Wheel Bearings

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I pulled the front wheel off of my NT this morning in order to pull the forks for a seal and bushing replacement. Out of habit I stuck my finger in the axle hole to see how the bearings spun and found that the left bearing feels like it has gravel in it instead of balls. A new set of All Balls is on the way. I had noticed some increased vibration and some shake in the bars but attributed it to the weeping fork seal.

I don't think I mentioned it on the forum, but last year I had to replace the rear wheel bearings after noticing a rumbling noise and vibration through the seat on deceleration.

If you are noticing some increased vibes when riding the bearings may be worth checking. While you're at it you can replace the moly on the drive splines.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got All Balls head bearings that have gone 80K miles now. They make good bearings!

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I pulled the front wheel off of my NT this morning in order to pull the forks for a seal and bushing replacement. Out of habit I stuck my finger in the axle hole to see how the bearings spun and found that the left bearing feels like it has gravel in it instead of balls. A new set of All Balls is on the way. I had noticed some increased vibration and some shake in the bars but attributed it to the weeping fork seal.

I don't think I mentioned it on the forum, but last year I had to replace the rear wheel bearings after noticing a rumbling noise and vibration through the seat on deceleration.

If you are noticing some increased vibes when riding the bearings may be worth checking. While you're at it you can replace the moly on the drive splines.
How many miles are on your NT?

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I'm one of the low mileage guys... only 32,000. I did the rear bearings at about 28,000 miles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I replaced head bearings at 54K, front wheel bearings at 88K, rear wheel bearings at 96K miles.

Top Bottom