Water pump replacement?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Does the engine oil need to be drained before removal of the water pump. The service manual is not clear on that point. Don't want to put fresh oil in before I R&R the water pump. Thanks.

The water pump on the Honda V-twins is at the very bottom of the crankcase and is driven by the oil pump which lives on the opposite side of the crankcase. And this low placement means at least a portion of the water pump drive flange is immersed in engine oil. With the bike on the centerstand, remove the dipstick and calculate the oil level on the right side then transfer that measurement to the left side. This will give you a rough idea about how much oil will be lost when you remove the water pump.

It is possible to tip the bike to the right to avoid losing crankcase oil but holding it in that position securely is precarious at best

The water pump on the Honda V-twins is at the very bottom of the crankcase and is driven by the oil pump which lives on the opposite side of the crankcase. And this low placement means at least a portion of the water pump drive flange is immersed in engine oil. With the bike on the centerstand, remove the dipstick and calculate the oil level on the right side then transfer that measurement to the left side. This will give you a rough idea about how much oil will be lost when you remove the water pump.

It is possible to tip the bike to the right to avoid losing crankcase oil but holding it in that position securely is precarious at best

OK Thanks, I already have the oil changed as I am doing the 24k mile maint. Just did not want to put the new oil in if I was going to lose some when I R&R the water pump.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
thanks. still not sure where that is, yet. the bottom of the final drive has an open slot like that, but I think that;s the wrong end of the horse...
Here are some pictures of the pump. It is located on the left side of the engine under the gray plastic cover by the shift lever. You can see all the coolant hoses going to it. The weep hole is on the bottom of the pump. Better seen with a mirror.

I have done work on other bikes by leaning them over and letting the handlebar end rest against a wall.
It does need to be very secure and I don't know the details of a water pump changeout.

Brad

Bummer about the water pump. Kudos on the garage! I'll be sure to watch mine at that mileage. Anyone else replace a water pump? I'm curious how long one should last.

Mine developed the same leak at about 50K. Honda paid for the replacement and the labor. One more good thing about the extended warranty.

I had to buy some parts for my NT online so I went ahead a bought a spare water pump. I think that assures me that mine will never fail.

I went ahead a bought a spare water pump.

Well, as I've said, they don't fail catastrophically, so you have plenty of warning. It's a readily available part. There's no point in tying up your money. You might consider canceling that part of your order.

Well I just buttoned up STiches (ST700) and cleaned and put my tools away. Finished the 24000 mile service with no major issues. Even pulled the rear wheel to check on the splines as it has been a good 9 months since I had the wheel off. All OK and I re-lubed with Molly 60. The only real pain in the butt is putting the back top fastener of the exhaust heat shield back on. What a pain. I have 7440 miles on the rear PR3 and I anticipate another 3k left. On the front PR3 I have 5500 miles and it looks almost new. I also made sure I did not install the rear axle backwards this time.:). Did the valve check and had to adjust the two exhaust valves on the rear cylinder. Adjusted from a very tight .007 back to a loose .008 inch. No big deal. Oil/filter change, final drive oil change, new air filter, new coolant, inspected brake pads-ok. Did not have to bleed the brakes as I had done that 8k miles ago and the fluid is still very clear/clean. What amazes me is I no extra fastener left nor was I short any fasteners. Every thing check out OK. Good for another year.

I decided I did not have to change out the water pump as of yet. It does not leak any oil or coolant on the floor. Just leaves a little drop on the bottom of the pump housing. I think I will run it as is and keep an eye on it. I have a new pump in the cabinet and can change it if and when the seepage gets to the point of dripping on the floor. (Would not want to get the floor dirty:eek1:). STiches is not going to be taking any longer trips until spring anyway. I will be headed to California for CalSToc in a week and a half, but will be riding the ST1300 (Silver STorm.)

PS: cost me about 100 bucks in supplies and materials. Plugs, Air filter, Oil and filter, and one gallon of Honda auto Coolant.

Last edited:
Feels good, doesn't it? You've become more familiar with the bike and you know it's in good shape and ready to roll.

Yes it feels good to have it done, as I have to get the Wee on the lift to change chain and sprockets and install new brakes. (31K miles) I have been into or under the skin of my NT three times now. Have done all the valve checks and major services myself. I service all my own bikes and do the tire changes also, and also take care of the four bikes my daughter and her husband own. Keeps me busy. That is 8 that I have to look after.Good grief.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom