What are you doing to prevent fogged visor on cold mornings?

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Back to my original question on fogging faceshield.....thanks for all of the suggestions.
I ordered the "Clarity Defog It" on the internet, and tried it this morning at 42 degrees, and I had absolutely no fogging at all. I couldn't believe how well it worked! Thanks for the suggestion.
The bottle I ordered is very small, and just a few drops will do it, but I believe I'll re-order a spare package soon.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Back to my original question on fogging faceshield.....thanks for all of the suggestions.
I ordered the "Clarity Defog It" on the internet, and tried it this morning at 42 degrees, and I had absolutely no fogging at all. I couldn't believe how well it worked! Thanks for the suggestion.
The bottle I ordered is very small, and just a few drops will do it, but I believe I'll re-order a spare package soon.
I have been using it as well. The bottles are small so I ordered two of them. So far it is the best stuff I have found.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
LL75,

I agree it is a personal choice, and I'll say almost any helmet is better than none... But I disagree that all full face helmets impede your vision. And I'll list the links to the information I base my opinion on....

DOT FMVSS 218 Section S5.4 certification establishes the minimum peripheral vision requirements at 210? total in their specifications. The medical standard used in eye exams is 180? peripheral vision for "normal" vision. So in theory :rolleyes: there should not be an issue as the "Standard" helmet eye port is 30? wider than most folks can use.:
Wayne

At times I wear a white 3/4 AFX FX50 and for others a white Nolan N90 full coverage. I like them both a lot. No question the Nolan provides better protection. There is also no question that the AFX has much better vision coverage especially when I commute in city traffic. I feel much more comfortable with the AFX in traffic and I am willing to give up the extra protection of the full coverage N90 helmet so that I can keep a better eye on traffic and perhaps avoid a collision. Not saying others could not make their own logical choice that might be different.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Wayne

At times I wear a white 3/4 AFX FX50 and for others a white Nolan N90 full coverage. I like them both a lot. No question the Nolan provides better protection. There is also no question that the AFX has much better vision coverage especially when I commute in city traffic. I feel much more comfortable with the AFX in traffic and I am willing to give up the extra protection of the full coverage N90 helmet so that I can keep a better eye on traffic and perhaps avoid a collision. Not saying others could not make their own logical choice that might be different.
I agree with you Warren, I prefer the overall vision provided by my 3/4 helmet for the same reason as you stated. I've no argument with anyone who prefers the full coverage style and on occasion I wear them but not always. Frankly I like having a choice of gear, that's why I have an entire closet full of outfits. My other half thinks I need to clean things out but that's another matter.

I expect most of us who ride a lot consider ourselves to be safety minded and we like to minimize risk to the point we're comfortable at. That's kind of how I do things, I make allowances for environmental changes, anticipated traffic patterns, length of trips, all that stuff. When I tour I often take two helmets along, a full coverage and a 3/4 model. I've even picked up a half helmet when I rode in super hot weather and the full coverage lid was just too much. I suppose I'll get some sage advice about not riding in temps like that and then I'll have to respond with anti-hydration vest info yadda yadda and so on. Suffice it to say I'm not eager to suffer any injuries and I take what I see as reasonable precautions to prevent that from happening. Beyond that I'll take my chances.

LL75:)

PS - BTW, and this is off topic but I can't resist mentioning, I noticed you have a Yamaha XS 650 listed in your sig line. Bet you'd love my old green 1970 XS-1, I bought it new and although I've never ridden it much I've held onto it. Small world, eh?

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Interesting reading all this about fogging and Full vs 3/4 helmets.

I have always worn a full face helmet until I bought my NT. My previous bikes did not offer much wind protection, and the full face helmet was much more comfortable than an open face. However, with my NT, the wind protection is very good and I began wearing a 3/4 Bell with a snap on face shield because I felt stifled in the full face (HJC). I noticed right away that not only could I breath easy, but the noise is 100 percent better. I am wearing the Bell now all the time because of the great improvement in noise. I was worried about fogging in the HJC with the reduced wind, but it has not been a problem with the Bell so far. Previously, I would always lift my windscreen whenever I stopped, or slowed down below 30 mph so that the windscreen on the HJC would not fog up. My Bell wind screen does not raise up, so I don't know how it will work when it actually gets cold (-0 c).

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
LL75:)

PS - BTW, and this is off topic but I can't resist mentioning, I noticed you have a Yamaha XS 650 listed in your sig line. Bet you'd love my old green 1970 XS-1, I bought it new and although I've never ridden it much I've held onto it. Small world, eh?
LL

Very nice XS-1. Hang on to it as they are getting hard to find and have become quite collectable. Since getting my NT my XS650, 77D spends most of its time in the storage unit waiting for my attention. Do you belong to the Yamaha XS650 Society ?

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
LL

Very nice XS-1. Hang on to it as they are getting hard to find and have become quite collectable. Since getting my NT my XS650, 77D spends most of its time in the storage unit waiting for my attention. Do you belong to the Yamaha XS650 Society ?
If I'm remembering correctly I've visited their site a couple of times over the years but don't think I joined. I recall asking about posting mine in their for-sale area but didn't get around to it. Truthfully I'm not an enthusiast for them, really never have been and can't for the life of me think of a good reason why I've kept it this long. Last summer I brought it back to life for a couple of days, rode it a hundred miles or so which after the first 5 miles I remembered why I never rode it much and put it back under it's blanket in the barn. I keep intending to advertise it in Japan as those guys seem to like original ones like mine but again it's never in the forefront of my mind and I forget about it. Frankly since buying my NT I'd like to see it and couple others go away.:eek1:

LL:(

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Garwil,

When I rode my NT home from Albany, NY I encountered nearly every kind of weather condition including riding in hail, really cold rain that lasted all day, and hot dusty conditions. When I rode in the hail it was coldest and I wore the strangest combination of gear ever; a T-shirt, electric vest with unheated sleeves, summer weight mesh jacket, and Frogg Toggs rain gear on top. Usually when it's really cold out I wear a baklava to keep my chin & face warm but didn't find it necessary because the windshield provided enough protection. In fact since buying the NT I haven't worn any kind of baklava so maybe I won't need one from now on. I also had my visor in the down position which really helps. BTW, a few years back I picked up a Knox Cold Killer from their UK site and it really does the job should you find yourself in need. I think I paid around $35 for it and carry it in my tank pack at the ready.

LL:)

Top Bottom