Winter Riding Pants

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Roadgear X-Caliber pants have a thermal liner and have been waterproof for me.

Chuck, where did you ride? Where was the church and where is the Mt. Pisgah Cemetary?
Church is The Abby in Canyon City, and the Cemetary is on the north west side of Cripple Creek. Highway 1

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have two sets of riding gear that I use depending on what kind of riding.

Communting I wear kevlar lined jeans for most of the year. When it gets cold (below 40) I pull on a pair of ski pants. Jacket is a mesh in summer and leather in winter. If the leather isn't enough then I put on a sweater or fleece lined sweatshirt under the jacket. All of this works fine for a 30-40min commute at temps down in the teens. FWIW, when it gets really cold my feet are the limiting factor, even with insulated boots.

For trips I have Tourmaster mesh pants. They come with rain and thermal liners but I don't use them. If it is cold I put on thermal underwear, the pants and then my rain suit. This works for temps down in the 30's for extended riding. The jacket is a mesh one. Again, when cold, I put on a fleece lined sweatshirt and over the top my rain gear.

Another alternative I considered for riding to work is a snowmobile suit. I used one of those in the past and it was great. Almost waterproof and good for temps near zero. Worn over kevlar jeans and it is a cheap alternative to the Aerostich for winter riding.

The bulky look is just something you have to live with when it is really cold. Unless you get heated gear. If I were to ride long distances in the cold I would get a set. I will be getting some heated gloves soon. Heated grips are nice but don't cut it for longer (over 1 hr) riding.

CommuterNT

I wear a pair of Motoport http://http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=25&cid=29&Itemid=15 Air Mesh Kevlar pants with their waterproof liner. They are a bit expensive and not the most fashionable but they are the most functional and safest pants you could wear. Motoport is a little company out of California with an absolutely horrible website...it's even gotten better believe it or not. But they do make some of the best kevlar pants and jackets out there. I can also attest to all of their claims except for actually crashing in them (may that test never happen). Also everything is custom made to fit so the prices you see are the custom fit. As far as functionality these things are tough! I've worn these for a year with them looking like they are brand new still. With the liner in they keep me bone dry and quite warm keeping the wind off of my legs. When it gets warmer they are cooler then a pair of jeans. Perfect pant for all conditions and probably the last pair you will ever buy. Today on my way into work it was about 27-30* out and I decided to put some long johns on only so I would feel any cold. Could have done alright without them though.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread for the valuable advice. I ended up getting a set of Tourmaster Caliber riding pants and aside from being a wee bit high and snug in the waist (more incentive to get back in the gym), they fit great and more importantly kept me warm on my recent windy 36 degree weather test ride. Looking forward to more winter riding soon (as soon as the snow stops and melts some). ;-)

Thanks again!

- Gabe

Top Bottom