Wheel cleaning tips

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I try to keep my bike pretty clean. Not as clean as Soundtech Guy, but pretty clean. My question to all is for cleaning tips on the wheels. The smooth part of the rim on the side and outermost area is easy enough; but the textured area on the inside, plus the spokes of the wheel itself is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I dont want to get too aggressive and damage the finish. I've been using a soft toothbrush with my usual carwash. I know it helps but I think I can get this area cleaner. Short of spraying chain cleaner (just kidding) is there anything else that works that won't compromise the finish?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I use bottle brushes, the first one is basically a tube of foam rubber glued on a handle for the soft stuff, the second has a round head with soft bristles for the harder to remove gunk.... Between the two I can remove most "stuff" off the wheels with very little effort. I also always do the wheel last after rinsing them off a couple of times and then spraying the persistent gunk with S100 Wheel Cleaner and letting it soak a bit while washing the rest of the bike...

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Simple Green and a stiff detail brush works well, soak it first before washing and just before your brush on it. I'm glad its not like my Ninja and have to deal with chain lube all all over it(hooray for shaft drive!!).

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I use diluted simple green and a med paint brush. Brush on, work it in, let sit, then rise off. Works reasonable well and does not tear up the painted finish.

bicyclist

Somebody posted on the ADV forum about using Pine-Sol to clean funky old motorcycle parts and getting great results. So I got some and found that it works as well as described. Then I saw a report about a Consumer Reports test of all the popular cleaners in which they found that none was as good as old fashioned Pine-Sol. So, if you don't mind your bike smelling like a hospital (or men's latrine), it's worth a try. Wear gloves, if used full strength, it'll take all the oil out of your skin.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for that tip, George! I wouldn't have thought of Pine-Sol.

Just a reminder that Simple Green is one of the most powerful detergents I have ever encountered and can really do a number on grease i.e. bearings so carerful how you use it.

Top Bottom