Windshield Mods?

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Got a new National Cycle V-Stream windshield coming, got it for $135 free shipping, great price had to get it. Now here's my thing the stock shield really is not bad for me and goes up higher than I ever use it, 2 clicks from the top is about as high as I go 98% of the time and I like the lowest position when hot out, but I would like a wider shield for more chest and shoulder coverage so I'm thinking on modifying this shield when I get it I like how wide the V-Steam is but don't need all the extra height so I would like to take about 2.5-3 inches off the top. A member Thumpn here that sold me the NT says he can mod in and another friend of mine says he has did it too with success. Has anybody here had good luck cutting shields down or any other comments welcome?

Bike
2010 NT700V
I haven't cut a windshield, but have cut lexan sheets. I imagine the method would be the same. Use a handheld jigsaw. Put good quality painter's tape down wide enough to cover whole work area to protect the windshield from scratches. Draw cut line on tape with a sharpie. Cut and then sand smooth.

The hardest part is going to be keeping the windshield locked down so it doesn't bounce with the saw blade. You could attempt it on the bike, but if it were me I'd remove it and do the job on a low work table.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I would put to windshield on a wood service, press it down with a couple of clamps and use a circular saw with a fine tooth blade. I use masking tape to make sure you don't scratch the shield. the National is pliable to be flat when cut.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've done a few. I put blue painters tape on the windshield where the cut will be. Then I use a variable speed jig saw with the rocker action at zero (if you have one). I use a fairly slow blade speed and cut slowly with a fine blade. Then I round the edges with a series of files starting with a bastard cut and ending with a mill file. Then I go to sandpaper or emery cloth starting with about a 100 grit and working down to a 400 or 500 grit. Use lots of tape so as not to scratch the new windshield while you're working on int.

In the case of the NT the mounting holes are about 3" apart vertically and equally spaced laterally. So when I cut down my Cee Bailey +4, I cut 3" off the bottom and drilled new holes for the top mounting screws. Be sure to chamfer the holes you drill to prevent cracking. The result was a Cee Bailey +1" which retained the "curl" at the top and looked like a stock windshield.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I've used the same method junglejim used with the tape and the jig saw. Worked for me.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Before you go cutting, why not try 2 of these as bolted on wings on the sides

Goldfire Universal Motorcycle Windshield Airflow Adjustable Windscreen Wind D... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NYDHB7F/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_GTohFbADZHSAN

PS: Where did you get national cycle for $135? I have been waiting for it to come down...
The price varies on this site its $139 now

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Before you go cutting, why not try 2 of these as bolted on wings on the sides

Goldfire Universal Motorcycle Windshield Airflow Adjustable Windscreen Wind D... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NYDHB7F/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_GTohFbADZHSAN

PS: Where did you get national cycle for $135? I have been waiting for it to come down...
That Airflow product works really well and is a bargain. The plexiglass is held on with 2 screws, so making up and mounting a different shaped piece of plexiglass is easy.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
The National is to pliable for a air force adjuster. OEM or Cee would be okay.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I've done a few. I put blue painters tape on the windshield where the cut will be. Then I use a variable speed jig saw with the rocker action at zero (if you have one). I use a fairly slow blade speed and cut slowly with a fine blade. Then I round the edges with a series of files starting with a bastard cut and ending with a mill file. Then I go to sandpaper or emery cloth starting with about a 100 grit and working down to a 400 or 500 grit. Use lots of tape so as not to scratch the new windshield while you're working on int.

In the case of the NT the mounting holes are about 3" apart vertically and equally spaced laterally. So when I cut down my Cee Bailey +4, I cut 3" off the bottom and drilled new holes for the top mounting screws. Be sure to chamfer the holes you drill to prevent cracking. The result was a Cee Bailey +1" which retained the "curl" at the top and looked like a stock windshield.
Hey Jim you gave me a great ideal, I drilled new mounting holes and cut the bottom off, only thing is with the V-Stream the way its made if you try to use the bottom holes where the top holes need to be is in a tight curve part of the shield so I had to re do all four holes, in the end I got it 2.5 inches lower, I only cut about 2 inches off the bottom no cut on top. here's a pic.

Attachments

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have used a Dremel rotary tool with a thin disk to do the cutting with the shield in place on the motorcycle.
Mark the area to be cut and go slowly, after cut is complete, cut area needs to be smoothed with multiple passes of fine emery cloth or sandpaper.

Top Bottom