VSS question

johnha

So I'm farkling away, and picked the Audiovox Cruise unit to install on the NT. I was the beta site for doing this mod to a V65 Sabre and also put the same on my 1991 ST1100 which is primarily why I picked this unit.

BUT, one of the options for hookup is via the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which requires you to know how many Pulses Per Mile the VSS puts out. I've been through the Service Manual twice and cannot locate this information.

Anyone have any idea?

elizilla

Is there a test function that would allow you to count them while driving a measured mile, to find out?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The Audiovox instructions don't say that it will work on a twin, but before I bought a $50 new-in-the-box cruise control not long after I bought the NT in April of 2010, I got confirmation that it would work with a twin. I looked at the available space and decided I wasn't going to be the beta site tester, of even the 34th tester and sold it a few weeks ago to a guy who was going to install it on a Concours. If you figure out how to make it work, I'd sure appreciate a write-up so I can beat myself severely about the head and shoulders. I loved the Audiovox, even if the Throttlemeister does work fairly well for me.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
John,

I think I read over on the UK forum that the Pink / Green wire, on the auxiliary wiring harness, is used to send Vehicle Speed to the optional Honda, Europe only, navigation system. Looking at the schematic ECM Connector B Pin 28 is labeled VSP and goes straight from ECM to the auxiliary wiring harness connector on Pin 3. That is the same connector we use for Hondaline heated grips on Pins 1 and 2 for Auxilary power....

OP
OP

johnha

O well, noone said it would be easy. Thanks for the replies. Katherine- I had discussed with my brother ways for measuring the pulses over a measured mile, and what equipment you use would be determined by the type of signal. Paul's suggestion sounds like an alternative if I go that route.
Wayne, thanks, I do see that wire going to the VS Sensor now that you've pointed it out. Phil - I will document whatever I do including pictures.

Its just aggravating to me when I cannot locate known data. I may just end up using the coil wire signal. That worked very well on the previous two non-VSS equipped installs that I did.

elizilla

When I installed the Pro-Oiler chain oiler on my VFR, it had a test function that let you count the pulses per wheel revolution, like Paul suggests. That chain oiler is sitting on my workbench since Ryder didn't want it when I sold the bike to him. I could lend it to you to use for this project, just let me know.

Top Bottom