Waterfalls, Gorges and Old Towns, Oh My ! Part III

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Day 5 through Day 8 were spectacular. We left Watkins Glen on back roads and made our way to the Grand Canyon of the East, Letchworth State Park near Castile, NY. Fabulous waterfalls, a huge gorge and spectacular views. Not to mention all the old towns we got to visit while we spent two nights there.

The trip there was fantastic with all the small old towns and views we saw on our way. It was a short 2 and 1/2 hours on those back roads so we had plenty of time to check out the park before turning in for the night.

Check out the date on the roof.

The old inn and restaurant built in 1859, turned into an Inn and Restaurant in 1911. Still in business and being used here in the park. We had dinner there and it was great also. Pricey but well worth it. Just to say you've sat on the porch and enjoyed dinner as they did at the turn of the last century.

Upper Falls and Railroad Bridge (still in use).

Middle Falls right at the Inn. Note you can also view this falls at night as they light them up.

The lower falls.

The next day we drove around the area checking out the small towns of Nunda, Mt. Morris, Avon and Castile.

Old signs still found in those small towns.

Skies that looked painted there.

Drove by this old bridge remains on our way up to Avon, NY.

Then our return trip started and the scenic views did not end on our way back. From Letchworth we took back roads down to Butler, PA. I can say that SR 305 in NY and 446 in PA were amazing. We then picked up SR 66 and 68 to get into Butler.

Yes that is a BARN. Check it out online... Empire City Farms...

Scenic Rt.6 in PA was part of this route and we stopped by Kinzua Bridge. I didn't know about this and a local told us about it when we were gassing up. Backtracked a bit for it but it was worth it. Check it out online.

Then it was back into WV the next day on more back roads. I found Rt.88 was fantastic.. Don't miss this one. Starts off Rt.27 at the state line with PA and runs down through Wheeling and on south to U.S.250.

We enjoyed a few hours at the huge Cabelas store east of Wheeling and then continued home via Moundsville, WV then over into Ohio down along the river to SR 255 where we took it over to Rt.26 where we followed it south back to Marietta Ohio and then home across the river.

We rode a total of 1,321 miles and made many memories.

Link to Day 5 through 8 pictures: http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/djphotos2/library/Water Falls Gorges and Old towns Tour/Days 5 - 8

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
We stopped at Letchworth "the Grand Canyon of the East" State Park on our way to Nova Scotia several years ago.

We missed you at MSTA Fly-By in Marietta, Aug 22-14 but perhaps you were gone on this trip?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Duane, thanks again for the great pictures. Looks like a spectacular ride!

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
We stopped at Letchworth "the Grand Canyon of the East" State Park on our way to Nova Scotia several years ago.

We missed you at MSTA Fly-By in Marietta, Aug 22-14 but perhaps you were gone on this trip?
Sure was gone Tosh. Was loading bike on Friday evening and took off early Saturday (Aug.23) morning for this trip. Sorry I missed you all.

Top Bottom