What fuel grade to use.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I understand that the NT calls for an octane level of 86 or higher. My question is which of the following would be best to run in my bike.
87 octane with up to 10% ethanol
89 octane with up to 10% ethanol
92 octane with 0% ethanol
I want to run what's best if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Clint

Loyal to Honda

I've ran it all, and the best performance/mileage is the no ethanol stuff. However it is not available every where. In those cases I usually go with a tank of 87, then a tank of 93 alternated. In those times I keep in the pass thru. a bottle of Lucas ethanol treatment and put about a bottle neck full in the tank before filling. It serves two purposes, 1. Does not weaken any of the system components, 2. Achieves about the same results as 0 ethanol. Every two tank fill ups, I run injector cleaner as well.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ethanol is not good, but I've been running gas in two Concours and my NT for the last 245,000 miles and it hasn't hurt anything. I've used a Techron a time or two in the Connies, but no additives have been in the NT. I run the lowest octane at the pump. Up here at 4330 ft msl, that's 85 octane.

I've never had any gasoline related issues. My understanding that higher octane gas has measurably fewer BTUs per gallon. The higher octane is needed in high compression engines to prevent detonation. It does nothing to increase power.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As long as you run a Top Tier gas you should be fine with any of your choices. As Phil stated higher octane gas in not required and using it adds no benefit to the NT, it just adds extra cost. Now, if I had a local source for non-ethanol gas I would use it due to the issues ethanol has been known to cause.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I think I had a "bad gas" issue a month or so back. Ironically, it was from Top Tier station. The engine revved like crazy, up to 2500 rpm on start up, and came down very slowly to 1500 rpm as the engine warmed. After that tank ran out I re-fueled at another station and the problem went away.

I run regular Top Tier gas, generally Shell but also Chevron/Exxon. I will use Valero also (they used to be Diamond Shamrock).

I have consistently heard that running premium grades in an engine designed for regular gets you nothing but a bigger fuel bill.

tawilke46

We can only get ethanol blend fuels here. I usually run 87/10 with the addition of fuel additive for the ethanol.
If I could get regular non ethanol gas , I would use that.
Have had no problems with how the bikes run.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've always used brand-name gas (the lowest octane). The only brand I think has made any difference was Chevron with Techron. The times I went west where Chevron is readily available on my Concours, by the 2nd or 3rd tank of Chevron, I would be getting 2-3 mpg better fuel economy. When I'd come back here, where Chevron was not available, my gas mileage wouild go down that same 2-3 mpg.

To get a definitive answer as to whether that was some unconscious change in my driving habits or some other factor, I guess you'd need to do a fleet-wide blind test, but I'll buy Chevron when I can.

For several years, my auto mechanic recommended buying Sinclair here in Fort Morgan because it came straight from the refinery in Sinclair, Wyoming, and did not have any ethanol. But it's like every other gas in Colorado now, spiked/diluted with 10% ethanol.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I've consistently heard that running premium grades in an engine designed for regular gets you nothing but a bigger fuel bill.]

It does make your NT run faster since your wallet is thinner after paying for premium!

Sometimes when crossing the country via rural routes, it's pretty difficult to find a major brand gas station but my NT has never let me down running on pig's swill.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like Shell gasoline, and run the 87 Octane variety in my car and MC. Every other tankful gets a shot of Star-Tron additive. I have had no problems with the car or MC. As for carbon build up--I run fairly high RPM--37 to 4000 RPM minimum with the NT, and 2500 RPM minimum with the Vibe. When I can't get Shell, I get Mobil or Irving.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I just remembered that when I bought my first new Goldwing in 1997, as I was reading the owners manual (Religiously) and it actually said to NOT use Premium gas but only 87 octane.

Older folks like Phil and I and Moses and Methuselah have some old habits that are or were hard to get rid of, such as putting "good high octane' fuel in our stuff and to make sure our oil drain intervals are 3,000 miles and no more, don't go in the water right after ya eat and that fast food was good for us:) It takes a while to ascertain the truth or change old habits!

My new Goldwing calls for 8,000 mile oil change intervals and I absolutely CAN'T force myself to do that even though I use very expensive synthetic oil. I have used premium gas many times on a trip but really didn't notice any difference whatsoever in mileage or performance.

I still believe in 'snake oil' motor additives but I'm workin' on that:)

Sam:)
I don't know about later models of the GW but my 1975 absolutely got poorer gas mileage on premium. Pretty much always got about 40 MPG on regular but it dropped to 36-37 on premium. My first ST1300 (an '03) "required" premium. The second (an '05) "recommended" premium. I always used regular. Never had a problem.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Older folks like Phil and I and Moses and Methuselah have some old habits
Sam, I may be old, but you're talking about habits I never had. I've always used the lowest grade of gas recommended by the manufacturer, always gone with at least the oil-change intervals recommended by the manufacturer. I do admit to believing that fast food is good for me. :)

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Thanks for all the info. My concern is the ethanol.
Clint

Bike
2010 NT700V
Do you mean to tell me that Big Macs, STP and fuel line magnets are not the Three Greatest Wonders of the Modern World?!?!?!?!

I am CRUSHED.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
LOL, George! My dad always said that his goal was to die after he spent every cent he had. He came pretty close! It made things a bit tight for Mom for the next three years that she lived, but she made it. They sure didn't leave their children anything and that was just fine.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I see many use 89 octane, Owners Manual says 91, I always wonder how often you get what you pay for. I don't think there is as much checking to be sure the grade is the what it says at pump. I figure at over 50 mpg I don't care about 20 cents extra a gallon and many time use 93, but I sure the no reason to use it.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I knew a guy who said that his goal in life was to die a million dollars in debt.:rolleyes1:
Good to see the world still has its underachivers. Higher octane fuel is a waste of cash when you don't have a need for it. Honda has the bike set up for 87 or it's high altitude equivalent. You are fine if you use that. Ethanol in our bikes will also not cause you any undue problems as long as you don't let it sit in the tank (ect) too long. I use the red stuff and have never had a problem when I used it. The only exception is my chainsaw that gets new fuel mix (93 octane) every month if it all does not get burned up. Dump it in the trucks tank. The solution to pollution is dilution. Well almost.

Top Bottom