tawilke46

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

FWIW, it looks fast!!

Obviously an upgrade from stock....
Yeah, right........fast even sitting on a table. If it is an upgrade it is an expensive one!!!!! Maybe it will make my "slower" red NT:turtle: almost as fast as a silver NT????

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Could your fender extender be creating too much stress on the mount bolts/ I got a replacement on my 04 wing after 70,000 miles under my honda extendfed warranty, I was advised by the dealer to not reinstall the fender extender and I didn't. It didn't seem to make much differance in the dirt accumluated. I am not putting one on my NT.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Could your fender extender be creating too much stress on the mount bolts/ I got a replacement on my 04 wing after 70,000 miles under my honda extendfed warranty, I was advised by the dealer to not reinstall the fender extender and I didn't. It didn't seem to make much differance in the dirt accumluated. I am not putting one on my NT.
I have the fenda extenda on order, I have not received it yet. So not installed yet.
I would ask fellow forum members that have installed the fenda extenda if they have experienced any problems with the extenda and the fender??????:shrug2:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have the fenda extenda on order, I have not received it yet. So not installed yet.
I would ask fellow forum members that have installed the fenda extenda if they have experienced any problems with the extenda and the fender??????:shrug2:
No issues at all. I have the Fenda extenda on all three of my bikes with no issues. It does help keep the muck off. And it looks good. I installed mine with the screws that came with the extenda.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tim,

You don't need to do anything to mount the Denalis except do not use Loctite. If you look at your second picture it looks like there's metal in the place where the spacer for the Denalis will be contacting the fender. Just snug the Denali fender mount up "gud-n-tite," and the Denalis will never move and the fender won't crack either.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
+1 on the Loctite. Simple candle wax does a similar job--makes bolts go in easier and keeps them there after you torque them down. I'll be ordering my Denalis fairly soon. I do hope they give a torque spec for the fender mount. I can't do anything without my torque wrenches.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I do hope they give a torque spec for the fender mount. I can't do anything without my torque wrenches.
Denali includes a torque recommendation for the M6 fender bolts as 7 ft-lbs. But they also defer to the OEM torque specs if it is available in the NT700 Service Manual. They also recommend after 30 miles of riding that the bolts be checked for proper torque and all fasteners are tight.
What you have to be aware of is the directions for the M6 fender mount also include a note that says "Medium strength liquid thread locker (i.e. "Locktite") should be used to secure all screws, bolts and nuts". Well I made the mistake of following the directions here. We all know not to use Locktite anywhere near plastic!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Tim,
Thanks for the torque spec. Seven Foot Pounds is quite reasonable. Working on these new bicycles with Carbon Fiber frames, Titanium, Scandium, Chrome Molly, Aluminum, and, yes Bamboo, makes you a believer in torque wrenches. A person can get in trouble real fast without a good torque wrench.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Alex, tell me about the bamboo-framed bicycles. I had a bamboo racquetball racquet once and it was great. I always thought it could be a good structural material.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
There is a company named Calfee that makes Bamboo bike frames. They use CF lugs and chemically bond them to the bamboo. The headset, fork crown and drops are CF. There is a CF insert in the seat tube, and the bottom bracket and rear drops are CF as well. I have only seen one of these bikes. They are quite rare as well as quite expensive. I would suspect that as Calfee makes more of them and simplifies the process, (They are entirely hand made) that the price will come down. The price has come down on CF bikes. On Titanium, the price has stabilized since our relationship with Russia has improved. Most Titanium comes from Russia.

Top Bottom