Which threadlock for windscreen slider rail bolts?

Although properly torqued when I last installed them, one of the bolts holding the windscreen slider rail fell out due to the excessive harshness from the front end. Now I am determining which thread lock to use when reinstalling the bolts. I have some Honda Lock, and some Loctite, but there is a discrepancy in the way the different manufacturers categorize the strength versus the color.

Loctite red says it is high strength, and requires High localized heat for removal. So I don't want that. Loctite blue says medium strength, removable with hand tools. However, Honda Lock 1, which is also blue, says it is low strength. I also have a Honda Lock 3, which is categorized as the highest strength, and it is green, so I assume that would be equivalent to Loctite red. Then there is a Honda Lock 2, which is orange, which Honda categorizes as medium strength. Given all these possibilities, and the fact that I do not want to have to remove the entire front body plastic work again in the future just to replace a loose Bolt, do folks think that the Loctite blue would be sufficient to hold the bolts in place, considering the high vibration that the windscreen slider rail experiences? Or should I try the Honda Lock 2, which is orange, or might that just be the same as Loctite blue? Anybody with experience in this?

Any strength loctite will do the job, I never use anything above medium (blue) as I want to be able to take it apart again in the future if I need to.

Seagrass

The blue can still be pretty tough. I would use Loctite green or Honda low strength blue.

Mike

As an aside, can thread lock compound lose its chemical ability to harden and solidify? I ask because the last time I used my HondaLock 3, I recall it really didn't seem to dry and Harden. It is quite old, exceeding 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom