What aftermarket seats are out there?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Like Rich, who bought an Air Hawk pad, I too was in back recovery mode for several days after my 2200 miles to Spearfish and back. I have considered the Air Hawk before and very well may go that route after all. However, I think I have the "budget department" (some call them wives) convinced I need an upgraded seat. I don't see myself spending more than $600 (less if possible) so that may eliminate some models.

I'm not interested in doing SS100's or Iron Butts, but I would like to be able to go 4-5 hours without the need to stop and work out the kinks. Currently, I need a break after 100 miles or so with the stock seat and one of those cheap ATV seat pads sold at Walmart.

After reading all of the old posts, I still can't decide which way to go.

So, I'm turning to my panel of experts and open to suggestions. Other than Corbin, Russell, and Rick's Custom Seats, what are some other replacement seat options out there?

Len

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't know if you meant Rick's Custom Seats or Rich's Custom Seats... So just in case here is a link to Rich's Custom Seats....

BTW I had a Corbin for my NT. It was the absolute worst seat I've ever bought...and probably the worst motorcycle seat I've ever sat on. However, the old Corbin Gun Fighter that came with my FJ1200 is very good....go figure....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a Sargent. Its more comfortable than the stock seat while retaining the stock seat pan.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Had my Rich's seat since December 2011... 14K miles. Paid $543 with the winter discount. My biggest complaint with the stock seat was that I was always sliding forward and needed to reset myself back into the seat. The stock seat caused me some butt discomfort, but never had any back issues with it. The Richs seat was made (as requested) to the same seat height. I can ride a few hours more without needing to get off and stretch with the Rich's seat. No butt discomfort now, it's usually just general fatigue, boredom, or need for food/water that gets me out of my seat now.

It took 3-4 hours to make the seat with me and the NT at Rich's shop....several re-sizing and reshapings until it was right.

I would buy another Rich's seat. That's my endorsement.

MAC

HI Len,

I just had Seth Laam, LAAM Custom Seats out of Reedding, CA do my FJR seat. Top Notch Work, I couldn't ride 20 miles on the stock seat with out getting the A@@ BURN, now I am riding all day long.
When you call Laam, Seth anwsers the phone and takes all the time you need. His service is the best I've seen. I sent my seat out July 1st and was riding on the new one the 17th. The price was half the $$ of a Russell. The FJR is a two pice set and was $ 494.00, one pice is less .

Just another seat to look at.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Another endorsement here for Rich's seats. Of, course, it's a really short trip for me to get to/from Rich's. But the result, after his working the seat over, is a seat I can ride on all day long without any discomfort. Longest single day so far: 840 miles, as part of a 3,000 mile, six-day trip last summer.

Plus, I get a nice tag on the seat with my name on it :cool:

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is my take:

Spencer (greatdaytoride.com) is good "bang for the buck". His premium upgrade runs $75 IIRC. He does not sew covers so the turnaround is fast but customization is limited. I had one of his seats an my Suzuki GS500F and liked it.

Sargent is a good bet. Look in their site for the "Premium Foam Upgrade". They will build their seat on your pan so no fit isseues. Lots of customization available so beware, you can spend a lot. Good seat. My issue with them was communication and I got a seat WAY mal adjusted by not using the right terms.

Russell is considered the Cadillac of seats. It's what I have now. Search their sight well because you can put together a Russell on a surprisingly reasonable budget by picking the right options. You can also spend a fortune. You get to talk directly with your seat builder. We spent an hour on the phone before I sent mine in for its second adjustment. No charge for these.

Good luck. Oh, I still ride in 100 mile stints generally but whitha good seat can do more. 100 mile incremented my way to SS1000.

Chuck

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You can also do it yourself.

there is a great site on forming the seat yourself. I reformed one that I have now and it is very comfortable. No, not as good as a Russell, but, good enough for 2 hours straight and a 9 hour day.

The key is to put softer foam under the "butt" bones and the tail bone and firmer foam aroun the perimeter.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I had a Corbin on mine for 2 years, before I traded the bike for a Wing Trike. Hard cushion when compared to stock, but I liked the slight drop in height. After 5 minutes, I didn't notice the firmer seat.
The seat and backrest are for sale, by the way. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
enigmatic biker
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks everyone for your comments. It helps.

Combining everything I've heard here, in person, and in doing online research of customer testimonials suggests that the Corbin is the most "iffy" for rider comfort. Anyone agree or disagree?

Then it seems to be a toss-up between Rich's and the Russell as the "Cadillac's" of seats.

Keep posting those different suggestions. It gives me research topics to explore.
Len

Bike
Silver NT700V
One of the reported problems with Corbin involves the seat pan. Corbin makes their own seat pan and several have reported problems with the fit. Sargent, Russell, and the rest start with an NT seat pan so fit to the bike is never an issue.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had 105,500 miles on my wing when I got rid of it, 9,000 of those were on Rich O'Connors rebuild, It worked well for me.I don't like going the seattle rout just because I don't like the traffic there, I can go to Shasta Lake to rusell with much less stress even though it is about twice the distance. I have had a R850 BMW with russeles on it, a KLR with Russell, a Shadow VLX 600 with a russel, My NT with a Russell My Harley Ultra Classic was rebuilt by Don Webber in Albany Or , 50 miles from home, it is a major improvement over stock and he does a lot of seat work , his pricing is about the same as Russell , or Riches, but the saving is in cost of fuel, tire rubber, and two nights out on the road going and coming. The BMW already had te russels job done on it when it came into my stable.in most cases IF I get another bike it too will have a RUSSELL. Just my two cents worth.

Eldon

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I don't like going the seattle rout just because I don't like the traffic there
FWIW one need not go through Seattle to get to Kingston, where Rich's is. Especially coming from the South. But it is true that his location being very convenient to me is a major factor. Just an easy day trip. But on the day I was there, there were guys with their bikes from fairly distant locales, including Calgary.

Ditto what Rich said. I have a Rich's seat, I had one on my prior motorcycle, a Honda VTX. My wife certainly likes sitting pillon on these seats. The fit is to you specifically. He has an apartment over his store for out of town guests who wish to stay over night for a very cheap price.

Terry

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Combining everything I've heard here, in person, and in doing online research of customer testimonials suggests that the Corbin is the most "iffy" for rider comfort. Anyone agree or disagree?
Definitely agree.... Between the seat's fit on the NT issues, comfort issues for some folks, the loss of the rear under seat space where the tool kit or FZ-1 would go due to having a new seat pan, and questionable customer service reports add up to bottom of the list for me...

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The fit is to you specifically. He has an apartment over his store for out of town guests who wish to stay over night for a very cheap price.
I was there last week, and stayed in his beautifully appointed apartment. I only have 150 miles on mine but by next week will have 4000 or so and will be able to give a full report. He does beautiful work, his shop is immaculate, and his workers are very friendly and were willing to answer all my questions. Rich runs things like a First Sargent, and is a font of knowledge on all things motorcycle related. I had a great visit and expect to enjoy my new seat for many miles. Ken

OP
OP
enigmatic biker
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks to all of you who weighed in and offered me some suggestions. I do appreciate it, and now I have something to work with.
Len

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Whatever I decide to get when I retire and get back to the U.S., I will put a Russell on it. I plan on riding in for a custom fitting. They are only about 2000 miles from home and 250 miles from my brother in San Jose.

Top Bottom