What to do, What to do????

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So I rode down to the Springs today with the ST700 and stopped at the German Bakery (bought some German Bread) then went over to Apex Sports for some free coffee. They had on a beautiful blue 2005 FJR with only 3500 miles. Very tempting. I though very seriously about trading my ST700 right then and there. STill thinking very strongly about it. What does the Forum Group say? All in all a great 200 mile ride today.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
With ethanol these days, I'd stay away from an almost 10 year old bike that probably has had some fuel sitting in it's tank for a while...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am not an FJR expert, but wasn't it the pre-2006 years that could get really warm on the leg or legs? I remember something about a minor adjustment in plastic at some point that made it cooler for the rider. They didn't change the bike much that year just the tweak. I could be all wrong though. Love the newest FJR. That Blue is my favorite color too!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Why do you need both an ST1300 and a FJR1300 ? Trade in the ST1300 and keep the ST700.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
What Kevin said above.

FJR is a great bike. In your case it would be easier to give up the NT since you have a Wee. But if you have a DR maybe you should trade in the Wee - or trade in the ST. Or you could hold out for the Yamaha triple to come on line. Such a problem. But no one who is married should have to decide anything, because we always get it wrong anyway. Good luck. It is a bunch of fun any way you do it.

Maybe we should just learn to stay out of motorcycle stores.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Why do you need both an ST1300 and a FJR1300 ? Trade in the ST1300 and keep the ST700.
Not about Need any more. Too old for that. I am at the stage that is about Want. And that is what makes it so confusing. If I had a more room in the garage..........................well as junglejim has said "we should just learn to stay out of motorcycle stores":shrug2::rolleyes::wink:

skiper

Hey - Wait - stop a minute , what are we all gonna do if your not teaching us how to fix our NT's ? Switch the 1300 for FJR - no ? Last night i watched Kevin Duke review it and he thought it was Great , lighter and more acceleration and newer gizmos .. Maybe you should sit down with some nice
German Toast and make a pro-con list and wait three days .. :)

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I think they were asking somewhere in the neighborhood of $6900. But Asking and getting are always two different things.

Chuck, I had an 05 fjr put a little over 100,000 miles on it and it performed flawlessly. The heat was never an issue for me as I wore ATGATT when I rode it. The only reason I got rid of it was I fell in lust with the Super Tenere.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It's all about want now and not need.. LOL.. I don't remember it ever being about need.. LOL

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hey - Wait - stop a minute , . Maybe you should sit down with some nice
German Toast and make a pro-con list and wait three days .. :)
If I get rid of the ST1300, it will be for a new 2014 FJR. And then both the NT and the ST will go away. If I spring for this 05 FJR the NT will go away and I have to make up my mind by Sat. as I am leaving for Texas on Monday. So it is going to have to be a quick piece of German toast and a short two day wait.:wink:

Last edited:

bicyclist

Yeah, why do you want a 10 year old boat anchor when you can have the new and vastly improved model?

bicyclist

Yeah! Look, yer retired. Yer set for life. Climb down off some of that pile and get the latest and greatest while you have the chance!:rofl1:

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yeah! Look, yer retired. Yer set for life. Climb down off some of that pile and get the latest and greatest while you have the chance!:rofl1:
Anybody heard of FIXed Income. :tongue::rolleyes1:STill hoping Honda will up grade the ST1300 or put a 4 cylinder engine in the NT:rofl1:

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck,

I'm looking at 2 FJR's - both are '07 models - one has 26,000 miles and pampered - the other has 32,000 miles and in good condition and both are less in price than that '05. The Gen II models began in '06 and dealt w/ the heat issue.
Stopped by a m/c shop today to get a wholesale price on my NT - too low. Hope to get a buyer soon so I can get the FJR.
Assume that you're heading to RanchSTOC here in Tejas???
Yep see my post "Headed to Texas" Believe it or not, I really do like my NT.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
If I were lucky enough to be in your situation, I think I would have to trade in the Honda's for the brand, spankin' NEW 2014 FJR!!

Good luck with your decision, but really, I don't think you can go wrong. Trade in one bike for the FJR - nice upgrade; Trade in both Honda's for new FJR - great!; Maintain the current stable you're happy with - cool!

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
FWIW, when I started thinking about making the move from the NT to the FJR I had the opportunity to buy an '06 for 6,500. It had a number of miles (~60,000) on it, but it was well-farkled and 60K miles is not a big deal on these bikes.

But I went for a new '13 instead, given the fact that they were being discounted AND had a couple more factory goodies (Cruise Control, heated handgrips, more tunable throttle response) AND kind of looked cooler. They also found a bit more HP and torque over the previous models.

BTW, these new Gen III ('13 and '14) bikes have a settable throttle response feature: (S)port vs. (T)ouring. The Sport is really twitchy in the initial throttle rotations, whereas the Touring actually, in the first 10-20 degrees, kind of feels like the NT. But give it more rotation and let the revs pick up past 4K and it's distinctly non-NT.

I haven't really confirmed this, but I think newer FJR model years have an inhibition on max HP in the lower gears (remember, certainly on Gen III, throttle actions are really requests to the "engine room"), to keep from inadvertently wheelies and such things (my ST1300's would do this - scary for this old guy and excessively interesting to any LEO's that may be lurking about).

Oh - smoooooth engine, given it's a 4 cylinder.

Top Bottom