Voltmeter Added

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Fitted the Add-On ambient temperature gauge a while ago, decided to add the matching voltmeter. Ordered from Cyclemax (good comms etc) in USA, arrived a few days later in the UK cost about $30with shipping and no customs issues. Took about 45mins to fit - most time with tupperware removal. Just get brave with Dremel and sharp Stanley knife!!

Matches temperature gauge (in deg F note) a treat and lets me know when volts are a problem and gives me something else to distract attention from the road.....

Large black rectangle holds my phone which also gives me GPS maps etc via bluetooth for nothing on top of my phone rental (in the UK at least!!).

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
That is a very nice installation. Out of curiosity, does the temp gauge have a remote probe that picks up ambient temp or is it internal in the gauge? Again, congrats on a great looking installation!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a voltmeter and a (remote) thermometer that look just like that. If anybody's interested, I'd sell 'em cheap. I offered them once before and when someone was interested I couldn't find them. But now I think I know where they are.

BTW, moriniman, it looks like your odometer says 52,000+ miles. If it does, I'll send you a 50,000 mile sticker for your Deauville. My stickers go with the bike, not the rider, so even if you bought it new, I'd be happy to ship you one.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Great install! If you have the time and pix, can you post how you did it?

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Answers to a few queries from the thread:
- Thermometer has a remote probe for ambient air - it is the matching Add-On meter. Probe has about a 3 foot lead - mine is stuck through a small hole by the mirror stem and is unaffected by direct sun (not that we get that hot in the UK!!)
- Odometer does indeed say 52000 miles plus, so happy to have a sticker!!
- Install is straightforward - get/cut a small sticky label/post-it note to the right size (info with meter gives size), stick on dash panel as per picture (top 3/8" down from the triangular slot and about the same from the inner end of the slot) and drill a small (7/64") hole in each corner and the middle of each side. Get sharp knife and slice carefully (wearing of course hard hat, steel boots, Kevlar gloves, dust mask and eye protection.......) between the holes. There is nothing behind there. Remove panel (or you can remove panel and the cut) by taking of the pockets and undoing the two screws that hold it in place and pulling appropriately. Connect to an ignition source with red/black cable (very thin is fine as almost no power consumption), refit panel, admire handiwork.

Also did some science (sort of) checking the volts:
- Engine idle - lights (low beam) on get 14.3V, at 5000rpm get 14.4V -as one should with an alternator
- add main beam, brake lights or heated grips and see 14.0V at idle, 14.2V at 5Krpm
- Add fog lights (2 x35W Honda ones) and get 13.7V, 14.1V at 5krpm
- switch on Fog, heated grips and main beam (as per a dark winter ride!!) and get 13.7V at whatever rpm
- keep the above on and brake (another 42W of brake lights and volts drop to 12.7.

Clearly alternator can just about keep up, but add in GPS/phone, a heated vest and it would be marginal - LED fogs and brake lights (of suitable lumens) would help reduce the load, as would just going out on nice days when the sun is shining.....

Attachments

Top Bottom