average 7 miles a day??? whimpy, I tell you whimpy

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
No excuses. Just facts. The bike was in the shop for two weeks. I'm not tough enough to ride on the ice in my alley. But I'll never catch up with you. At least not in daily mileage. Or total mileage. Like everyone else, I stand in awe of your wonderfulness. :rolleyes:šŸ˜¬

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Phil,

My water pump started leaking in January so about a week ago I took it to the dealer in France. They checked it over and said I needed a new one. So on Wednesday (yep 4 days later) she went in and had a new water pump and full cooling system service. The new pump cost about $300 (USD).

Parts are readily available in Europe.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, did you get new hoses (the ones that run from the water pump to the bottom of the oil cooler)? The new water pump for my bike came in a week, but I couldn't replace those hoses. I couldn't find them anywhere in the states or in the UK.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
But I'll never catch up with you. At least not in daily mileage. Or total mileage. Like everyone else, I stand in awe of your wonderfulness. :rolleyes:šŸ˜¬
Jeez Phil, don't do that, you'll give him an even bigger head! He's already got us skunked on miles ;). Speaking of that, what ever happened to the kid from Knoxville that was giving you a run for your money David? Seems he sold his NT and we haven't heard from him since.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Jeez Phil, don't do that, you'll give him an even bigger head! He's already got us skunked on miles ;). Speaking of that, what ever happened to the kid from Knoxville that was giving you a run for your money David? Seems he sold his NT and we haven't heard from him since.Mike
yes he did. he wanted an adventure bike. sold it sometime in 2017. i won mileage tracker by about 900 miles in 2017 over him, he won, 2014,2015 & 2016, i have won 2018, 2019, 2012, 2013

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
HondaFan - the common heater hose sizes for cars are way too big by comparison. The most common heater hose size is 3/4." Some cars may use a smaller hose for a bypass at the water pump but that's only a guess. MikeSim might have a better handle on that topic?

On a side note: the high mileage rider from TN (?) went by the handle of "Rust-in-Peace." When we had the NT Gathering in Davis, WV, I remember he and Dave (Woodaddict) went on a side jaunt one day and I couldn't believe it when they told me of their destination because it was several states away!

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yep, fun ride, we went to highest point in PA(mt davis I think), passing highest point in MD. going each state highest points is a highlight I like to do

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
HondaFan - the common heater hose sizes for cars are way too big by comparison. The most common heater hose size is 3/4." Some cars may use a smaller hose for a bypass at the water pump but that's only a guess. MikeSim might have a better handle on that topic?
The most common heater hose sizes are 5/8" and 3/4" but Gates/Dayco also make 1/2" and 3/8" in bulk spools. Most parts stores have a small quantity of the smaller diameter hose for their import customers. Phil's bike however needed molded hoses, the exact duplicate of which is only offered by the OEM, in this case Honda. Had there been enough time and sufficient necessity it is possible he could have taken the old hoses to a parts store and try to "match them up" with existing molded hoses that were designed for another application. Many vehicles use smaller molded hoses for their cooling systems.

Mike

Top Bottom