Which CB To Buy?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm considering purchasing a CB radio for use in my Ford Expedition during some upcoming long winter trips. But I haven't had a CB, except for the OEM one on my Tri-Glide I didn't use, for a loooong time. As in waaay back when there were only 23 Channels! :eek1: :rolleyes1: Is Cobra still "the brand" when it comes to a CB? I'm looking at the Cobra Model 29 WX NW ST as I want the NOAA capability. Between NOAA alerts and the near real time Weather Maps I already have in my OEM navigation system I shouldn't get too surprised in inclement weather. Any recommendations or suggestions on the different radios, antennas, etc, available in this century would be appreciated.

Last edited:

tawilke46

The Model 29 WXNWST looks to be the best bet in a Cobra if you don't need Bluetooth……which you already have in your car.
I know nothing about CB's anymore. I used to have them in my cars. Seems like I had a Cobra and a Midland at one time…….
But that was back in the 70's when "Smokey and the Bandit" were popular! 10-4!

Had one of these antennas. I think it is still in my storeroom in the garage along with my SWR meter.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/k40-cb-antenna-58-magnet-mount.html

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ok, so there mightbe some differences between how they are used in the SE and SW. Out here they are nearly useless. Trucker chatter is horrendous as in filthy language and ranting at each other. Very few decent conversations.

CA and other states with truck speed limits under 65 the CB's are still used to locate LEO's so are a bit better.

I gave up on CBs a few years ago out here.

Might be different in the SE and East where speed limits are lower.

If you want weather your best bet is a smart phone. continuous weather radar updated every 5 min centered on your location. If you geta Verizon phone there arefew dead zones to interrupt the data flow.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Had one of these antennas.
K40 makes a very good antenna but unfortunately none of their models incorporate a NOAA antenna in to the unit. Wilson's W1000 antenna's specs looks pretty good, and they claim to beat K40, but it is a bit pricy... I'll probably go with a Cobra HG-A1500 to keep it simple.

Ok, so there mightbe some differences between how they are used in the SE and SW. Out here they are nearly useless. Trucker chatter is horrendous as in filthy language and ranting at each other. Very few decent conversations.
It was no different here and I have no expectation that has changed. But the local base station users, with illegal "kickers", were worse though... :rolleyes1:

If you want weather your best bet is a smart phone.
I agree, but... The areas where I will be are not all on, or even near, the Interstates so even Verizon's cellular coverage is a bit spotty at best and even more questionable in bad weather. I already have weather forecasts and near real time (NRT) weather maps in my OEM navigation system, through XM/Sirius, but it relies on the cellular network for NRT data just like my "smart" phone, which does have the Weather Channel application:), so it is questionable. The same limitations apply to accessing or calling the 511 traffic / road conditions network. All three of those systems require the cellular network to be available. A NOAA radio, with real time (RT) weather alerts, isn't dependent on the cellular network and is just a bit more "insurance". Adding the CB radio to the mix, to do real time road checks, is just one more level of insurance. Since I can get the CB and NOAA combined for around $200 it may be worth it.

Top Bottom