Wee Ride and Mothra

tawilke46

Yesterday was a fine day for riding, so I geared up, told Linda be back in awhile and hit the road. Did my typical get out of town as quickly as possible on I-12 east and exit on to some back country roads.
Temperature was perfect with a high in the mid to low 80's, virtually no wind. The only drawbacks to all this perfection was the lisgustrum is in full bloom. The flowers have a very musky unpleasant smell. The stuff is everywhere along the sides of the roads. Plus I am somewhat allergic to it. Another is the love bugs are out for their semi annual mating ritual. Everyone knows riding through a swarm of these bugs is very unpleasant.

I stopped for a rest break in Kentwood, Louisiana........the proud home of Brittany Spears. Funny not a single sign indicating Kentwood was her hometown. Gee, wonder why????

As I was sipping on a bottle of water and chewing on a protein bar I noticed this very large orange and tan moth climbing up the bottm of a nearby tree. This thing was at least 3 to 4 inches across wingtip to wingtip.
Looked it up when I got home. It is called a Royal Walnut Moth.

http://bugoftheweek.com/blog/2013/9/9/silkmoth-season-part-2-a-royal-welcome-royal-walnut-moth-icitheronia-regalisi

Total ride about 230 miles......about all my back can take at this time. Got an upcoming appointment with a neurosurgeon to see what we can do to get things right again. L4, L5, and S1 have some issues, mostly bulging discs and pressure on nerve roots.

Posting pics post haste...…..

MOTHRA

GIVI V47 Topcase…..

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That is a beautiful moth, Tim! I'm glad you had a good ride. Good pictures, too.

I hope the neurosurgeon can help you with your back issues.

Tim, thanks for the notes and pictures. I have yet to really try to post pictures and I'm guessing it is not hard. Good Luck with the neurosurgeon. I did a talk to a large group of trial lawyers about ten years ago about pre-existing conditions and I had a neurosurgeon talk before me and was fascinated to learn that over age 50, about a third of us have bulging disks and we're not aware of it. Good luck.

Terry

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It is a cool looking moth. I saw one of similar size, but all gray on a tree once while hunting. I cant help but wonder what kind of "splat!" he would make on a face shield at night though!

Mike

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

From what I read about these particular moths is they hatch out of the ground, climb up the nearest vertical object, fly off and mate and die in two days. These moths have no working mouth parts and can't eat. They only eat in the larvae (caterpiller) stage.
What a life.

Top Bottom