Winter Riding Pants

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
So it's already that time of year for DC/MD/VA region with early morning temps in the low 40's (much earlier than usual)... tried a brief ride with some pants and thermal underwear and it honestly felt like I was riding in the arctic with a kilt!

Please consider this post a teeth-chattering attempt to solicit suggestions for WARM non-electric riding gear based on experience. Armor is desirable or padding at a minimum, though would like not not have something so bulky as to look like a kid-wrapped scene from a Christmas special. Ideally something that goes on/comes off fairly quick as I'd like to use it for work in addition to weekend riding. Is there gear that doesn't make you oversweat in the winter but still keeps you warm? (Will not be used in summer most likely.)

Experience and suggestions welcome!

Thanks guys,

- Gabe

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Gabe
I just got this in from MC Superstore this week and havent tried it, but it seems like its going to do the trick

First Gear one piece thermal suit for $170
I have only tried it on: it is quilted to the max, plus rain resistant
Legs unzip to the thigh for easy access/egress with footwear on
All zippers covered with a velcro flap
Only con: no armor,(hence, $170 pricetag) but the quilting is very thick
All reviews on the website have been very positive
I may get to try it next week, as temps in Dallas may reach the 30s in the AM
I will post a review as soon as it gets cold here

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I bought that first gear suit too. I have only worn it twice because I have longer than normal legs and it isn't quite long enough for me. I kept it in case I get some taller boots and it seems perfect for snow shoveling on a really frigid day. It is practically rain proof. I did test it out on a drizzly cold day in the mid 30's and I was actually warm enough that I opened that sucker as soon as I got off the bike.

I think it is designed to be a snowmobile suit, so it makes sense that it would very warm if temps are in the 30's. No armor either.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hard to beat an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for quick on/off and great protection. A friend of mine who works in an office uses it over his "work" clothes. A two-piece gives more options for all round riding but, they don't go on and off as quickly. Aeorstich products are expensive but, they work - period. I'd replaced mine tomorrow if necessary.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Gabe
I have a pair of TourMaster Caliber overpants that have a removable liner and armor. They are not real bulky and keep me warm. I also have a pair of FirstGear HT overpants but I find them too bulky. On occasion however I just use the insulated liner from them as an overpant. They are wind and water proof and work well to keep my legs warm down into the teens. Wearing the liner only however gives up the armor. I also recently purchased a one piece Teiz Lombard but its too early to say if I like it or not. I do ride all year so trying to find the right gear for every weather condition means that I have a closet full of stuff as I look for the ideal combination for each situation. You will most likely have to try a few things until you find what works best for you.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Gabe, I've got Roadgear (www.roadgear.com) X-Caliber pants (they're on closeout right now for only $129.00). I've had them for about 7 years and usually wear my 'Stitch, but when it's cold, they've worked really well. I don't wear them very often in the summer, preferring the 'Stitch, but without the liner in, they've been fine up into the 80s and low 90s. With the liner in, I've worn them down as low as 10F and been fine. When it's below freezing, I'm also wearing the jacket with a heated jacket under that if I'm going any distance.

For $129, you couldn't go wrong. And one of the great benefits with Roadgear is that they offer combination sizing. You can get a variety of inseam lengths from 30" up with every waist size and their waist sizes go way up. I didn't have to buy the largest waist size they offer, so you know they go way up. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phil
The price must be dropping by the minute. They now show $99.00 for a pair

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have some FirstGear overpants I wear in the winter that are armored. I have never found armored pants that don't spoils the image of my svelte, self, so I just get over it.

However, I have yet to find any riding suit or overpants that fit me reasonably well and are long enough in the leg to be properly positioned when I ride. So in the rain I resort to "extending" the length by wearing gaiters.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rich, take a look at Roadgear's site. If 36" inseams would help, the X-Caliber is on sale for $99.00.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I can understand why the one piece stich has its fans.

I just bought a new one piece Hi Viz riding suit primarily for my winter commuting. It goes on over my work clothes and it has a lot of reflective material on the shoulders, arms and legs which is nice since I am riding home in the dark every night. Unlike the stich it does come with liners but so far I am just using the shell. The liners look like they will be a pain to install and I am likey to just put a fleece top over my work shirt when it gets below 30. I am adjusting to putting it on. That floor to neck zipper sure is a long pull. The procedure is different than what you use for a two piece suit. I will probably go back to my two piece suits in the summer. Even with all the zippered vents I have a feeling this suit is going to be hot in the summer when it gets above 80.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I ride all year round on Long Island. When it gets cold I go to my chaps. I know there not great on protection in the but area, but they absolutely keep me warm on my 30 minute commute even down in the teens. And they are really cheap.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the Icon Arc overpants and wear them over a pair of L.L.Bean flannel lined jeans. Keeps me warm just fine.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Wow, awesome feedback so far, thanks guys!

In theory I like the idea of a 1-piece Stich or similar, I really do and won't mind the look so much either. But I'm hoping to not need a 1 piece as I use an airbag jacket (with a thermal rain liner inside), and anything going over the airbag jacket would interfere with the operation and cause problems. (Being in EMS prior and seeing how fragile the human body is, I opted for this as part of my ATGATT, because it's not the road rash that'll generally kill you, rather the sudden stop.) Thusly, I want to always use the air-bag jacket (especially with the millions of drivers in the DC/MD/VA region here). The removal rain barrier liner also acts as a thermal layer too, and does "okay" from what I've seen of 30F nights already here, but some layering up is definitely needed. (I just started another separate thread on electric vests associated to this in "heated accessories".)

I thought about chaps but then I was thinking maybe something specifically designed for warmth (and maybe armor) might fare slightly better. I figured there would be some buying going on before finding the right fit, but don't want bulk so I might try the roadger x-caliber and/or the Tourmaster Caliber, though with the price of the X-caliber that sounds like a real steal right now.

I hadn't thought about rain protection too much, (I have the throw-on/over rain paints), but if there is waterproof pants in these options above then that would be a time/effort saver to be sure.

Thanks!

- Gabe

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Just look on any of the sites like motorcycle superstore, revzilla, etc and look up textile pants. Most come with a removable thermal liner. Leave it in for cold days, take it out when it's not quite as cold. They can usually be worn over jeans, but some would not manage that with the thermal liner in. These types of pants are good for three season wear. I wear mesh ones instead in the summer.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'll second Warren's endorsement of the Tourmaster Cailber pants. I have a pair and they kept me warm and toasty all last winter and I rode in temps down to 15 degrees.

MIke

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/ht_overpants.html

This is what I have. A bit expensive but it keeps my bottom dry and warm with the liner. I leave the liner out in the warmer months. During the real cold days I wear sweat pants under the liner and of course the over pants over that. keeps me very warm.

As a side note: I do have electric jacket liner and electric gloves. Best motorcycle farkle I ever invested in. Wore it all today on my NT700 Tag ride.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The Roadgear X-Caliber pants have a thermal liner and have been waterproof for me.

Chuck, where did you ride? Where was the church and where is the Mt. Pisgah Cemetary?

Last edited:
Top Bottom