What now for Victory?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
With the apparent successful introduction of Indian now behind them, what do you suppose Polaris has planned for the Victory brand? Victory after all was designed to go head to head in the market with HD but never quite caught fire the way they expected. They are competent bikes and well liked by the press but they didn't "move the soul" as the HD brand does. In an attempt to "move the soul" of more buyers, the Indian brand was purchased and resurrected to the unanimous acclaim of the motorsport press. Perhaps now HD will have a viable US competitor... time will tell. But, where does that leave Victory? The Victory's compete for the same buyer as HD and now Indian so that market is even more diluted. Do you think the folks at Polaris will go out on a limb and recreate the Victory brand as a competitor the Asian/European bikes? My best guess is yes, or allow Victory to fade off into the sunset. Your thoughts?

Mike

tawilke46

That same thought crossed my mind when I saw the launch for the Indian by Polaris. You have a good point Mike about what direction Polaris may now be taking with the Victory brand. If they choose to make Indian the main competitor to HD, they would eventually have to expand their lineup. After they test the market with the new Indians........

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
What happens to the Victory brand all depends on how successful the Indian brand becomes. I would not plan on Victory's demise quite yet.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with Sam when it comes to after purchase followup by Harley Davidson. I bought my NT new at a H-D, Honda Dealership. I get invited to all their get togethers, get a birthday card, Chistmas card, Harley catalogs--the whole nine yards. We Honda owners are always welcome and are accepted by the Harley riders. At our dealership there is no distinction. The PR stuff is pure H-D--and that's fine. At some point H-D will come up with a sport tourer under one liter displacement. I would certainly consider one. The only reason that I don't have a Harley is that the upright foot forwarf position kills my back and that the bike is too big. H-D gloves, boots, and Jackets are great. Their jeans are outstanding.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I must agree with Sam & alex regarding Hd & Hondacomparisons, although for me I get very good treatment by my Honda dealer, I am a know person there and have been for many yearslike back to 1960 aquaintence with the owner, But everyone in the facility knows me and greets me whenever I walk in, and I do get Birthday ,Christmas , and Thanksgiving cards Usurally with a ten or twenty dollar gift certificate included. granted this is not a part of Mother Hondas doing, it is strictly the dealership and long term customer status. LOL I have had more than one employee say You know The boss really thinks well of you! There are not very many that get treated this way. Well I suppose this is true, but the man and I go back to 1960! Not to many customers left around that shop with that much senority any more, only about three that I can thinkof that are still riding.

I do agree that HD takes real good care of their customers , particularly those who have purchased from them, I get treated well at the local HD facility as I have bought parts , and had some work done, but I am more comfortable at the Honda shop. I imagine one day not to far away I will find the Honda shop sold , and maybe completely gone, when that happens I will probablyend up with Harley, or Harleys.

Eldon

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
If I bought a Victory it would be a Vision Tour. An Indian would be a vintage in Springfield blue. Two very different bikes. A wee Strom calls louder than both to me at this point. Then I could win the lottery.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's difficult to predict all the what ifs between Victory and Indian. Initially I thought the new Indians would be aimed at the high-end of the price scale but many (all?) of their prices are competitive with Harley plus they have the advantage of an brand-new engine, unlike Harley with its many vestiges from the mid-1930s. Conversely, Harley has an enviable record with customer loyalty and an immense following that is the envy of all so it'd be tough to unseat them.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Victory can just keep doing what they're doing, no need to change that.

If I were to get a big cruiser, it would be a victory...their style is unique, absolutely the best looking cruisers on the road.

Top Bottom