What is pre-load?

Cnille

I just read the post about weight and two-up and realized I don't know what will happen if I change the preload setting. When I got the bike I liked the way it rode and so I didn't change anything, but what will happen if I increase the pre-load, and how much do I need to increase it to see a difference? The same goes for decreasing the pre-load.

Seconded... My other bikes are/ have been manually adjustable on the rear springs... I have no clue on how to dial in or what the effect may be! Thoughts? I only ride solo, about 170lbs...easy enough riding , nothing too too crazy or demanding.

The rear shock has a fixed travel length, dictated by the shock. Motorcycles are fairly light and the weight of the rider is the major load carried by that shock. So, most mfg's have provided for that variable load, rider and additional rider and other load.

If it were not adjustable then when you add a passenger (or any other large load) the spring will quickly hit the limits and you are left with a "hard tail" bike.

You adjust the preload so that you don't bottom the suspension on a big bump. At that setting you have the most suspension travel.

It is a trial and error process. Set it less and less until you feel the suspension bottom out, then increase a notch or two. When you add a large load or passenger, crank it up a bit.

charlie

I've come from sports bikes so I've hardened the pre-load.

In theory, you should also change the pre-load according to the weather - Wet surface or dry surface. Back it off a notch or two in the wet (softer); Up it a notch or two for the dry (harder).

The last part is the shock itself. The shock is designed to damp out the 'bounces' When you have a heavy load the shock doesn't do that as well so you will feel a bit more bouncy, no matter what you do to the preload.

As for hazards. On a bike like this setting the preload too high is just as bad as too soft. It may feel better because it is harsh riding but, it is not unless you are on a smooth road.

Back
Top Bottom