Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
An ST Owner that is doing an epic ride.

1685710328128.png

Here's the thread on ST Owners:

Here's his spotwalla link, pretty cool his trip should be in the 12,000 mile range

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Boy, that is an epic ride! It HIS ride but personally I would get off the interstate at Sheridan and go pet the fluffy cows in Yellowstone. Too much slab riding for me...good luck in Chicago....WA has one of the highest state gas taxes but now has a hidden 20 cent per gallon carbon tax so on principle I would fill up at the Oregon border.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Boy, that is an epic ride! It HIS ride but personally I would get off the interstate at Sheridan and go pet the fluffy cows in Yellowstone. Too much slab riding for me...good luck in Chicago....WA has one of the highest state gas taxes but now has a hidden 20 cent per gallon carbon tax so on principle I would fill up at the Oregon border.
Ouch!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The carbon tax was passed by Inslee who is not trying for re election but it is interesting as it is very hard to figure out how much it hits petroleum /natural gas products. What you can do with Gasoline is go to gas buddy and see what gas goes for on one side of the state line from WA to ID, ...Idaho state tax is 32 cents and WA's base gas tax is 49.... 17 cents a gallon difference, right?
I just looked at Gas Buddy....Spokane valley the cost is $4.50 give or take...across the line in Post Falls, its $3.88....that's 62 cents cheaper....none of the papers nor the other media has come up with a story on this.....but now they are....and its not 20 cents a gallon...its 35 to 50 cents.....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I paid around $3.20 the other day for unleaded regular when I filled up my car.

Last edited:

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I rode (solo) from Birmingham to AK last August. My plan was to ride up to the Arctic Circle, spend the night, and ride back down to Fairbanks the next day. Did not happen. The Dalton was foggy and alittle damp.......I got "in" a few miles, went down a very steep incline right off the bat passing an 18 wheeler headed in the opposite direction, weighed the "chances", and decided not to attempt it........and I was on a Vstrom 650. Many riders do it (Prudhoe Bay) every year..........it takes someone with alot more "nerve" and experience than me. Hope he makes it. BTW, my trip was 12,000 miles, 35 days (17 camping nights), cost me $4500, gas was never a problem (and I NEVER looked at the prices), and came home on the same rear tire (Scout 60) that I left with.

822013.JPG

822016.JPG

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I rode (solo) from Birmingham to AK last August. My plan was to ride up to the Arctic Circle, spend the night, and ride back down to Fairbanks the next day. Did not happen. The Dalton was foggy and alittle damp.......I got "in" a few miles, went down a very steep incline right off the bat passing an 18 wheeler headed in the opposite direction, weighed the "chances", and decided not to attempt it........and I was on a Vstrom 650. Many riders do it (Prudhoe Bay) every year..........it takes someone with alot more "nerve" and experience than me. Hope he makes it. BTW, my trip was 12,000 miles, 35 days (17 camping nights), cost me $4500, gas was never a problem (and I NEVER looked at the prices), and came home on the same rear tire (Scout 60) that I left with.

822013.JPG

822016.JPG
Nice.. yeah, better safe than sorry and that's a tough thing to consider as our egos can sometimes get us in trouble.. glad you did as much as you did, not sure I'll ever go myself... I've been to Canada, BC and that was good enough for me. Maybe when I retire I'll try when I don't have to get back for work but I'll be older, fatter, weaker and grayer so not sure that will ever happen lol.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yep, I understand completely. When Phil and I went to AK we agreed that our bikes had too much plastic to try to go up the Dalton Hwy. We played it save and returned with our bikes in good condition (but awfully dirty)DSCN0827.jpeg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yep, I understand completely. When Phil and I went to AK we agreed that our bikes had too much plastic to try to go up the Dalton Hwy. We played it save and returned with our bikes in good condition (but awfully dirty)DSCN0827.jpeg
Yeah, yer faithful steed took you safely to the Yukon and back and what do you do? Traded it fer a Turnip! Cast aside like an old shoe...
😢
<snurf>

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Back in 1996 I and a good riding buddy made the ride from Colorado to Inuvik NW territories. Road the Alcan, the Cassiar Highway, Yukon Highway, and then Dempster Highway, and over the Top of the World Highway on the way back, to name a few. Three weeks and 8,000 miles round trip. We made the trip on R100GSPD BMW models. Great time, good ride. Much of route was all dirt roads back then.

02-25-2011 01;32;02PM.jpg02-25-2011 01;44;10PM.jpg02-25-2011 01;45;08PM.jpg

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yeah, yer faithful steed took you safely to the Yukon and back and what do you do? Traded it fer a Turnip! Cast aside like an old shoe...
😢
<snurf>

Mike
Well Mike, new shoes are nice too.

By the way - are you still contemplating taking a lap around Lake Superior before Spearfish? And are you going to Spearfish or still just thinking about it. You need to SPOT thinking about it - I don't want you to hurt yourself.

AND. I didn't "trade" the NT in on a Triumph. The dealer wouldn't take it. I sold it to a guy on the ST forum who wanted a smaller ST.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sadly, this year Spearfish is not in the cards but Superior still may be.... still somewhat up in the air...

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sadly, this year Spearfish is not in the cards but Superior still may be.... still somewhat up in the air...

Mike
Oh Mike - you've got a great streak going about attending Spearfish. :dr11: Unfortunately your streak is in the wrong direction. :( Your reputation and creditability is in serious question (or worse). o_O😲 Your have to know that, not being present, we will talk about you. And with the help of alcoholic beverages and idle time around the campfire we are bound to make up lies about you. :rofl1: You are warned!!!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Half way to Quigley shoot. Everyone be safe. I swear drivers have gotten more stupid agressive over the winter...

Top Bottom