Wear this under your moto jacket

elizilla

I just ordered this Microtherm Down Shirt from Eddie Bauer. It's basically a thin, light. close fitting down filled sweater. It arrived today and I am very pleased with it. It cost a small fortune, even on sale, but it's perfect for my needs.

I have a set of leathers than fits me very closely, and when it's cold and I want to wear some sort of insulation under them, it's hard to find something that fits comfortably. A fleece is just too bulky; the arms bind and the tails of the fleece are too bulky to tuck in, so I can't zip the jacket to the pants. Well, this down shirt is warmer than a fleece, and fits easily under the leathers without turning me into the stay-puff marshmallow man. The electrics are still warmer, obviously, but for trips I need a warm layer that I can wear around camp at night, off the bike. This down shirt will pack a LOT smaller than a fleece, while keeping me warmer. This is going to be a well-loved piece of gear; I can tell.

This down shirt thing seems to be a trend this year; I see other brands out there as well, both men's and women's versions. Eddie Bauer has almost their entire lineup available in women's tall sizes, so they're my go-to store, but if you don't need an unusual size, shop your preferred outfitter and get one of these shirts before the trend passes. Because this is a fantastic piece of kit.

I am definitely going to check back after Christmas and see if any are left in my size at a deep discount, and get another one to hoard if I can. I don't care what color.

Women's version
Men's version

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

elizilla

...the new up to the second trend, is ones that have hoods, not for motorcycling, but for looking hip, and keeping head warm also.
See, that's why I need to get another this year, to hoard, before they jazz it up with a hood. How many hoods can one person stand to have stacked up, especially when they also have long hair? Lately you get a hood on the baselayer, another hood on the midlayer, and a third hood on the outer layer. I wouldn't be surprised if next time I go to the mall, Victoria's Secret has hooded bras in their window, or hooded swimsuits. Hoods hoods hoods on everything.

If this hood trend gets too much more extreme I am going to have to give up my thick waist length hair and get a pixie cut, just to be able to drive a car safely. :mad1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ROFLMAO

Katherine, even though I am a guy with a bald head I also find this fascination with hoods a bit frustrating. If I want something to keep my head warm I will add it. But, don't put one on everything. As far as I am concerned the only clothing that should have a hood are extreme cold parka shells.

My leather jacket is working well for me, but, mine has enough room for a fleece lined, zippered, sweatshirt (and yes, it has a hood :( ). My light sweatshirt that I wear under the jacket had a hood, until I took my knife to it one evening :)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I had been looking lately for an unhooded sweatshirt. I gave up looking local and ordered one.
I seem to have a hard time finding clothing I am looking for. Most of it has to do with looking for a specific use. Most of the stuff on the shelves is based on style.
I'm still looking for a vest to replace my very old one that I use in the winter under leather jacket. It must be thin (down is out) and shorter than the jacket. I think I have 3-4 in the closet that I bought thinking they would work but found out different.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Brad,

If I were looking, I would migrate toward a heated vest/liner for my leather jacket. And either heated gloves or grips.

I am getting heated grips for the NT, but, will probably add heated gloves next spring.

bicyclist

Another fascinating thread. Just today, I was trying on different combinations of layers under my new jacket to see what would work. I want a layer of insulation to go over my electric liner. I have a heavy wool sweater that I've used in the past, but was thinking that something like a down shirt would be perfect. And there it is! Thanks, Katherine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sure looks like it's tailored for a "slim" fit. Don't think it would work for me.

OP
OP

elizilla

And since the price point for the "mall" version is pretty close to the real deal "mountaineering" version, i included some links to beautiful to items i own, and covet...with lifetime warranty's, and eco-friendly business practices.....There are others, Marmot, Cloudveil, Montbell, Sessions, Mountain Hardware... However, My links below are for Patagonia and Western Mountaineering products, Two of the finest companies in the Country.
I only wish I could wear those things. It would be so much fun to walk into REI and be able to find things that I could wear, to turn up my nose at mall clothes, to buy the best designs for my purposes, etc. But none of those companies make anything for amazon women, and trying on their things is pure frustration. Eddie Bauer is boring, not cheap, and their clothing is more in the realm of practical fashion than it is high tech expedition stuff. But they they make everything in my size, so that's where I shop. Most of it wears like iron, and they have a lifetime guarantee which they've always upheld when I've had to ask them to, so I consider them a very reliable store.

OP
OP

elizilla

TJ, I have indeed worn a lot of men's things over the years. But I have gotten tired of clothing that hampers me and/or flaps like a giant sail while I'm motorcycling or skiing, and/or can't be washed lest it shrink up to nothing. I want functional stuff, and I want it to fit, and I don't want to have anything dry cleaned - talk about environmental disaster! I'd love to also choose ethically produced items, and save money, and get something pretty. And while I'm at it can I have a pony too?

It's better for the environment to get something I can wear regularly for years because it's washable and wears like iron. Something that I will wear regularly for years because it fits comfortably instead of being kinda sorta maybe acceptable until I find something better. And whaddya know, here I am back at Eddie Bauer. Spread the word to your tall lady camping buddies, because the more of us buy this stuff, the more the other manufacturers are likely to sit up and take notice. Not to mention they have a lot of pretty darn good stuff.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I bought a GoLite women's down shirt on a closeout sale rack from Jax in Fort Collins, Colorado when I visited there in 2009 and I love it.

It's a better alternative to the zip-in quilted jacket liner because it can be worn separately but I can also wear them together if I want. It washes well (I always use a down wash), can be tumble dried (unlike most wool products) and compresses really well (but I always make sure not to compress it for any longer than necessary).

OP
OP

elizilla

Polartec, yes. That is the fleece to have. Made in the USA, wears well, doesn't pill up. That's what I order when I'm buying fleece to sew my own. It's expensive, but if I'm going to spend the hours and hours to sew my own stuff, I want it to be the best it can be, and to be durable.

OP
OP

elizilla

You guys laughed at the idea of hooded bras and swimsuits, well, look at this:

I say the hoodie trend has jumped the shark.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
She would make a tater sack look good...so the point is fashion can be so silly some times...?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The subject shirt/jacket was 30% off over Thanksgiving, so I bought one. I'm not a slave to fashion. It will fit EASILY under my First Gear coveralls. Looking forward to the road drying out and going for ride in the cold. Really like how light it is and the stretchy patches behind the shoulders to make it easy to move arms around. I can pay for it by wearing it at home and setting the thermostat down 1F. I call it frugal, wife calls it soomething else. Thanks for the tip.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
How would it fit a person whose physique was not stylishly tapered toward the waist?

OP
OP

elizilla

If you bought the larger size, would you get the big empty shoulders, or would they stay closer to same size while the midsection got bigger? I don't know. All menswear sizes give me that big empty shoulders type fit. If it's like the women's stuff, the photos are specifically made to create the illusion of stylishly tapered waists. Then when you order, the things you get are frequently far more square or shapeless than they look in the pictures. Fashion photography involves a lot of careful positioning to hide the safety pins and duct tape on the other side of the model's body.

If you have a store nearby you could just go there and try it. The tall sizes are catalog-only but I suspect you don't need those like I do.

Top Bottom