Voltmeter and Thermometer

Today in the mail, I received the two digital gauges I ordered last week. I placed one in each speaker grill, using a razor knife to carve the holes. The voltmeter is on the left, and the thermometer is on the right. I removed the two glove cubbies for space to complete the wiring. The total cost was about $45.oo and it took me about three hours.Voltmeter.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What did you hook the power wires to, Don? Did you hook them to switched circuits or non-switched. I can't really imagine that they draw much current. I thought about putting one in each grille, but decided that the brake reservoir got in the way of an easy view on the right side. You look like you might be taller than me @ 5'8".

It's gotta' warm up before I'm staying in my garage for any three hours!

I have loved having a thermometer on the bike and had used the Big Bike 5-function thermometer/voltmeter/clock/timer/icy-condition indicator on my two Connies. But the one I put on the NT got filled with water (in spite of my having "sealed" it with silicone) and (because it was "sealed" probably) never dried out. I don't think these little jewels will ever get wet, do you?

By the way, if your battery is really down below 3V, you may have a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rotorhead
I originlly thought about going hot on the wiring, straight to the battery. But then I also knew I didn't want them illuminated 24/7, so I went thru a switched circuit, using Posi-Taps for the connections. Through this application and connection, I fell in love with the Posi-Taps, and went to www.easternbeaver.com and ordered a good supply. His prices are very competative and I can't drive all the way into town and shop for them at a lower price.

I am a satisfied customer and comsumer

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don, which wires on the NT did you tap into? And is there any reason I couldn't get both indicators into the left-hand speaker grille?

OP
OP
Rotorhead
The speaker grills are reasonable rigid black plastic. By luck, I was able to cut my two holes with enough precision that I didn't need to use the brass retaining pieces on the backside of the grill. Stacking won't work, I don't believe, but they should fit it side by side. If you feel the face of the gauge, you can see the 1/32" retaining frame around the front; that is all that prevents it from just falling into the cut hole. I think the placement and proximity of the two gauges could profit from at least 1/4" supporting framework on the grill.

OP
OP
Rotorhead
In addition, just thinking that I wanted my voltmeter placed where I could keep an evil eye on it easily and continually; I had an alternator go T/U on a Gold Wing, and I sure like advanced warning. As for the thermometer, I can ride for an hour, have a passing thought about the heat/cold, and just crane my neck momentarily to verify that . . . yes, it's bloody hot ! !

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don, Please tell me: Which wires did you tap into???

OP
OP
Rotorhead
This is sloppy work on my end. I looked under the tank on the port side, and using my circuit tester, found a 18 gauge wire which was switched, and Posi-Tapped into it and likewise the ground. And just for clarification, I could find no wiring at all on the starboard side of the tank. All wiring bundles for everything on the front and top of the bike passes thru the left side.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK. That's all the information I needed to know. Sounds like we both take the same precision approach to electrical circuits. BTW, what voltage do you see most of the time? What was that "2.3V" or whatever it was in your picture?

OP
OP
Rotorhead
Last night, I cranked it up, and showed 14.5 then turned the heated grips on, and read 14.4

Good Lord willing, I'll take it out for a road test tomorrow, and see what the actual numbers are after 30 minutes or so

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Over this side of the pond I have mounted the temperature gauge in the cockpit surround above the fuel gauge and just below the slot in the top. Easy to do, voltmeter could easily be added to balance on the opposite side. Can be seen from a normal riding position, speaker grilles are rather hidden IMO. A few pics below (hopefully):

Can just about cope with it reading deg F rather than deg C as I'm old enough to remember the former!!

elizilla

There's a temperature probe under the mirror mount - see the little black nub sticking out?

Top Bottom