What does your speedometer read

A friend of mine rode my Vstrom 1000 and I rode my NT700V to the hardware store for keys made for both bikes. We switched coming home, and we talked about the speed. When I was doing 70 on the nt the Vstrom was reading almost 80. Was wondering if the nt is off on the speed. I know the Vstrom is but will have to have someone follow me one day in a car and see how much. The flashing signs, if they pick up my bike , are pretty far off. At a construction site I was doing around 75 on the vstrom and flashing speed sign was flashing 55. Thanks

A friend of mine rode my Vstrom 1000 and I rode my NT700V to the hardware store for keys made for both bikes. We switched coming home, and we talked about the speed. When I was doing 70 on the nt the Vstrom was reading almost 80. Was wondering if the nt is off on the speed. I know the Vstrom is but will have to have someone follow me one day in a car and see how much. The flashing signs, if they pick up my bike , are pretty far off. At a construction site I was doing around 75 on the vstrom and flashing speed sign was flashing 55. Thanks
Suzuki speedos always lie big time. My Suzi lied by about 12% until I recalibrated it. It is now accurate to within 1%. The NT speedo is close to the mark.

Macka

My NT is dead on with my GPS. My VStrom 1000 was 8% optimistic. The problem is....you have a choice between an accurate speedometer or an accurate odometer. If you install something like a Speedohealer to make the speedometer correct, it throws the odometer off by the same percentage.

True, true. My NT speedometer is spot on, well within 1 or 2 mph on my GPS anyway. My 2009 650 VStrom speedo is not very accurate. When doing a GPS reading 70 on the interstate, my speedo is reading 78mph.

My Deauville is very accurate. No more than 1 mph difference at different speeds.

The FJR over-reads by about 8%

My NT is accurate within 1%, both speedometer and odometer. Over 1000 miles, GPS and odometer are within 2-3 miles.

tested mine just 2 weeks ago. using mile markers on interstate with no exits, and in 5 miles, tenths of a mile were right on. so if odometer in right on , so is mph

tested mine just 2 weeks ago. using mile markers on interstate with no exits, and in 5 miles, tenths of a mile were right on. so if odometer in right on , so is mph

It would seem that way, but if there is a mechanical linkage between a wheel and the speedo/odo, they may be different. When I had my C10 Concours, if I used Goldwing 1500-sized bias-ply tires (which I always did after I wore out the crappy OEM radials), the speedometer would be within 1%, but the odometer was off about 3.5%.

Checked the speedo on the VFR800 using the smart phone. The app I use has more functions than I need but displays the GPS speed in big numbers. NT is right on. The BMW F800GT is off by a couple mph at higher speeds. The VFR was off by 6-8% but rear sprocket has an extra tooth (only accounts for 2-3%).

One trip to Spearfish rally, Coyote Chris and I were surprised that our NT odometer mileages were exactly the same from fuel stop to fuel stop.

Back
Top Bottom