Water Pump, anyone?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Have any of you replaced a water pump? Last week I had noticed an oil drip on my garage floor when Larry and I left for Ft Collins. When I got back, I realized that it was bigger than I had thought, so I called our local Honda shop, thinking it might be something related to their work at the end of last summer. I was surprised when the service manager told me he could get me in to look at it the next day.

I took it in and he called me later that afternoon to tell me it was my water pump and I was leaking both oil and coolant. I had had this happen with one of my '09 Connies, too. He had done some checking and told me that the water pump was available, but that my oil cooler hoses (which are part of the water pump assembly, I guess -- at least they're on that part of the parts fiche) were backordered with no date given for when they might be available. I asked if he would use the hoses if I was able to source them from someone other than Honda and he said he'd be glad to do that.

So, I looked at Partzilla and placed an order. They accepted it and projected a shipping date of today. But then today, I got a message from Partzilla that the parts were backordered with no expected date of availability. Phooey!

I haven't looked anywhere else or checked to see if I can source it from someone else. I'm sure open to ideas and suggestions.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In looking at the fiche, they are most certainly molded hoses. You can try to take the old hoses to an auto parts store and see if they have anything to match them up with. Don't try using coolant hoses though as they will not withstand the oil and heat long term. You want power steering or auto trans hoses. My other suggestion is that David Silver may be an alternative source. All US dealers get their parts from American Honda, but Silver may source them from Honda UK. If they don't, try looking online at a UK dealer. It won't be cheap and shipping may be a killer but it may get you on the road quicker.

Hope this helps!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I changed the water pump on my NT several years ago and reused the standard hoses and no problems with leaking since then.

Your dealership wants to change them because it's good practice when doing a water pump to replace the hoses but since I don't have to worry about "comebacks" or an irate customer, I didn't change the hoses! :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I looked at ordering from the UK and the part has to be special ordered there, too. I'll talk to the dealer about reusing the hoses that are on the bike.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Mike, the hoses are COOLANT hoses, not oil hoses. They transfer the coolant from the pump through the base of the oil cooler and back to the pump.
For the past couple of years my water pump has weeped oil from the "bleed" hole but it is never enough to drip on the ground.
It just makes the bottom of the pump damp enough to attract the dust. I simply wipe it clean with each bike wash.
I have a spare secondhand pump but the weep has never become worse.
Phil, the angle of the moulding is tight but you could probably use these, trimmed down:

I don't remember if the barbs are 8 or 10mm but both are available.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks for the info Macka. The fiche called 'em oil cooler hoses so I "assumed" they conducted oil.... who woulda' thunk? If they are coolant hoses, you can likely find a matchup at an auto parts store. The Gates 18000 series coolant hoses have a number of small diameter molded hoses that will likely fill the bill. Just take the old hoses with you to make sure that the ID is similar and the bends are correct. You may have to cut them to length. If you do find the correct hoses at the parts store make sure that you write down the brand and part numbers used as that info may prove valuable to future NT owners.

Mike

Generally, if a Honda dealer shows a part is backordered with no due-out date, that means the mothership has none in the pipeline, and is waiting to see if there is enough demand to make another production run. Your only hope then is to comb the dealers and Internet to find one in stock somewhere. But since really nobody keeps local stock any more, chances are slim.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My computer has been down all day, so I don't know if I heard anything back from David Silver Spares, but I went online to Honda of Bournemouth in the UK and got the same out of stock no date for availability message there.

I went to the dealership today and the mechanic said he thought it would probably be OK to reuse them, so for now that's the plan. If they're off the bike, I might take them to the auto parts store and see if they can match them.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If they are not soft and spongey and have no bulges, they are probably OK to reuse. Modern coolant hoses are made of much tougher stuff than hoses of yesteryear.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Those are different hoses. The ones I "needed" are connected to the water pump and send coolant (not oil, it turns out) to the bottom of the oil of the oil cooler.

They are parts number 4 and 5 on the diagram.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wild West finished my bike today. Runs well and doesn't leak. Still doesn't overheat. Naturally, today was the last decent day that I could have had to ride. Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be in the high 50's and mid 60s, but I'm on call for Hospice both days so won't be able to ride. Not much decent riding weather predicted for the next two weeks. Oh, well....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Wild West finished my bike today. Runs well and doesn't leak. Still doesn't overheat. Naturally, today was the last decent day that I could have had to ride. Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be in the high 50's and mid 60s, but I'm on call for Hospice both days so won't be able to ride. Not much decent riding weather predicted for the next two weeks. Oh, well....
Well, if you are on call, you have a cell phone don'tcha? Just stay close and ride close.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
With the combination of my hearing and my ear plugs, I can't hear my cell phone when I'm riding. And there's really not anywhere close that's worth riding around. If it's really nice tomorrow, I may go for a semi-local ride anyway. I can usually get away with an hour or so. Of course, every time I try that, I get called.

BTW, I got on MapPoint last night and planned my ride to WV, including your house on my 2nd night on the road. I'll probably get there earlier this year than I did last time because I'll get away from here before noon and won't sleep so late on the road. Seems to me I left Eldorado at about 10 or 11 last time. Plus, I'm not semi-panicked about getting on and off the bike now and that helps. I'm still hoping you'll find a way to get loose and make it to the Rally with me. I probably won't stop at your place on the way between Barber Motorsports and Moorhead, MN. I'd be a loooong way from Moorhead for one day's ride. So, I'll probably try to get up into central Iowa before I stop for the night on that leg.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
With the combination of my hearing and my ear plugs, I can't hear my cell phone when I'm riding. And there's really not anywhere close that's worth riding around. If it's really nice tomorrow, I may go for a semi-local ride anyway. I can usually get away with an hour or so. Of course, every time I try that, I get called.

BTW, I got on MapPoint last night and planned my ride to WV, including your house on my 2nd night on the road. I'll probably get there earlier this year than I did last time because I'll get away from here before noon and won't sleep so late on the road. Seems to me I left Eldorado at about 10 or 11 last time. Plus, I'm not semi-panicked about getting on and off the bike now and that helps. I'm still hoping you'll find a way to get loose and make it to the Rally with me. I probably won't stop at your place on the way between Barber Motorsports and Moorhead, MN. I'd be a loooong way from Moorhead for one day's ride. So, I'll probably try to get up into central Iowa before I stop for the night on that leg.
Well, if time is not an issue, on your way from Barber to Moorhead, stop here for the night and then head north and stop for the night at Anamosa, IA and visit the National Motorcycle Museum and head to MN from there. Also, if time permits, the John Deere Museum in Moline, IL is worthwhile if you like tractors and stuff.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
FYI: the water pump is driven by the oil pump which is on the opposite side of the engine, and very low. Both pumps are inline with each other and partially submerged in engine oil. There is a seal on the drive face of the water pump that keeps oil from entering into the coolant. It's pretty much the way they do the water pump on all Honda V-twins.

My NC700XD, inclined parallel twin, drives the water pump off the end of the cam on the left side so it sits high on the engine. :) .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I tested my bike today with a little 61-mile ride. It worked. I wandered around southwest of Greeley and actually found a road that had curves without going into the mountains. I was on call for Hospice and didn't want to wander too far from home. Of course, when I got home, I realized I'd been riding without either my personal phone, my Hospice phone, or my billfold. I think that's the first time I've ever ridden without my driver's license since I started riding 21 years ago. Fortuitously, I didn't get stopped or have a wreck or need to make a call or need to buy gas.... And, best of all, I hadn't missed a call from Hospice.

I also notice that Mike Simmons and I are tied for 2020 miles -- even if we're both several hundred miles behind Woodaddict.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
:ROFLMAO:
I tested my bike today with a little 61-mile ride. It worked. I wandered around southwest of Greeley and actually found a road that had curves without going into the mountains. I was on call for Hospice and didn't want to wander too far from home. Of course, when I got home, I realized I'd been riding without either my personal phone, my Hospice phone, or my billfold. I think that's the first time I've ever ridden without my driver's license since I started riding 21 years ago. Fortuitously, I didn't get stopped or have a wreck or need to make a call or need to buy gas.... And, best of all, I hadn't missed a call from Hospice.

I also notice that Mike Simmons and I are tied for 2020 miles -- even if we're both several hundred miles behind Woodaddict.
It is my intent to leap ahead of you mileage wise tomorrow and make a run for David... :ROFLMAO:! I'm thinking of a ride along the Mississippi to Hannibal and then down the Illinois side which should be about a ~275 mile ride. If I really feel ambitious, I may ride to Branson for lunch and then back which would be about ~400 miles. I rode the Yammy today about 25 miles to check out the fork rebuild and rear shocks. The forks are slightly misaligned so I will have to tweak 'em a wee bit to make it right.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I will ride 1.0 miles tomorrow to get gas before the next snow arrives on Monday night. You'll be way ahead.

What about WV?

Top Bottom