Wee Strom Travels: Ohio and Mississippi River Medley

1TRAK

I took the new Strom on its first tour last October, we followed the Ohio River Scenic Byway from Indiana state highway 66 to its confuence with the Mississippi in Cairo Illinois. I learned a bit about the bike, the area, the locals and had good times the four days we traveled and camped. The weather cooperated with day temps in the 50's and 60's and evenings around 40, perfect for campfire!

My first evening was here, a great campground southeast of Bloomington IN near Lake Monroe.
IMG_7859.jpg

IMG_7855.jpg

I had a little free time after setting up camp so did a little tooling around, great roads and scenery in this area!
IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

Got up early next day and headed south on some great twisties: 58 to Bedford, then 37 south to 66.
IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7868.jpg

Stopped for lunch along the Ohio River when a group in old hot rods came through, locals enjoying a gorgeous fall day.

IMG_7881.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

Continuing west along the Ohio there were some neat sights.
IMG_7916-1.jpg

IMG_7866.jpg

Rolling into Illinois
IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7893.jpg

IMG_7897.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7923.jpg

I'd hoped to camp at Garden of the Gods campground but it was full so I ran down the road and followed a two track in a ways. Found a neat spot to spend the night in an arched rock, went to sleep serenaded by coyotes howling in the distance!
IMG_7899-1.jpg

Made it to the Mississippi River the next afternoon, the town of Cairo sits where the two meet. Cairo appears to have seen better times and was run down but had a nice park by the rivers point.
IMG_7930.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7936.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

Followed Illinois 3 north a ways to my last evenings campsite, a neat spot out in the woods. This is one of two areas in the Trail of Tears State Forest to camp and is set on a high ridge along the road. Great secluded spot.
IMG_7928.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

Got up early next morning for the long ride home on the interstate, home by 4.
The Strom worked great for travel, was comfy and got around 48mpg this trip, nice bike!
IMG_7942.jpg
Ride Safe

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice trip!... guess that bear is no longer living under that rock? LOL just kidding.

Thanks for sharing the great pics and the great route idea!

Nice pictures. Just got finished cleaning my Wee. Now you got me all anxious to go ride it as the Wee has not been ridden too much lately. Gonna have to wait until Monday when it is a bit warmer.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Can do on the cards Chuck, hope to do some Texas Hill Country someday.

No bears this trip Joe, good thing since I forgot the pepper spray!

Hope you can visit our way sometime Phil, I believe you'd enjoy it. Look forward to meeting you and yours in June.

Enjoy your ride Monday Chuck, see you in June hopefully!

Thanks Paul, take care and ride safe!

LOL Rick, in Indiana they call it "chip seal" which really is just thin asphalt. Gotta love the idea though!

Rain and riding, a necessary pain sometimes! Thanks for the forkbrace info Bob, sounds like a worthwhile farkle for travel and dirt riding.

Thanks DJ, looking forward to riding the endless mountains this year!

Back
Top Bottom