 60Hz cycle in a power line. That's about what I felt in the handlebar. A buzz.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm withchoo, Charlie!

If you generate power by making explosions, I believer it'll be almost impossible to not have some kind of buzz/vibration. When I had my C-10 Concourses, they ran at slightly lower rpm than the NT does. Like a bit over 4K rpm at 75; they had 4 cyl, two firing every revolution, so 8,000 explosions every minute. Each cylinder was only 250 ccs, so the explosions were maybe slightly smaller, but people said, "The Connie is a 'buzzy' bike."

I'd started with a 650cc '83 Honda Silverwing, a 90-degree v-twin, it didn't buzz as much as the Connie but had more vibration than the NT does, even though the rpm/mile was close to the same and the engine was a similar displacement.

Six-cylinder engines have fewer vibrations, but there's still a difference in a power stroke and a compression stroke.

OP
OP

skiper

Dirtflier - thanks for the correction. I was describing the balking while shifting into and out of neutral , rolling at about 30 mph. I used to do this regularly on a hill nearby. When tranny was brand new it whined a bit sounding like synchros - but can't be.. eventually this shifting from neutral up to second or third is going smooth now. Do you think rolling fast in neutral on a lonely sidestreet is a bad idea ?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Do you think rolling fast in neutral on a lonely sidestreet is a bad idea?...] It doesn't hurt the bike but why would you do it?

In the MSF courses, they always stress being ready to make any necessary moves to avoid an accident and being in neutral is counter to that idea. When I come to a stop with cars behind me, I always downshift to 1st and leave it there until everyone stops...plus allow room for an exit to avoid being sandwiched.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
(...Do you think rolling fast in neutral on a lonely sidestreet is a bad idea?.. It doesn't hurt the bike but why would you do it?)

Only if you don't want her father to know which direction you went!:D

Bike
2010 NT700V
(...Do you think rolling fast in neutral on a lonely sidestreet is a bad idea?.. It doesn't hurt the bike but why would you do it?)

Only if you don't want her father to know which direction you went!:D
Good one.
I'm sure glad that, many years ago, cars and bikes didn't have lights that couldn't be turned off.

Reidar Rova

Hallo Rocky
I am from sweden Ume? and i maybe will buy honda dauville 700- 07
I am a Little guy
I won to get the hadlebars near me
You said you pulled the bars back with what
Please help me

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Check and adjust your valves and throttle cables will make a difference< as Sam says NT VIBRATES??LOL !
He who has ridden old British bikes and old Milwaukie Iron will definatly ask you, and or ask you; WHAT VIBRATION???

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am a Little guy
I won to get the hadlebars near me
You said you pulled the bars back with what
Please help me
I used Motorcycle Larry's bar risers, but there are lots of risers out there. Mine raised the bars about an inch and moved them back a bit. By rotating the bars down, it put the grip area closer to me.

Top Bottom