Why riser

hondaaddict

I handed over $400 and got my Helibar riser. I'm in the process of slowly installing it. It just dawn on me a question. Why are there no taller handlebars for the NT? Wouldn't making a handlebar cheaper than machining a $400 riser? A taller handlebar would be a lot better looking than having a big ugly riser, like this Helibar. Also, I am just finding out that with the Helibar on, the gas tank cannot be removed. I would have to disconnect the Helibar and push it away from the gas tank, before the tank can be removed. Inconvenient.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i paid $50 for my MCL riser ad it works splendidly and you can't even tell it's there. i am not familiar with the helibar riser other than the pics in the other post. they seem similar to the $100 sw-motech risers that move the bars up AND closer to you. as for why are there no taller handlebars for the nt i really couldn't answer that. can't you just put any handlebar on there that is the correct diameter?

Bike
2010 NT700V
An independent bike shop would have access to literally hundreds of different bars. BUT, almost any change in bars would require a change in the front brake hose, throttle control cables and the clutch cable. A radical change might also mean changing out or splicing the wires from the handlebar controls. It can be done, it is just not as easy as just swapping the bars.

OP
OP

hondaaddict

Well, I'm at the last throes of motorcycling. I've tried several different bikes. And it has been an expensive lesson. Part of the problem is that I'm not big and tall enough to ride a lot of the comfortable bikes out there, like the Goldwing. My options are limited. My body has taken its toll from years of riding small uncomfortable bikes and playing a lot of sports. When I was younger, I could ride for hours on a 200cc dual sport without aches and pain. I can't do that no more. There's so much ache and pain. I have started getting real bad headaches also, as a result of the windshield buffeting. If I can't find long distance comfort in the NT, then that's it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, John likes the setup he has. But, we are all shaped differently and require different bars, seats, and windshield than others. Saying live with it is like saying to get in a car and don't move the seat forward or back to suit you.

Motorcycles rarely "fit" out of the box. The difficult part is figuring out what you need to change to fit you.

I have a Russell seat that raises me up an extra inch. I also like a taller windshield. The geometry of the windshield adjust mechanism is such that I use mainly the bottom three positions and a CeeBailey +6" shield. Perfect for me. (I am 5'10" with 32" inseam and 35" sleeves)

I have 1" risers and would like a set of "higher" bars so I could roll them back further (about 3" further back). I would also like to change the angle of the grips a bit. Once I get cables and brake hose I may try making up a set of bars to fit me. If I do will post in here with info.

In the old days you could go down and have a local shop bend a set of bars for you. If you don't need chrome you can probably still do that fairly cheap. The NT has 7/8" bars, which is pretty common.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with John about the NT being a comfortable bike. Every bike design is a compromise in terms of how many people the bike will fit properly. Honda has done an excellent job in that department. In many cases small individual tweaks can be helpful--risers, different pegs, custom seats, different windshields. These are small changes that can be expensive. They are, however worth it in the long run.

I am a bicyclist, former racer, builder, and shop owner. All high end bikes are custom fitted in the end. Hndlebar stems get changed as do handlebars for width and shape. Seats and pedals get changed, and then get moved around. I would expect my personal bike to take me on a 100 mile ride and not turn me into a cripple when I am done.

My NT has no problem doing 500 miles in a sitting--with short rest/stretch spots. I have the MCL Risers and plan to get the low profile Sargent Seat from MCL. The NT seat is OK, but too soft (I am used to the hard bicycle seats and my butt is well broken in)

A good evaluation of the NT would be that this is a very comfortable touring bike that can be adjusted for the owner's further enjoyment with a minimum amount of hassle.

NL7U

I will not jump in on whether risers and/or different bars are useful or even be used, I will just relate what I have done with my NT. I bought a set of ROX risers...they worked well but were still not high enough nor far enough back for me.

Another trip to the salvage yard yielded another set of 'bullhorns', but these would demand a change of all the cables and the brake line. Moto-Heaven.com supplied everything I needed. I got it all 7" extended over stock length, the wires did not need any extension, just 'finagling'. Cost for all was $10 for the used bars and $129 for the controls. I ruined the bar end system using too big a hammer trying to install them in the 'new' bars, somI still need to do something with them (Throttlmeister?).

I do think the cables for a 750 Honda Shadow or the like would fit instead of the custom ones that I got and I will look into that since I like to have spares close at hand at all times and they would be cheaper.

If I were 40 years younger I would not go to all this trouble, but, at age 67 I think my arthritic hands demand at least a little effort in this area.! I love the NT, and hope this helps me and others.
[/LIST]

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Which bike did the bars come off of? Pictures??

I have been shopping for a set of bars vs risers. I have thought about welding up my own set of adjustable bars as I am not sure how much rake and setback I want.

bicyclist

Which bike did the bars come off of? Pictures??

I have been shopping for a set of bars vs risers. I have thought about welding up my own set of adjustable bars as I am not sure how much rake and setback I want.
You could go to the salvage yard, bring out a selection of bars and sit on the bike while holding each bar in place to get an idea what would work.

Top Bottom