What are you "carrying" ?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Don't get excited, this is the Camera forum! :D I normally carry an older Sony CyberShot DSC-H10 which works very well for quick and dirty photography. The pictures in my Review of the Skidmarx Cowl were taken with it.

The H-10 is an older camera, 5 years is a lifetime in technology now days, that I bought to carry on the road for work for use in taking "site survey" photos. Now it lives on the NT as my "carry".... I also bought the optional telephoto lens and carry that as well for really long distance shots...

My wife doesn't like messing with my old Minolta 35MM gear and new Sony "Alpha" DSLR bodies so I bought her a Sony DCS-HX1 the "next Gen" of the Sony H-x0 series. This camera is so good I often leave all the DSLR "stuff" at home and just carry it on our trips. It shoots "360? panorama" photos and HD 1080p video as well as "regular" photos. With a 28MM Sony "G" lens with 20X optical zoom, and 20X "digital zoom" it takes outstanding pictures, but only at 9.1 MP if that is important to you. I also bought the optional 1.7X telephoto lens for this camera but have not needed it yet!

Here is a photo of the "other" campground just down the road from Two Wheels Only (TWO) near Suches, Georgia taken in October 2009, "click" on it to view the other sizes, like the original size 3456 X 2592, on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wecnwise/7491504878/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

I highly recommend the Sony HX-1. You can get a real good price now as they are being superseded by the HX-100V in the near future...

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Here is a photo of the "other" campground just down the road from Two Wheels Only (TWO) near Suches, Georgia taken in October 2009
Man, I could do some serious relaxin' by that little stream.

I carry an Olympus D-595 Zoom. Seems to do a good job.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Having to remember to pack a camera is why I leave the "retired" H10 on my NT.... Now I just have to remember to charge the batteries!

Bike
Silver NT700V
My current camera is a Canon Power Shot A570. Nothing fancy, $X optical zoom and 7.1 MP. Small and light, it will fit in a fairing pocket. After all the heat talk and seeing how warm things are when they come out, I don't put it in there any more. All the pics I have posted here have been taken with it.

Silver Ranger

I take one of 3 cameras with me. The oldest of the bunch is a Canon PowerShot S30. When I purchased it 10 years ago it was a very good camera at 3 megapixels. My preferred choice is my daughters Nikon Coolpix S70. It’s a small and simple camera and takes good photos. If I want outstanding photos I take my Canon 50D with a 28 to 150 mm and a 70 to 300 mm lens both have image stabilizing built in. If I am going to my son’s sporting events or if I want photos of wildlife I will also take a 150 to 500 mm image stabilized lens also.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a Panasonic that does a good job... except for the fact that it doesn't give me control of shutter speed or aperture. I want something that lets me prioritize. I prefer small and cheap. Any recommendations?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Ye Gods, I feel like a Dinosaur. I used to shoot professionally and still have my Pentax M Series cameras with the A type lenses. 35mm is pretty much out of style. I am colorblind and shoot mostly in B&W using filters to enhance images. Moving into the digital world would be a challenge. I am looking at a very compact Nikon digital with 13 Megapixels (I need to find out what that means) A friend says that this is good. Will take his word for it. I guess that I will have to learn how to put the pictures on the computer so that all you folks can see them. Looks like quite a challenge for this almost 70 year old pea brain. Guess you folks will need to be patient with me. I'm still having a time getting used to a motorcycle without a kickstarter, push button starting, and directional lights--and who was the Rocket Scientist who came up with the kickstand kill switch? I have only been away from motorcycles for 20 years. Some things are still the same. The Ninja was less complicated.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I normally carry a Canon S95 and if I am in photo taking mode, I carry a Canon 40D with a 28-70 2.8 and a 70-200 F4.

taldric

The best camera is the one you have with you. That's why I love my iPhone camera. It isn't amazing but I always have it.

When I am going somewhere that might have good picture taking opportunities I will bring my wife's Nikon D3100. It's an amazing DSLR camera and takes terrific pictures.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
In the 35mm days resolution was determined by the number of silver crystals in the film.
Each crystal = a pixel.
The more pixels the bigger you can blow it up.

Igo

I carry any one of several Pentax dSLRs for wich I have 30 lenses. But most usually for backpacking or motorcycling I carry a Pentax k100D Super with a Pentax 18-250 lens, polarizing and UV filters. Never leave home without at least this set up.
My most used photo thread is here: http://www.summitpost.org/image_list/igo/39275

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I usually just use the camera in my phone. It is always with me so that's what gets the most use.

I have a Fuji for when I want to take 'real' pictures while riding. It has velcro on the front so it will stick to the tank bag while riding (it also has a tether in case I drop it). I can pick it up, turn it on and shoot a photo with my left hand at just about any speed, including in a corner :) Yes, I point it and shoot without looking at the rear screen. The 13mp come in handy so I can crop to what I was interested in. It has stabilization, can be used under water, dust and shock "proof". Good enough for 'tourist' photos.

The wife has the 'good' camera, a Pentax dist. It only gets used when we are on 'truck' trips or when she is out for a photo session (she does outdoor stuff).

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Usually my Canon SD950IS, or my even older SD860IS. On those occasions when I am heading out specificly to take photos I may take my Pentax K7 DSLR and a couple of lenses, but normally it's the SD950IS. Small, handy, does OK most all the time.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S750. It was not expensive and I like its compact size. Unfortunately I usually forget to take it so I end up taking pictures with my cell phone.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I use and abuse a Canon PowerShot SD750. Small, easy to use, good battery life, takes good pictures. Most importantly, takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Guess I missed this thread when it started, but now that it's been resurrected...
I'll add that I've been a big fan of Canon's point-and-shoots for a long time and I've owned several over the years. My current one is the Powershot Elph 520HS. I was also very happy with a Pentax that fit in an Altoids tin. The Canon Elph's can almost fit in one but not quite :)

I do not have photography skills and always leave them all on "automatic" settings - so I've always prioritized portability with picture quality and I've been very happy with Canon's Elph line for many years for being able to take great pics from a small package. Although, cell phone cameras have become so much better these days, I often just use that even though the image quality isn't as good. It's easy because a photo taken on the phone is automatically uploaded to dropbox (and google) and on my pc when I get home.

Rick's explanation of megapixels is probably the best I've seen. People tend to equate the quality of a camera by how many "megapixels" it has. And the manufacturers play this up, too because it's an easily quantifiable number. But it's simply not true. It's the quality of the optics and the image sensor that make the picture good or not. Having more megapixels on poor-quality sensors and optics just means you can take a BIGGER bad picture.

My current camera is a 10.1 megapixel, but I turn down the image size for normal pics as well, as I have no need for 6000x4000 resolution or whatever 10mp equates to (plus, it makes the file size too large as Rick also mentioned). The number of megapixels just keep going up on their own, so I don't use it as a shopping metric. I do like how this small camera is able to pack in a 12x OPTICAL zoom and remain so small. I always turn digital zoom off because it just makes pictures terrible imo. I swear manufacturers just do it so they can advertise a larger zoom "number." Optical image stabilization is also a great thing to have and is pretty common in cameras now (as well as facial tracking). Helps prevent a lot of blurry pics. And much like zoom, optical stabilization is better than digital stabilization.

Note that small cameras like this are best for outdoors/sunlight. Being so small, it has a small sensor and can't capture as much light so they sometimes suffer in low-light conditions compared to larger cameras. But, I'm no pro and I think they look just fine - and I use the camera primarily outdoors anyway.

I tire of having to take out the memory card and transfer pics to the pc (or plugging in a usb cable). So I'll likely switch to a camera with built in wifi sometime - as they're starting to come around now. Probably give it a couple years to get sorted and let prices settle.

Anyway...happy shooting!

Top Bottom