Whining noise

Hi all, got my 2010 NT700VA a few days before winter last year. I've ridden it about five times during the mini-thaws. I've noticed that while running, it "whines" a little from the tank/handlebar area. It's not too loud, but audible over the bike idling. I've never seen another NT in the flesh, so not sure that this isn't normal, but doesn't seem normal.

Rides well, although I find it's a little lurchy on startup from a dead stop (although I'm used to my ST1300, which will start up without throttle).

I also noticed that when it's colder out (40s or lower), the gauge plastic will fog a little.

The sound sounds kind of like a suck or blow.

Anyone else run into this?

46k miles, three valve adjustments.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Cincykz
I'm trying to upload a video clip but apparently "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The air intake and air filter are beneath the fuel tank. The sound you are describing is the engine breathing.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Yes the NT powerplant is a bit loud. I always rode with foam earplugs, even with a full helmet. I found taking out most of the wind and engine noises made riding much more relaxing and helped me focus on the road and stay alert.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The transmission of the NT whines especially on decel. Like so many others, I've been wearing earplugs for a long time, and it makes it so much more relaxing.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Thanks for the replies all. I too wear foam earplugs under a well fitted helmet. To clarify, the sound is not audible when moving or earplugs in. It's a kind of high frequency whine, I almost wondered if it's a tired fuel pump or a obstructed vacuum line or vent.

The bike also has aftermarket electronic cruise, led running lights, and a fuse block to run accessories. The sound occurs to me as maybe an electrical whine, or like a teakettle that's just about to start whistling. Also, no abnormal sound when ign on but not running.

I'm going to try and post the video somewhere and post a link.

Thanks again đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Cincykz
The transmission of the NT whines especially on decel. Like so many others, I've been wearing earplugs for a long time, and it makes it so much more relaxing.
I actually quite enjoy the mechanical noises of the NT. It's so quiet at idle that with fresh earplugs, I sometimes have a hard time hearing the engine when starting up and feeding in the clutch.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It sounds normal to me. I don't think you've got any problem to worry about.

Bike
2012 NC700x
My '94 CB1000 always had a whine noise when I turned the key on but wasn't noticeable once it fired. I put a new battery in it this spring and hit all the connections with Deoxit-5 and when I had the headlight shell open I realized that the LED headlight bulb the PO had installed had a fan on it. I've had that bike for 5 years and never knew that was the sound.

My fuel pump whines, i dont always notice it, and not as loud as your video. I did have to replace my pump when i got the bike, parts of the hose and wiring had crumbled from age and/or sitting and ended up clogging it. The bike would not accelerate though, starved for fuel and bucked a lot.
You can carefully shine a flashlight into the tank and see some of the fuel pump assembly. There are some wires, plastic loom around the wire, and a coarse filter that came apart on mine. You should be able to see if there is any obvious corrosion around the pump.

OP
OP
Cincykz
My fuel pump whines, i dont always notice it, and not as loud as your video. I did have to replace my pump when i got the bike, parts of the hose and wiring had crumbled from age and/or sitting and ended up clogging it. The bike would not accelerate though, starved for fuel and bucked a lot.
You can carefully shine a flashlight into the tank and see some of the fuel pump assembly. There are some wires, plastic loom around the wire, and a coarse filter that came apart on mine. You should be able to see if there is any obvious corrosion around the pump.
Good info, thanks đź‘Ť I know that the bike sat for about two years prior to my purchase, I will check in the tank.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My mechanic told me the design of the air intake causes the "jetson mobile" effect

He says its a Honda thing

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My mechanic told me the design of the air intake causes the "jetson mobile" effect

He says its a Honda thing
It's not only a Honda thing. The air induction noise or drone to many enthusiasts is a highly desireable sound. Many manufacturers spend many engineering hours to make sure the noise sounds "just right". The Mazda Miata that I have has a specially tuned air tube just for the induction noise. The NT is tuned for a more raspy sound that usually comes on at about 4K rpm. My favorite though is the mid to late 60's muscle cars from GM equipped with the Quadrajet carburetor. When those huge secondaries kicked in it made the most heavenly sounding induction drone.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My '99 Concours had a great induction noise howl that kicked in somewhere around 6K rpm.

Top Bottom