What a Day!!!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yesterday, I rode from Greeley down to Colorado Springs to visit my son and daughter-in-law in their new home! 139 miles on I-25 and E-470 (the loop around Denver that runs just west of Denver International Airport). About 20 miles of 25 is under construction with two narrow lanes and no shoulders. It's called "the Gap," and has been the scene of a high number of accidents, including at least two State Troopers who have been killed by drivers while investigating accidents. I got through it, but it was hardly and enjoyable ride.

I had a good visit with my kids and ate an incredible take-out Mexican dinner -- the first I've had in several months.

Today, I was up at 7AM, ate a bowl of oatmeal, had a couple of cups of coffee, and left at 8:30, to get gas and ride down to Apex Sports, one of the best motorcycle dealerships in Colorado. It had been 27F at 6, was up to 34F when I left the kids' and then was at 36F when I got to Apex. There were four of when I got there, and we waited until a little after 9:30 for our ride leader and another rider from Loveland to show up. Doug, the ride leader, said that six riders had planned to come from Loveland, but four backed out because of the cold -- it had been 26F when they were scheduled to ride.

Our route had us taking CO-115 south to Penrose and Florence, the site of SuperMax, the most secure federal prison facility in the country, then through Wetmore, up through Hardscrabble Canyon and then south to Bishop's Castle. We toured the Castle and then rode back north and west to Westcliffe, where we ate in a pavilion. After we ate, we headed in our various directions. When I've ridden to Westcliffe before, I've gone north and connected with US-50 at Texas Creek, a few miles west of the Royal Gorge. But today our GPS's told us to go back down Hardscrabble Canyon, Wetmore and Florence. We stopped for gas in Penrose and then kinda' got separated -- one of us was looking for picture opportunities so he could grab some "tags" for a contest. I headed north by myself, but just as I got into about 5 miles of stop-and-go traffic in Colorado Springs, the ride leader caught up with me. I had him in site all the way through the Springs, The Gap, and Castle Rock, but then he disappeared. When I topped the highest part of I-25 between Castle Rock, I was greeted by a huge cloud of smoke that looked like it was engulfing the western Denver Metro area. It was a scary sight! By the time I was half way around E-470, going over I-70 east of Denver, I was in the smoke. Visibility around the airport was maybe 2-3 miles and every one had their headlights on. By the time I got home at 6PM, it was smoky here, too. It turns out that the state's largest-ever wildfire, the Cameron Peak fire is still growing and is the source of our smoke here. The smoke in Denver and at DIA is coming from a new fire, the aptly-named Troublesome Fire, near Kremmling.

The temperature during our ride down to Bishop's Castle steadily rose and was up to 60. By the time we ate in Westcliffe, it was 70. It was an incredibly beautiful day -- skies were clear, clear, clear deep blue. There was hardly any wind, and the mountains and trees were gorgeous. The color was a little past its peak, but still gorgeous. Since we were riding on a Friday, we had less traffic in the mountains than we would have if we had waited till tomorrow to ride. I think that by the time we got to Bishop's Castle, our riding group was up to 12.

I'll post pictures and more commentary later. It's been a good week -- 858 miles of interesting and different riding. :cool:

I'm posting my Spotwalla track as well. [Or at least I would if I could remember how to do it. I did after Wednesday's ride, but I cannot remember where I got that link. If any of you geeks can remind me of what I need to do, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK...now that I've had some sleep, I've figure out how to attach my Spotwalla track:

By the way, I recommend viewing Spotwalla in Hybrid view, which combines the satellite view with roads.

And some pictures. First a few from on our way down to Bishop Castle:

IMG_0001.JPG
We're on our way into Penrose, just north of US-50. The mountains are the Wet Range, south and west of Florence and we'll be riding east of them to Wetmore and in and through them on our way to Bishop Castle and Westcliffe.

IMG_0002.JPG
The Arkansas River bottoms outside of Florence.

IMG_0003.JPG
SuperMax -- the Federal Prison System's most secure facility.

IMG_0018.JPG
Hardscrabble Canyon into the Wet Range. A much prettier ride on a motorcycle than it was on a bicycle in '89 when the temperature was 102F!

IMG_0020.JPG
Along the road up Hardscrabble. We were just past the peak colors, but still not too ugly.

IMG_0021.JPG
Bishop Castle. Created by Jim Bishop, an ornamental iron worker with a business in Florence. He bought the land for $450 when he was 15. Later he started construction of a family cottage. He had so many rocks laying around that someone mentioned that it looked like a castle. That planted the seed and he started building. He gathered the rocks from National Forest land around the state and the Washington bureaucracy hassled him about that. They wanted to charge him by the truckload and he said they were his for the taking. They charged him with illegal mining at one point, but the case got thrown out of court. He put up road signs telling people about the castle and the state sued him for illegal advertising. That ended up with the state putting up official road signs! He's been working on it for 40 years and and has been grandfathered in on things like handicapped accessibility. He and his wife both have cancer. He had created a corporation with a guy who tried to turn it into a church, but he regained control and now he's set up a trust so that the land and castle pass to his son who's agreed to maintain it and continue construction.

IMG_0026.JPG
Note the Dragon's Head at the top of the main part of the Castle.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG
Our ride leader had more energy than the rest of us!

IMG_0037.JPG
The Sangre de Christos Range as I rode down toward Westcliffe. The Sangre de Christos stretch down into New Mexico and constitute the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains down there. The view to the right of tree includes the Collegiate Range which is well over 100 miles away!

IMG_0042.JPG
Horse in Westcliffe's Veteran Memorial Park's gravel parking lot. I hate gravel. The parking at Bishop Castle was slightly better, but caused me my most anxious moments as I backed in downslope off pavement onto dirt. I was reasonably sure that Horse was about to be dropped for my first time (I know that Horse had been dropped before I bought him. Sorry to rat you out, Frosty!).

IMG_0046.JPG
Riding north on 115 after gassing up in Penrose.

A GREAT DAY!!

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Looks like you had a great time with "Horse".

You have me beat in miles driven on a single ride. The loop below is the longest I have ever ridden the most recent years on a single day trip.

1603079174195.png

NaTalie had not been taken on this loop before. I would usually take NaNCy on this loop.

IMG_7017.JPG

IMG_7040.JPG

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It looks like the porch at the store hasn't seen a hammer and nail since 1851!! :rolleyes:

Macka
That's not my problem.

This is place is the oldest continuously operating business in the whole state of California. It's more of a tourist stop to find nostalgic candies, unique soda favors, locally made beef jerky, and a place to have a deli sandwich. Any Interior photograph is prohibited by the establishment. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You have me beat in miles driven on a single ride. The loop below is the longest I have ever ridden the most recent years on a single day trip.
My longest single day was between about 6:20AM on May 16, 2015, and a little before that time on May 17, 2015. I did a BunBurner Gold during the Rachel Insanity Days Rally, riding from Alamo, NV, to Tonapah, to Austin, to Battle Mountain, to West Wendover, to Ely, to Tonapah, to Fallon, to Eureka, to Baker, to Alamo. 1529 miles in 23hrs, 48min.

The rally told us that the average high on that day was 72F, the average low 49F, and the average rainfall the the whole month of May was less than 1/2". It was 32F when I left Alamo. It didn't get up to freezing until just before I got to Austin, 279 miles into the ride. At Battle Mountain it got up to 50F, but then started raining five miles east of town. It rained for the 116 miles to Wells, started raining again as I left West Wendover, and rained until I was about 20 miles out of Ely. On I-80, the temperature had gotten down to 34F and was only about 35F when the rain finally quit near Ely. If it had kept raining, I was going to quit in Ely, because I knew I was going to be on some high passes in the middle of the night as I went east across Nevada on US-50 and that rain would be snow!

But it quit and warmed up to close to 60F before I got to Warm Springs on US-6 at about 6PM. As I passed Warm Springs, Dudley's odometer rolled past 100,000 miles. When I left Fallon at 10:30PM, it was 40F, but on the passes east of there on US-50, it got down to 13F a couple of times. When I left Baker at 3:15, I had three hours to finish inside the 24 hr period, and it was 196 miles to Alamo. I had a slight fudge factor because there was a gas station at Ash Springs, 10 miles north of Alamo and that would put me over 1500 miles and almost certainly be under the 24 hours.

It was quite an experience, but I never need to do another BunBurner Gold!

Bike
2010 NT700V
I did a loop the other day on one of the V4s (probably last big ride of the year) that was around 740 miles.

But after doing "cannonball runs" across country back in June on the NT, all big day rides like that seem kind of trivial now. The return trip which included a ride through Escalante Staircase and Coral Reef was 2,720 miles before sleep.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The return trip which included a ride through Escalante Staircase and Coral Reef was 2,720 miles before sleep.
Whoa! How many hours did that take?

I've thought about doing a CC50 (Coast to Coast in under 50 hours) and I think I'd get at least 7 hours sleep on a ride of a little under 2400 miles.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Whoa! How many hours did that take?
My Google timeline says around 45 hours. That's including stopping to take pictures in UT, and food/fuel. I rode through two nights. I finally stopped just after the 2nd sunrise.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't have much trouble for 24 hours, but getting much past 30 is probably something I couldn't do today. Back in the mid-70s, I worked in an entry-level job in the oilfield and was on call 24/7 except for one weekend a month (unless I was on a job when the weekend started. During the 2 years before I got promoted into sales, I averaged 96 hrs/wk. I think the longest I ever worked with no break was about 49 hours. That stint ended on Christmas Eve. I got home at 11:00AM, slept for 3 hours, and my folks got to our house from St. Louis. After supper, Dad and I stayed up till close to 1PM putting "Santa Claus's" presents together under the tree. We were up again at 7AM. I slept some Christmas afternoon, and got a call from dispatch to catch a boat 200 miles away to go to a drilling rig and do an inspection job. I slept another couple of hours and headed for the dock. I got there, started work, and finished the job at about 7PM. I drove back to Lafayette, LA, and made it, but I don't remember which route I took from Houma to Morgan City. There were two -- one was two straight roads but the other was a road that wound along the Bayous. I remembered stopping for coffee and a cinnamon roll in Houma and the next thing I remembered was crossing the bridge over the Atchafalya River as I left Morgan City.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I got a solid 10 - 12 hours sleep before starting each crossing. The ride out a few days prior with no sight seeing, was around 2,600 miles in about 40 hours.

I did a cross country ride back in 2019 on the NT where I did camp the night in NM. The ride after waking was 28 hours. I was in far worse shape towards the end of that ride, than the 45 hour trek I did this year. I think the light sleep of only a few hours didn't really do much except extend the time before I got real rest again.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I got a solid 10 - 12 hours sleep before starting each crossing. The ride out a few days prior with no sight seeing, was around 2,600 miles in about 40 hours.
That would make your average speed at 65 MPH for 2,600 miles traveled in 40 hours.

Going without sleep or not enough can be dangerous on a motorcycle. When I was 19 working as a porter at the Ralphs Supermarket I was up for 20 hours. It was brutal and I had to ride home on my bike another 30 minutes. I was having issues with stay awake and seeing things that were not there.

Bike
2010 NT700V
That would make your average speed at 65 MPH for 2,600 miles traveled in 40 hours.
Realistically though, you need to be going quite a bit faster to get there. Going back over my bank statement for those two days, I see around 20 stops for gas. The NT gets quite a bit thirsty at interstate speeds. Talking like 40 MPG. You'll want to be filling up at 180 (max) per tank. Maybe even less. I remember stops with far less. Figure 10 minutes for getting gas. That's navigating in, operating the pump, navigating out and merging back on the highway. Right there that's 200 minutes not riding. Figure another 1 1/2 - 2 hours for quick meals, snacks, bathroom time, checking phone, wiping bugs off visor etc. Let's just say 5 hours not actually going anywhere.

That puts the moving average around 74 mph. However, I'm not considering the slow traffic I was stuck in on occasion. Probably another hour not going very far. Basically, as soon as I hit the midwest I was reliably doing 80 mph. Western states, 85 - 90. I should add a * after "reliably". One of the biggest hold ups is tractor trailers trying to pass each other 😠. That can be a few miles of cruising 10-15 mph slower than you were before the "pass" began. Repeat ad nauseam throughout the day. That's one reason I really like doing such riding at 2 am. Most of them have turned in for the evening, no more rolling roadblocks.

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
As I have posted in another thread, speeds like those are impossible here. With our strictly enforced 100/110 kph limits it is only possible to average around 75-80 kph with stops. Many of our "B" and "C" roads have an 80 kph limit so average speeds on those will only be about 60-65 kph.
I have learned to just ride slowly and enjoy the scenery and the experience. Lower speeds mean more time on the bike and that is good.
It also means that fuel consumption is quite low too, around 58-60mpg US (4L/100km or 70mpg Imp).

Macka

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
My little 320 mile loop was on an aggressive schedule. About 3 hours of that is gas stops, lunch, and one tourist stop. Traveling with someone that smokes adds another 1 hour to non-riding time.

That seems way too aggressive of a schedule be of any fun. Bragging rights and sore butt, that’s all about I see in it.

For me going to visit Phil in Greenly, CO would be an Iron Butt Run. Isn’t that one still 1,000 miles in 24 hours?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
As I have posted in another thread, speeds like those are impossible here. With our strictly enforced 100/110 kph limits it is only possible to average around 75-80 kph with stops. Many of our "B" and "C" roads have an 80 kph limit so average speeds on those will only be about 60-65 kph.
I have learned to just ride slowly and enjoy the scenery and the experience. Lower speeds mean more time on the bike and that is good.
It also means that fuel consumption is quite low too, around 58-60mpg US (4L/100km or 70mpg Imp).

Macka
For us, in the U.S.A. here are those mentioned speeds in MPH, 37, 40, 47, 50, 62, and 68. Seems like a 250cc bike would be plenty for that part of that world going off those previously mentioned speeds.

I am just saying...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Macka
You are a wise person. My app, "Yamaha My Ride" gives the total time "Under Way" of a day and the average speed. We usually averaged 54-59 mph while actually riding. Some days the speed limits were 80 and sometimes 60. But there are towns.....sometimes Californicated towns like Twin Falls and Missoula, that can really slow you down. I am out there to enjoy the ride, not to put other people's lives in danger by riding exausted. Give me a good old 300 mile day any day of the week while touring. Especially on two lane rural roads. When I get tired, I say to myself two things. One, how badly do you want to go to the hospital tonight. Two, Do you want to face a young girl's parents in court and tell them about how you just had to have a 1,000 mile in a day "Brain Dead" badge so you were going too fast for conditons at night when you were exausted and crippled their little kid.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Looking at my Spotwalla track of my Bun Burner Gold in '15, my daytime speeds were about 80mph. I was slower at night. I stopped twice for close to 3o
For me going to visit Phil in Greenly, CO would be an Iron Butt Run. Isn’t that one still 1,000 miles in 24 hours?
Yep, that's it. 1,081 miles to Greeley from Sun Valley. 16 hrs, 15 min according to Google Maps. MS MapPoint shows it to be 1079 miles and says 14 hrs, 21 min. Of course, I've set the speed faster than the limit. I set the fuel mileage at 45mpg, and showed getting gas when 1/8 tank was left. It says that would have you refueling at 195 miles. Six fuel-ups between Sun Valley and Greeley.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
As I have posted in another thread, speeds like those are impossible here.
As I've posted before, our Big Rigs can be doing 125 kph on wide open highways. I will always stay a few units ahead of whatever they're doing.

Fun is not really how I'd label any high speed interstate riding. Especially when transiting the "Ride Through" States. I look at it more like expedited shipping my bike to where I want to ride, I just happen to be in the saddle. I'd rather the trip be 1,600 miles to cross the continent, but unfortunately geography doesn't allow it.

Less time spent in Tornado Alley means more time in the mountains and canyons.
I don't ride low seat height cruisers with floorboards for a reason..:whistle:

Top Bottom