Where do you get your routes?

Bike
2010 NT700V
I just received my Garmin Zumo 665 this week and it advertised custom routes via purchase http://www.garmin.com/us/extras/downloads/madmaps . Its not just for my ridiculously expensive GPS, they sell map routes for your phone too. https://www.madmaps.com/ The custom map routes sell for $9 and $12. And after dropping $800 on 665, the extra $20 for Sturgies rally map and my Eastern MT, ND, SD, and Wyoming custom routes doesn't hurt so bad.

But anyways, I would like to hear from my NT-Family where and how do you pick or plan your routes?

I use a set of paper Madmaps, H-D Annual Atlas / Tour Guide, MotorcycleRoads website, and local word of mouth....

BTW keep us posted on how you like the 665, I'm getting ready to bite that bullet...:D

I too am interested in the 665. Let us know where you install it... also I'm particular interested in the XM Radio and weather radar features.... some pix please!

Mike

I typically plan around scenic byways and state/nat'l parks. I pick a starting and ending point and then play w/garmin software to find the most twisty route, usually find some cool less-travelled roads that way.

When going to a new area I ask around. This forum is OK, but, the GUzzi forum has several thousand members and several hundred are active, ie, daily, contributors. I just ask in there and get a number of good recommendations for an area. Sometimes even an offer of a 'buddy' ride and/or lunch/supper/beer. :)

I look at paper maps and then play with Microsoft Streets and Trips. The route I pick depends on whether or not I need to get somewhere in the quickest possible time or have time to explore. I usually try to go somewhere by riding on roads I've never ridden on before and sometimes try to connect them with roads I have driven but never ridden. From Texas and west there are lots of those. East of Texas, Kansas, and Nebraska, there are even more unridden roads.

You can also make your own routes on Mapquest and save them to your Garmin if its connected to the PC.

I guess I'm just kind of old fashioned, I look at paper maps a bit, MadMaps, and sometimes tour guides. I listen to what other folks say on the forums. I don't take a lot of long trips so I'm pretty safe. However, that said, when I do go a ways, I plan in detail before I leave and then remember the line from the movie "Battle Cry" when the General has the landing and battle books spread out, and says something about all the good plans in the world go out the window when the first shot is fired. Plan well, it gives you direction but you have to be flexible.:cool:

I typically plan around scenic byways and state/nat'l parks. I pick a starting and ending point and then play w/garmin software to find the most twisty route, usually find some cool less-travelled roads that way.

I like to use a similar method to Mellow, however I'll get online on google maps and you can actually get a photo look at the roads to see if you want to take it or not. Found some this way that looked great even though they were back roads. Have also looked at a few, that I had planned to take, and then changed my mind after viewing fairly recent photos from google maps. Just another aid to your trip.

DJ

I use mostly MAPs (the paper kind). As long as I have my Zumo, I can't get lost!
Sometime I will plot a route on a map and then put intermediate destinations in the Zumo as I go along. I like to have flexibility in how I get to where ever I am going.
Chances are it will not be how I planned it out.

If I have a destination in mind I just let my Zumo plan the route. I have it set to avoid expressways so I am usually happy with the route it selects. If I am just out wandering around with no destination in mind then I let my paper maps give me a general idea of the direction I might want to take and then I use the Zumo to get me home. I have only programed a couple of routes into the Zumo.

For my local rides I use to use all the above but that got redundant. Lately I have been riding with no destination in mind. I try to pick back country roads and just try to get lost. Usually I will recognize a road and head back. In rare occasions I just hit "go home" on the Garmin and let it guide me back.

For my local rides I use to use all the above but that got redundant. Lately I have been riding with no destination in mind. I try to pick back country roads and just try to get lost. Usually I will recognize a road and head back. In rare occasions I just hit "go home" on the Garmin and let it guide me back.

that's fun to do, too. i have done the same many times. just ride all over, wherever for a couple hours and then just hit go home until you recognize a road. i'm severely directionally challenged, so the advent of the gps was a godsend (especially back when i was traveling all over the country for work).

with no sense of direction, i just memorize point to point routes, i rarely "learn" the roads. letting myself get lost on purpose has been a great way to learn the roads more, and make connections in my mind of where memorized routes are relative to other ones. for example: oh, this road comes out to here? i know this is the one to get to x, y, or z. now i know of another way to get there.

the downside to the gps, is that from using it all the time, i depend on it almost completely. i'm not sure which is worse, my innate lack of location awareness - or how much is perpetuated by relying on having gps technology at my disposal at all times.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or conceited, but I am blessed with an usually accurate sense of location, route, and destination. I can navigate across large tracts of unfamiliar territory with no maps, paper or electronic and end up where I want to be. Plus, I rarely forget a road or even corners and turns. If I've ridden a road before, I'm not often surprised by a corner (although the only wreck I've had happened one night when a corner I'd ridden several times felt way too fast to me).

I've found places I haven't been to since I was in kindergarten and grade school in the last few years. But I never remember highway numbers or street names. It's the actual physical connections, the angle of the corner, the elevation changes, etc., that give me my bearings.

I have not been everywhere, but I've been a lot of places and when I'm in one place, I can visualize how it connects to the places I've been, whether those are a few miles away or several hundred miles away.

When I "plan" my trips, I use a combination of paper maps, MS Streets and Trips, and that sense of where things are and how they connect. Unless I have a destination and a timetable I need to keep, I try to "fill in the gaps" by taking roads I haven't taken before.

On a trip, I usually plan a rudimentary route in the GPS, but then I'm free to deviate and often do.

Chris, you'll notice that I didn't say that I never take a turn that brings me to a dead end or a recalculation of my routing. But that's part of the adventure.

When I was in Casper in the early 80s, my best friend and I would explore in the mountains. He'd drive his company Blazer (the big one from those days), and I'd navigate. He had his Airline Transport Pilot rating and many hours of flying time, but he never knew where he was in the mountains. I always did.

There was one slight difugilty though. I don't know whether it's because I'm left-handed or not, but my brain is hard-wired to give the wrong direction when I say turn left or right. It got to the point where if I said, "Turn left," Steve would automatically turn right. I can give directions but if you want them to be comprehensible, be sure I say turn North or turn East instead of left or right.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or conceited, but I am blessed with an usually accurate sense of location, route, and destination.

Congratulations. You may be one of the 30% or so of all men who can locate north with a fair degree of accuracy inside a closed room with no windows. If I have sun or stars, I'm OK. Otherwise, I must pay close attention.

I think it is a throwback to our caveman/hunter days. Women generally cannot do this.

There is a name for this kind of memory/orientation ability. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is. :)

Back
Top Bottom