Warning

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Warning from Apple. If you use an iPhone on your handlebars, cease immediately. Vibration damages the image stabilizer. Chris at reno.IMG_20210911_153949699_HDR.jpg

Reactions: JQL
Never heard that before. I used my iPhone 6 a lot on my handlebars with no issues. But I’m going to stop using my new phone that way.

This is a problem with phones which have OIS (optical Image stabilization) where the sensor physically moves to compensate for shake. Iphone 6 does not have OIS, so it is not affected.

I have personally seen an iphone (my riding buddy' phone) where the camera went crazy due to the virbaton in his bar.

Now he uses the quad lock with vibration dampener setup.

I use a tomtom rider 550 :)

Never heard that before. I used my iPhone 6 a lot on my handlebars with no issues. But I’m going to stop using my new phone that way.
I had to get 3 iPhones replaced due to the camera would not focus on anything. When trying to take a picture, the image would be jiggling around and an audible clicking noise could be heard. The first time I had to go to the Apple Store to get the camera replaced. It was not covered under the warranty as it ran out 2 weeks before this happened. It cost me $90 or so. In about 2 weeks it started happening again. Then the Pandemic happened and all the Apple Stores were closed indefinitely. I had to send it in for a refurbished one at a cost of $300 and then get back a $150 credit once they received my returned one back.

From Apple

“High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and handlebars. It is not recommended to attach your iPhone to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines due to the amplitude of the vibration in certain frequency ranges that they generate. Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations, but if you do so a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.
1. OIS is available on iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 7 and later including iPhone SE (2nd generation). Note that the Ultra Wide camera on iPhone 11 and later doesn't have OIS, nor does the Telephoto camera on iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus.
2. Closed-loop AF is available on iPhone XS and later, including iPhone SE (2nd generation).”

Being an "old school" type of guy, I still use a motorcycle specific GPS (Zumo 590LM) and I could give a hoot less about taking photos on a bike trip! :)

But the navigation on my phone works both better and easier than any GPS I’ve ever had including the Garmin Zumo XT I have now.

Being an "old school" type of guy, I still use a motorcycle specific GPS (Zumo 590LM) and I could give a hoot less about taking photos on a bike trip! :)
There have been instances that having a phone saved my bacon in several occasions. Between flat tires, equipment malfunctions, and last year’s crash all of which that required a ride home on a flatbed. Not having a phone would have made a bad situation far worse.

There have been instances that having a phone saved my bacon in several occasions. Between flat tires, equipment malfunctions, and last year’s crash all of which that required a ride home on a flatbed. Not having a phone would have made a bad situation far worse.

i use TomTom rider 550 for longer and unknown road rides...

Phone is backup and has saved me a few times too... and I do keep a RAM phone mount in my tankbag for such scenerios...

PS: i use Waze on the phone and am now tuned to it. So the phone stays in my jacket pocket and the navigation directions are piped to my BT headset...

I hardly need a screen now .. i f I need, I will pull over to a safe point and look over ...

My android phone is with me on rides, either in one of the cases or in my riding jacket's inside pocket, but it's not mounted on the handlebars!

In possible bad weather, I love being able to stop and see a storm line forming/moving on a phone weather map so I can plan to ride in another direction or stop for coffee and let the storm pass. And of course, this is presuming you have service at that point!

Last edited:
My Garmin Zumo 595 has weather radar provided you have cell service. The resolution isn't as good as on your phone and it only refreshed manually but helps you figger out an alternate path to avoid a deluge.

Mile

I'm thinking this thread does not apply to my flip phone that is carried in my pocket.
I may not have the age many of you do but I practice my old school stuff often.

Brad

I'm thinking this thread does not apply to my flip phone that is carried in my pocket.
I may not have the age many of you do but I practice my old school stuff often.

Brad
Just to rub it in. Nixon was president when I was born. 😁

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

I use my iPhone exclusively but I am not riding a “high power, high volume” bike either. My little 300 CC Yamaha also has a counter balancer in it. The SP Connect mounting system I use provides a rubber isolating system so I guess I will take my chances.

I too prefer the "redundancy" of completely independent, separated systems... plus the features a bike specific satnav comes along with...
So if one goes berserk, the rest will remain unaffected... and should even my second, spare GPS fail, I still got a Michelin paper-map packed... :cool:

Besides the mechanical parts of camera lens systems every soldering spot, every electrical contact (i.e. SIM & MicroSD slot prongs) will suffer due prolong exposure to vibrations...
(bike specific devices have enforced PCBs, protruding components are extra supported if not even are filled with epoxy to fixate/protect everything...)
Phone is in my jacket's inside pocket, cameras & netbook in their (cushioned!) bags are stored in the tank-bag (the most "quiet" place on a motorcycle...)

Does anyone make something to mount our phone to the tankbag? I tried putting my I-touch in the top map pocket and it got overheated and shut down.
I am thinking of maybe trying Velcro.

I found that direct sunlight whether under a plastic or in the open can over heat a phone. If the sun hits at a very low angle that won't usually happen. The direct angle of the sunlight was the biggest problem. Hot ambient air temperature is a factor too.

Just another reason why I still like my paper maps.

Back
Top Bottom