What did you buy first?

SCBWV

Having just bought a new NT, as you can imagine, I have started a rather lengthy list of accessories to add. I'm interested in knowing what you bought / added first? How come?

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Stebel Horn, Path Blazer headlight modulator, Tail Blazer brake modulator, fender extender. These were just my first accessories and were added for safety. Later added HeliBars (comfort) with Powerlet, Bestem top box, and Riggs tank bag (both bags for convenience). Soon to come will be a HealTech gear indicator (peace of mind/safety). Update - Also ordered a shop manual and used it when removing/replacing the Tupperware. Wanda P.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Top box, large lids, heated grips, 1"riser, wind deflectors all bought in year one. Much more later.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I bought a fender extender then an MCL riser kit then an undercowl and finally pannier bags

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
First thing to purchase is already done: the motorcycle. Next how do you plan on riding? Long trips, are just short rides.
What weather do you plan on riding in: cold, heat, rain. Once you decided how your going to enjoy the NT then purchase the items that make your journey better.
One thing for sure you will need a repair manual, weather you do you own or not.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Since I planned and do ride long distances the first thing I worked on was the seat. My first ride on the NT, the day after delivery, was a little over 300 miles. Seat issues were apparent right away. I've been through two. Ordered a Sargent. It was good but I messed it up on adjustments and it was going to cost a bundle to fix it. So, I ordered a Russell Day-Long. It is great though it took two adjustments to get it right. The difference with Russell was getting to speak directly to my seat builder at some length. The conversation before the second adjustment was almost an hour long.

I have also added, in no particular order a top case (JC Whitney), fog lights (Denali D2), handleber risers (SW Motech Bar Backs), windscreen spoiler (Laminar Lip). The lights and risers are from Twisted Throttle who give excellent service. I have had no issues with the case and it costs about a third of what a Givi runs. The Laminar Lip attaches to the stock screen and is very effective at smoothing the air flow. Since you keep the stock screen there are no issues with cracks as some have had with aftermarket. Laminar alos gives good service, I've tried them on two bikes. The one on my old bike did not work (for me) and they took it back. Can't do any better than back.

We are ready willing able to "help" you spend money.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I bought each as I needed it.

Risers first to alleviate neck issues
Windshield cause I was riding with stock one all the way up all the time and it looked dorky :)
Russell seat cause my butt started to hurt after 20min.
12V power cause I was starting longer trips and wanted a GPS and power to my phone.
Trunk cause my brother got one (JC WHitney) and I liked how convenient it was.
Heated grips cause I was tired of cold hands and they (Oxford) were cheapest solution (heated gloves better)
Aux lights so folks could see me better during the day.
Large lids cause I was starting to camp and needed the extra space. Would have got them first if they were cheaper.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Heated grips and a power outlet. They both don't get used every day but are great when you want them. Big lids I use every day I ride now and looking back they would be the first change today.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
With initial order tobe installed on bike before it ever left dealer: OEM heated grips, Wind deflectors, 1 up, 1 bCK RISERA. 1,000 MILES LATER, Russsel Day Long, hEPKO bECKER TANK GUARD, AND kURYAKIN FREEWAY PEGS, ALSO DENAI SECOND SERIES LIGHTS, WITH-IN SIX MONTHS hELI - BAR RIZERS 2 UP & 3 BAxk, Cee Baaily Plus 4 after trying a plus two which helped but was not tall enough to suit me. also added Aux tail & brake lights & turn signal cancler from Kisan, also Kurt Gran's Fuzeb;ock,

next possible additions may be Aux fuel Cell ad Pia 910 night driving lights. I have this stuff on hand , just have not gotten around to doing the install as I have been busy putting 40,000 miles on in last 20 months.

HOW COME: Safety, & comfort, I ride long milesin long days ,If the Heli risors had been available for ABS systems when I initialy orederd biek they would have been on it when I took it on its maiden voyage from th dealership. Stock sat is junk and my butt has been russelized ofr or at least cusom seated for last ten + years 7 different bikes. Aux lighting denies as dily driving lights to help being seen , plus much improved vision for night riding, Heated grips for comfort. I had Honda OEM heated on my wing for 105.500 miles and no problems from them ever!, Oh yes I almost forgot, Larry Buck's tail brights reflective for rear of bike.these also went on bike before it left dealership.OH yes also had throttle meister cruise put on initially before bike ever left dealership.

Eldon

Last edited:

tawilke46

Every bike owner will have differing priorities, but these accessories were mine. In order of purchase:
CeeBailey +4 windshield
Fuze Block
HyperWhite front marker lights
Bags Connection tank bag
Corbin seat, which turned out to be a mistake, but have to live with it now.
Honda top case with mount
Admore light bar

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
My bike came from the PO with:
Skidmarx undercowl
Honda hand deflectors
Honda tank pad
Cee Bailey +4
Honda power outlet
Givi Maxi case with flush mount

I added:
Brake light modulator
HealTech gear indicator
big lids
1-up 1-back risers
Bestem bag liners
Oxford heated grips
Fuzeblock
Vista Cruise throttle lock
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

I think it's pretty good now, but I'm sure there is some more money that I NEED to spend.... I'll just have to keep reading this forum to find out what it is.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm still farkelizing, but here are the things I added, in order of purchase:

• Helibar risers - the original aggressive riding posture is tough on my back. The Helibar package included a Powerlet outlet and Ram ball mount, allowing me to install the GPS I already owned. the Helibars offered 31/2 inches higher and 41/2 inches rearward - a big change in position which I needed.
  • Service manual
  • Grip Puppies - inexpensive foam covers. I have large hands and the grips on most Japanese bikes are too thin for me.
  • Givi E55 top case. I am a sports photographer and need lots of space for gear, as well as for long trips The E55 is the largest Givi makes.
  • Large European pannier lids - same reasons as the top box
  • Cee Bailey +6 windscreen. With the more upright position of the Helibars, the original was just not tall enough.
  • Manic Salamander Pounder bar end weights. I have just a little vibration at speed and these damped it nicely. But to be honest - I like the looks.

I will buy a Russell Day Long saddle and install Mick o' Pegs when the piggy bank allows. The stock seat is okay for commuting, but not for longer rides.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
1" bar risers & sw-motech alu-rack and topcase. Not exactly farkles, but I also spent some money on camping gear and a dry bag for the pillion seat. That was all I needed to make the NT touring ready for my first big motorcycle trip. I left for the trip one month after buying the motorcycle and the day after doing the 600mi service. My NT was a replacement for a TU250X that couldn't handle long freeway trips at modern interstate speeds. I was still a little uneasy about the "big" NT and my first big trip, but a couple days later I was perfectly comfortable with it.

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
I can't flat-foot, and pushing the bike around made me nervous, so Corbin seat was first - apparently I'm the only one that likes mine..

MCL risers were next - better riding position..

The risers came with the ram ball clamp, so I got the pieces to mount my GPS..

Then I upgraded all my riding gear from the basic stuff I bought when I got the NT.

b.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The first few farkles for my NT were:

1. Top case (Givi E55 Maxia) - for storage
2. Wind Deflectors (OEM) - for comfort/extend "light" glove riding season
3. Crampbuster - for comfort
4. Bar Risers (MCL) - for comfort/ergos
5. Grip Puppies - for comfort
6. Tank pad - for looks

And later came others (in no particular order):
-Cee Bailey +2 windshield
-HealTech gear indicator (in blue!)
-Tailbrights
-Bestem Saddlebag liners
-Wired USB outlet
-Fuzeblock
-Twisted Throttle Denali D2 lights
-Various RAM mounts to hold things like GPS, EZ-Pass
-Admore lighting kit for top case

Bob

In order of purchase:

- heated grips (with the bike because I knew I didn't want to do the install myself)
- Honda top box (love it because it is very practical, makes the bike look better, and puts me in a "touring" mindset so I ride slower)
- zumo 665 and ScalaRider G4 - GPS, XM RADIO, MP3 PLAYER, FM RADIO (on the G4) , Bike to Bike Comm, Bike to Phone Comm, and Weather Alerts All in one
The XM radio is awesome on trips, haven't used the Bluetooth to Phone Communications yet... Don't really want to talk to anyone when I'm riding.
- +2" windscreen (the one with the flip at the top in light smoke color, Christmas gift from my wife)
- ThrottleMeister (really helpful on long trips but I would love to have real cruise control)
- battery tender

Top Bottom