Water pump replacement

bicyclist

When I was doing a valve check the other day, I noticed that the coolant was low in the expansion tank. After finishing the work, I crawled underneath and cleaned up the water pump, then took the bike for a ride. Upon returning, inspection of the pump revealed some leakage from the weep hole. Honda (and most manufacturers) says that a small amount of weepage from the bleed hole is normal. The question is, what's the difference between a weep and a leak? Figuring that it wouldn't get better (I'm smarter than the average chicken), I decided to replace the pump.

The pump can be ordered as a complete assembly or individual parts. I decided to get the complete assembly and ordered from Ron Ayers for $92. The part showed up yesterday and I got a gallon of Honda coolant from the auto dealer.

It's necessary to remove the middle cowl to get to the radiator cap. The book fails to mention a screw under the meter cover which must come out. Once the tupperware is off, the radiator cap is removed and coolant drained by removing a bolt on the pump. The book tells you to also remove a bolt on the crankcase, but that's incorrect. The book also doesn't tell you to drain the oil, but you'll be in for a surprise when you pull the pump if you don't. Next, the five water hoses are disconnected from the pump. The book tells you to remove the pump cover next, but there's no reason to do so. Removal of two bolts allows the pump assembly to be pulled out of the crankcase.

The new pump assembly comes with a new o-ring. Oil it up and insert the pump into the crankcase, aligning its groove with the projection of the oil pump shaft. Torque the two bolts to 13 nm and check the others. Reconnect the five hoses and slowly pour 2 quarts of coolant into the radiator. Squeezing the large radiator hose connected to the pump will help burp the system. Refill the expansion tank and engine oil. Run the engine for a bit, check that coolant is up to the filler neck and cap it off. Reinstall the tupperware. You'll discover that the hole in the pump for one of the bolts that holds on the plastic cover is not tapped. The three bolts that hold on that plastic are self tapping, so with a little care, you can run the bolt into the pump and create some threads. Go for a test ride and check your work.

Just in the FYI category I have on at least two instances seen a small amount of coolant around the weep hole. Major panick first time it happened but pulled the serivice manual and found the same description of a small weepage as unremarkable. This was enough to put a dot on the garage floor but nothing more. I dried the area on the bike and kept very close watch for a while and did not see a repeat for a very long time. The second episode was again a very small amount around the weep hole-perhaps 2 or 3 drops. Again it did not appear to repeat in the short or long term. Cannot be certain what causes this though I have some suspicion that large temperature changes and sitting unused have something to do with it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
On my ST13 The water pump has a ceramic slipper seal and a rubber oil seal in it. If the bike sits for a while in wide temp changes, the slipper seal might leak just a bit. That is acceptable according to Honda. Before I rebuilt the pump it left a good size puddle under the bike. Of course the bike had 80000 miles on it when the seal gave up the ghost. Bike now has 104000 miles now.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Chuck, here's yer pics of the old pump. First is the back side showing the pump drive and o-ring and second is the underside showing the weep hole.

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Thanks, Can you take it apart to see the impeller and seals? I want to see what kind of water seal it has.

OP
OP

bicyclist

OK, it'll be a while, I have company and I'll be leaving to travel for a week.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've replaced the water pump on a couple of bikes and neither was a trivial exercise. (For that matter, it's not trivial in cars, either.) The downside for having liquid-cooled engines vs. air-cooled. The latter are simpler, but the cooling "system" is typically uncontrolled, with no feedback adjustment.

OP
OP

bicyclist

Well, it seems that the impeller is pressed on and I don't have an easy way to pull it. They must press the seals into the pump body, then insert the shaft from the back and press the impeller on.

Attachments

Top Bottom