where are the wear bars on my PR3?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Where are the wear indicators on my rear PR3?????????????
Good question. I relied on what I thought they were (the small circular cut outs at the end of the smallish tread cuts). There was plenty of depth in them when the chords started showing in the center of the tire just shy of 12k on the rear.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I never got close to them on my first PR3 rear, but I should have taken pictures of them on the front. It had them all showing when I replaced the tire at 17,225 miles.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
The wear bars on the rear are a moot point, I just realized. There is a 6" gash down the dead center of my rear, which is pretty much worn out at 7700 miles.
I can't tell if it is a result of some trauma or a tire failure, but I can see cords just below the surface
It almost looks lke the tire was torn a little and then started splitting

I'm pretty frustrated. I don't feel like I ride that hard, but the middle of the tire is dead smooth at 7,700. If you shine a light on it, you can still see a hint of the middlemost sipes, but they are gone
I feel good about the front, so I am going to buy something less expensive than a PR3 to get me to the next full set
I'm thinking about even buying a sub $100 Shinko...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The wear bars on the rear are a moot point, I just realized. There is a 6" gash down the dead center of my rear, which is pretty much worn out at 7700 miles.
I can't tell if it is a result of some trauma or a tire failure, but I can see cords just below the surface
It almost looks lke the tire was torn a little and then started splitting

I'm pretty frustrated. I don't feel like I ride that hard, but the middle of the tire is dead smooth at 7,700. If you shine a light on it, you can still see a hint of the middlemost sipes, but they are gone
I feel good about the front, so I am going to buy something less expensive than a PR3 to get me to the next full set
I'm thinking about even buying a sub $100 Shinko...
I have heard good things about the Shinko sport touring tires. A friend of mine ran them on his FJR and got very good milage and was quite pleased with them.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Most tires I remember have markers, usually pointers or triangles on the sidewall that point to wear bars but I don't see any on my PR3's.
I just found a nail in my rear tire last weekend so it's life is limited. It is plugged for now.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
RedNigel,

What PSI are you running, and do you do mostly straight highway miles? I only have 4K on my PR3s but they seem to be wearing very well and evenly. In fact I was looking at them last weekend and amazed that they hardly show any wear at all in 4K. I try to make sure I am running 36psi Front, and 42 rear. I check the tire pressure about once a week or before a long ride. I have been impressed that they rarely need air added.

The stock tires were shot at 6200 Miles and my rear was really squared off from all the highway mileage.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
What PSI are you running, and do you do mostly straight highway miles
I run my tires at 36/42 and check them regularly
Rear worn completely out at 7,700 miles

And like 95% of us, 90% of my riding is straight

I have a feeling these people who are getting phenomenal longevity from their tires are short shifting and cruising around at
4000 RPMs
Not bashing anyone who's getting great mileage...just speculating
I shift up between 4-5K RPMs and cruise at or above 4750 RPMs...I am not a harsh downshifter and I am easy on my brakes
All I can think of is the chipsealed Farm to Market roads in TX combined with 70+mph travel over great distances on superslab
After hearing the praises of the PR3, I am profoundly disappointed
I can't afford to buy tires twice a year...at least not top shelf ones
I am going to try a BT023 on the back to finish out the life of the Michelin up front...see how far the Bridgestone gets

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR

All I can think of is the chipsealed Farm to Market roads in TX combined with 70+mph travel over great distances on superslab
And summer heat.

There is alway the Metzeler ME880 Rear Tire. It is a hard tire (ask Phil) and being there are no turns/curves in North Texas:) this tire should work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I got about 12K out of the ME-880. The rear is a bias-ply tire and it was OK. The PR3 sure felt better when I moved to it. I got about 8000 out of a rear BT-023 and had about 6K on a rear PR3 when I punctured it and replaced it with a RoadSmart 2. The Roadsmart got squared off pretty quickly. The only rears I've worn out so far are the Metzler and the BT-020 (which was toast at 6K miles.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS

I have a feeling these people who are getting phenomenal longevity from their tires are short shifting and cruising around at
4000 RPMs
Not bashing anyone who's getting great mileage...just speculating
I shift up between 4-5K RPMs and cruise at or above 4750 RPMs...I am not a harsh downshifter and I am easy on my brakes
After hearing the praises of the PR3, I am profoundly disappointed
I can't afford to buy tires twice a year...at least not top shelf ones
I am going to try a BT023 on the back to finish out the life of the Michelin up front...see how far the Bridgestone gets
Sorry to hear about your less than outstanding experience with the PR3's. My riding habits and environment mirror yours so I'm a bit surprised. Lets us know how the 23's work out for you.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Your roads paved with sandpaper and the high temperatures you have eat up tires. My tires last a lot longer when I ride on cooler pavement. I've measured my tread depth and the summer trips show a measurable difference before and after a trip. The spring and fall trips are hard to measure a difference.

I, too, hear good things about Shinko tires. More towards value than quality.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Dont get me wrong; The Michelins are awesome with regards to riding. But after hearing some of the mileage claims people have made, I just assumed I would surpass the 10K mark with the rear
Anyway, the BT023 is already on the way and the front PR3 should last another 6-8K ( I hope)

Bike
Silver NT700V
Red,

I am on my second set of BT023s. The first set got me about 16K. I ruined them running over debris in the road. The second set now has about 13K. Most of my miles are commuter service on concrete roads and a good amount of Interstate. Abrasive roads may be part of the equation for you. On a long trip, say 500 mile day, I will cruise in the 70 -75 mph range, say 5K to 5.5K rpm.

Hopefully the BT023 will work for you too. I found it a good tire at a reasonable price point.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One plus for the BT-023 is that my Honda Dealer (Sun in Denver) always has a sale price on BT-023s that comes very, very close to matching the lowest price I can find on the internet.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Maxim Honda, our local mega Honda dealer now offers a service called TireMax...'Our tire prices are below internet prices, plus you dont pay for shipping...AND we have reduced labor rates!'

I called, hoping maybe to save some time
All their prices were about $20 higher than the highest internet price
I told the guy "I'm not trying to call you out or be a jerk, but your ad says you are lower than the online sites, and I can get any of those tires DELIVERED for about $20-$30 less from an online source"
He didnt even ask me what the online stores were charging
He just replied, "well, you better buy that tire online!"

Top Bottom