what is a self inflating sleeping pad?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Typically when you roll them up you squeeze all the air out and then close the valve. When you open the valve up and unroll them the air goes back in and they have self inflated.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What Warren said...although the Thermarest I had for years never quite self-inflated. It usually took a few puffs to get up to where I wanted it to be.

The one I've got now, a Big Agnes insulated pad takes a few more puffs than the Thermarest did but isn't hard to get blown up. I think it's more comfortable too. My Thermarest was only about 3/4" thick inflated. The Big Agnes Q-Core is 3 1/2" thick and that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Phil
Do you remember if there are electric hookups at the campground in Spearfish?
Where the NT's camped last year, there was no electrical hookups. I had to have Taldric charge my phone on his bike. Many people were leaving phones and electronics in the bathroom to charge. However the restroom didn't have a lot of plugs. If you are thinking of taking a pump the restrooms were very close and easy to walk to.

Regarding sleeping pads. I have a nice thermarest that I still use when I am car camping. For the motorcycle I have switched to great product that mellow highlights in his video. My main reason for switching was the size when compressed and folded. it is about 1/4 the packed size of my thermarest. It is not self-inflatable, but has a clever hand pump built in. If your interested check out mellows camping video on here. I am still amazed at how small it packs down. I have slept on it 8 nights now camping off the motorcycle and find it very comfortable. First time I used it I actually put too much air in it and found it too firm. Adjust to your comfort level.

Here is a link to the sleeping pad:
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/0/4353A03482F4BE77C1257848002221C5?opendocument

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
If you are thinking of taking a pump the restrooms were very close and easy to walk to
No I am worried about my phone
But the real reason I asked was because i use a CPAP machine when I sleep and was hoping there might be a plug I could set up near.
Without it I dont get the rest I need, but I dont want to spend $400 for a room for 3 nights in Spearfish either
I am thinking about buying a good tent and the very very basic needs. If I want to do any real touring I am going to have to learn how to camp out or the cost of the hotels will be prohibitive, not to mention having to get to my hotel each night to avoid getting a no show charge. Things happen and you have to be able to adapt your schedule.
Fuel and food cost enough
If I invest 3 to 4 hundred bucks and actually go on the road, it will pay for itself in one trip

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If you pitch your tent in one of the pop-up camper spots at Spearfish, you'd have power for your CPAP machine. Some of them were pretty close to us.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The spots that are used for travel trailers / RVs have two 20 amp outlets (std 110v) in addition to the 30 amp and 50 amp. You might be able to find a spot close enough. The campground people seem to be friendly and flexible.

RE Self Inflating: My original Thermarest is filled with 1 inch of foam with a valve on the corner. If you open the valve the foam will expand. You close the valve when you use it. To roll it up you open the valve and roll the air out and close the valve. You can blow into the valve to make the matteress more supportive. There is no "self inflating" mechanism other than foam returning to its orignal shape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
If you have problems breathing (copd, asthma, sleep apnea, congestive heart failure etc) you can be in trouble quickly
Thanks for the heads up, Sam. Since you put it that way, I will bring the CPAP regardless. I still can't commit 100% to the trip but I really want to come.
I can get thru a night without it, but I dont get the rest I need, plus as a strange side effect, without it I have serial nightmares all night.
The CPAP insures I sleep thru the night uninterrupted. The easy cure is to lose 20-30 lbs...easier said than done

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Except for the space and weight a tiney honda , or yamaha generator will take care of your CPAP unit I traveled with a good friend who was pulling a tent tailer and had his unit with him , he used it every night and the generaor was not abusiv with noise,Agreed that no hitch is yet availible for NT at a reasonable cost factor.

Eldon

Did any of the group from last year stay in a motel in Spearfish? I have no camping gear and probably don't plan to have camping gear, so how did this work for those that weren't camping?

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Be aware of some potential health risks of high altitudes. There is 21% less oxygen available to breath at 7,000 feet and this can adversley affect some people with decreased breathing abilities. especially if you are not acclimated to it.
Spearfish is at app. 4,000 feet. Not nearly as bad as at 7,000 feet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Did any of the group from last year stay in a motel in Spearfish? I have no camping gear and probably don't plan to have camping gear, so how did this work for those that weren't camping?

Terry
Chuck Henderson ("Chucksklrst" on the Forum) did. His camping gear consists of a credit card. There are several motels within a few blocks. As far as I could tell, he had a good time. He's been to ST/NT-OC's various rallies for a long time and has always (as far as I know) "camped" in motels.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks for the heads up, Sam. Since you put it that way, I will bring the CPAP regardless. I still can't commit 100% to the trip but I really want to come.
I can get thru a night without it, but I dont get the rest I need, plus as a strange side effect, without it I have serial nightmares all night.
The CPAP insures I sleep thru the night uninterrupted. The easy cure is to lose 20-30 lbs...easier said than done
I'm pretty sure bigmak96 (Mark) from the ST-Owners site will be there and he always brings his trailer and cpap machine. Perhaps you two can split a regular RV site and cut expenses a little.

The campground is where everything is happening ;)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am wondering how much power a CPAP consumes. There are plenty of small 12V Inverters on the market that will give you 120VAC. A smallish Gel-Cell battery and charger can do the trick. During the day, the battery can charge at a friendly campsite with power.

bicyclist

There's a bunch of good info on the net about camping with CPAP machines. A fair number of motorcyclists do it since the demographic is aging. Some guys use a battery and inverter setup and some have machines that use DC and can run off a battery. Others carry a long extension cord. The question frequently seen on the ADV forum is whether they'll run off the bike's battery all night and still allow the bike to be started in the morning. Several guys have answered in the affirmative.

It would be a good idea to decide what might work and then try it in your back yard before making the trip. I've set up camp at home a number of times to be sure my planned methods or equipment work before I head out.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Sorry I am late to this thread. I was not following it very closely.

There is a nice little mom and pop motel called the Bell Motel. That is were I have stayed with my ST buddies, when I was at the 2010 NatSTOC. Nice older place. About 50 to 60 bucks per night. Best to go half's with someone.

In 2011 I camped at the camp ground and in 2012, last year, I started at the camp ground and then had an "equipment failure". After sleeping ON THE Ground for a night I moved over to the Bell Motel

My plan this year is to bring MY CAMP GEAR to include my Self Inflating Sleeping Pad and try out the camping again. Will not use an blow up air mattress this time.

To respond to Phil. Yes Phil I do camp occasionally and here are a couple of pics to prove it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck Henderson ("Chucksklrst" on the Forum) did. His camping gear consists of a credit card. There are several motels within a few blocks. As far as I could tell, he had a good time. He's been to ST/NT-OC's various rallies for a long time and has always (as far as I know) "camped" in motels.
I you stay at the Bell Motel, the camp ground is only about 1.5 miles away. Bring yourself a folding chair and hang out with everyone at the camp ground during the day when not riding. Yes the chair can be a bit bulky but a cheap Wally World chair makes the event alot more enjoyable. And you can donate it to the camp ground when you leave if you don't want to carry it home. Phil has spent the big bucks on a Kermit Chair. It really packs down nice.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chuck, I'd forgotten that you started with us last year. Had you brought the self-deflating sleeping pad? And maybe I'm misremembering again, but I had thought it was you who had posted a picture of a master card and said "this is my camping gear."

The camp ground folks will be happy to have any motel folks hang around as much as they want.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I'd forgotten that you started with us last year. Had you brought the self-deflating sleeping pad? And maybe I'm misremembering again, but I had thought it was you who had posted a picture of a master card and said "this is my camping gear."

The camp ground folks will be happy to have any motel folks hang around as much as they want.
Yes I brought a Self DEflating air mattress. Yes I also posted the plactic camping gear picture. Here is another pic of proof that I camped. Wish I still had that camping gear.

Top Bottom