What is involved in installing the Vibranators?

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I am ready to try a set of Vibranators to help with the buzziness I still am dealing with.
I see in the parts listing, several pieces inside the handle bar, and I am confused as to just what
has to be removed to install the Vibranators?
Does anybody with experience have a quick how- to explanation before I mess something up?
Does more than just loosening the end screw enough to pull out the end, have to be done?
I have 10,000 miles on the bike, and have the rubber mounted Rox Risers, 1" up and 1" back.
(I used the original clutch cable for about 8,000 miles, watching it carefully, until late last Fall when
I noticed the cable just starting to come apart and installed the longer Trans Am cable as I should have
to start with)
I have the foam grips, but I have not had the valves adjusted as my tech believes it is probably not necessary and wouldn't
help. .
I evidently have one of the "buzzer bikes", as it still is uncomfortable after a short time at highway speeds. It is great for
riding to work, as I am on roads where speed changes constantly, but I have to keep trying to get the buzziness down
if I am going to be able to keep the NT. I am aware that a slight stroke suffered a few years ago may be making me |
notice the buzz more and make it more unconfortable.
This is the only thing I find a problem with this great bike. .
Thank you for any help.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dannyjo, I don't know anything about the Vibranators, but I would suggest that you check the valve adjustment. My observation has been that the adjustment changes more early on than later as more and more miles pile up. If you haven't checked yours since the 600-mile check, I'd say it's time.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
As one who notices the buzzz...not much you can do about it. It can bemade a little less, but not by much.

Get a throttle lock (even better a cruise control) and don't wrapmyour hands around the grips. Move hands frequently. I have to do the same with my Guzzi and brother has had to do the same with both his little and big GS bikes.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You have to remove the internal handlebar weight. Its tricky to do due to a tab that locks it to the bars. You might want to search the list to see how its done.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I too was bothered by vibration at the grips and even after 10,000 miles it still bothered me. I tried 1" up risers, then 1" up/1"back risers to no avail. The solution and a longshot at the time was fitted Rox risers with rubber dampers which are really made for large ADV bikes and not for sport touring. They not only got weight off my hands but also provided a tunable medium between my hands and the engine vibration. You can induce movement in the bars at rest but when you're riding, you never feel any sort of looseness.

It was an expensive solution because it required new cables and a brake hose but if I had to do it over again, I'd still buy the Rox Risers/w dampers. It only took a short ride after the conversion to know I'd found the solution!

ps. Although they're advertised as "2" rise, in reality the height is 2-3/8."

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
He already has the rubber mounted ROX risers.

I had forgotten about gloves. I also found that gel padded gloves do work well. Those listed above might work better. I have gel padded gloves and gel grips. I found the foam ones didn't help as much as the gel because I had to grip them harder to keep from slipping so it partially negated the benefit of the foam. But, when the throttle was locked the foam was better.

Right now I use Mechanix type work gloves made for vibrating machinery. They have a good gel insert.

If you are like me none of these will really solve the problem. Your hands will still go numb. The idea is to just delay it a bit. I am to the point where I can go about 20 min at a stretch before I have to move my hands.

Yes, others are not as sensitive to it. I have a combination of low circulation in my hands as well as a shoulder surgery that aggravate the problem (and many years of playing baseball and those injuries). I can't leave my arms in any postion very long without having my hands go numb, especially my right hand. Some positions are worse than others.

So, my suggestiong to someone chasing this problem is, 1) get a cruise control (throttle lock is distant second cousin) and 2) good grips/gloves.

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
Dannyjo,
I came to NT from very smooth st11&1300 engine/bike platform. I attacked the buzz by installing Helibars risers, larger bar ends(greater vibration at4500-5000 rpm), larger sized gloves with gel inserts and finally installed Vibranator. The vibrations were reduced by 60%-75% at 4.5-5.25k range. Last summer I did several 500mile days without numbness or tingling hands. After removal of bar ends which is tricky due to the fact that tabs are under the plastic tubes, minor effort is required in fitting the rubber expanders that interfere and disrupts the rhythm of handlebar vibration.
Good luck and let us know what you end up.
John

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Although he said "rubber mounted" he also said "1" up and 1" back" which sounds like a SW-moto, metal-to-metal riser to me so some of his facts are confusing.

So DannyJo, do you really have Rox risers/w rubber dampers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Although he said "rubber mounted" he also said "1" up and 1" back" which sounds like a SW-moto, metal-to-metal riser to me so some of his facts are confusing.

So DannyJo, do you really have Rox risers/w rubber dampers?
Yes, the rubber mounted ones, and they helped some, but at 60-70 MPH the high frequency vibes are still a problem. Last Fall, I loosened the bolts clamping the rubber a little, hoping that might help, but didn't.
I kept hoping by 10,000 miles, it would smooth out. I still really like the bike, but for my short ride to work it is great.....I get discouraged when I go for a few hours, though. I get about 100 miles out and I start wishing I was on my '88 Vmax. Except its Corbin seat is a long distance killer. I'm going to get and Air Ride pad for it this Spring.

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I am thinking my next step is to have the valves adjusted for the first time. I am so reluctant, as no dealership around me has any experience working on the NT, and I have nightmares of having body work damaged and leaking valve cover gaskets after having it done. She runs and starts so good, and no leaks, except for that buzz.
Every dealer around me for 100 miles sold only 1 NT , and did not reorder. They must have all sold out of the area, as I have yet to see one since 2010, or even hear of anyone who knows someone with one. The nearest showing on our owner's map is over 150 miles away. So I have yet to find a mechanic who has ever touched an NT.
Thanks for the suggestions and let's have some warm weather soon!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I guess the question is do you have anymore experience? For a dealership with tools and a lift I don't think the valves on the NT should present much of a problem.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
dannyjo, the NT isn't really a mystery to any Honda mechanic with a few year's experience. The engine is related to Shadows that have been made for years and Honda bodywork shouldn't be much of an issue either. And, heck, all of them have had loads of experience with the DN-01! Same engine and even more complex plastic. :)

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Yes, you are right.....I should have more faith in the techs at the dealerships.
Maybe being the Warranty Administrator at a pretty large John Deere dealership makes me a little worried about who touches my bikes.
(And that thought should make all you Deere equipment owners have a cold chill run down your spine.)
The things I've had to explain over the last 19 years!!..... To both customers and Deere Warranty Claims adjusters.
But I've only seen one DN-01 in the nearest 5 Honda dealers. This is big cruiser or motocross bike country. And our small towns pass laws that you can drive golf carts and UTV's on the town streets. Keeps you from running over guys on mowers pulling their wife in a garden cart to the grocery store. (I actually have a photo of this here in little Albion, IL.)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Since I've only seen two DN-01s, I don't think they really expand the experience base. I was kidding.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only thing really new is the bodywork. The engine has been around forever. If I was really worried about it I would tell the dealer that I would remove and replace the necessary bodywork. Of course, by then you could spend a few more minutes and do the whole job.

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Being a n00b, I've been told by several experienced riders around here that it's all in my technique... I've tried various positions, grips, gloves and found that technique accounts for about 50% of my numbness. The vibrations hit the nerves in the hand and this causes for me as a new rider. In the interim I've found a clip-on $5 throttle grip paddle works as a great cruise control and lessons the discomfort as well as padded gloves. That being said, it's still there. What helped in my personal technique was the superior grip that the heated handlebars happened to offer... I can hold the grips more loosely (like gently holding eggs per my instructions) and that helps a lot too. Alternating between that and the use of the $5 clip on throttle paddle allows me to get by.

However since the heated grips offer less padding (and you can't really install padding over them easily), in the summer/warmer months I feel the vibrations more due to not using padded winter gloves. Now I'm thinking about getting specially designed motorcycle gloves for people with Carpal Tunnel to see if this helps. Namely, Qwi Gloves. Check out the link as these have padding designed to go around the nerves in the hand. While they don't offer a lot of "knuckle protection", I might be willing to forgo that in lieu of being able to feel my hands and read the road better through feeling.

Edit: Looks like Qwi may not be in business much. As an alternative, here are some Gel Motorsports gloves from Olympia Gloves, and Shock-Tek Carpal Motorcyclist Gloves.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
However since the heated grips offer less padding (and you can't really install padding over them easily)
Gabe,

I fitted Grab On? Grip Covers over my Honda heated grips without any serious problems and they worked very well for me. You can read more Here.

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Awesome, thanks Wayne - I will try a set!

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
First I've heard of this vibranator, does anyone know if these will work with the throttlemeister throttle lock, or do I have to change out bar end weighs? If I have to choose, I'll keep the throttle lock.

Top Bottom