Won't shift to neutral?

• Thread starter ChikinsR4dinner
  • Start date

ChikinsR4dinner

Hi everyone! As you may recall, the nt is my first bike ever, and while I am not a complete mechanical idiot, I have not undertaken an in depth knowledge on how everything works outside of oil changes and fluid changes, etc

The bike has just about 1k miles on it. The following 'symptoms' are in order of discovery and may or may not be related...

- bike does not roll easily. Noticed by my brother when he borrowed the bike while his BMW was in the shop
- bike when cold and not ridden for 2 weeks (I am on the road for work all the time) could not be pushed off the dolly with clutch disengaged with handle. Had to move bike to neutral and it rolled off fine
- bike lurches forward when started in first with clutch disengaged
- yesterday, can't get bike to go to neutral when it is running...will switch fine if the engine is off.

It's going to make the 2 hour trip to the dealership as soon as I know when I'll be back in town again, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on whether this is all related, if you've seen it before, or if this is somehow normal and I am over reacting....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Check the clutch lever freeplay at the handgrip. It should be 10-20 mm, measured at the ball end.

And by the way, it's fairly normal for there to be some resistance to pushing a bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. The only time I ever do that is when rolling my bike off the lift because I can use the clutch lever as a rear brake.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sounds like the clutch is not releasing fully when the lever is squeezed. Check the freeplay as an earlier poster indicated. A very slight "lurch" forward when engaging first gear is not abnormal and is more pronounced when the engine is cold.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I agree with above to check clutch adjustment.
The bike not rolling easily. Is this when it is neutral? If so you may want to check for brakes dragging. Put it on the centerstand and turn the wheels. They should turn pretty freely. The front would turn freer than the rear since the rear still turns the driveshaft. I don't remember too many people with NT brake drag trouble, my NT rolls much easier than old Concours.

Brad

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I think the clue to the problem is in your post.

"The bike has just about 1k miles on it"

A lot of things "free up" as you get miles on the bike and ths is especially true for a new clutch and new oil.

Hondas run a wet clutch which means the clutch plates are covered (splashed) in oil and if the oil is cold and thick the clutch plates will not disengage fully.

Check the clutch lever free play as advised by others to make sure it is OK and then get some miles on the bike and see what happens.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Hi everyone! As you may recall, the nt is my first bike ever, and while I am not a complete mechanical idiot, I have not undertaken an in depth knowledge on how everything works outside of oil changes and fluid changes, etc

The bike has just about 1k miles on it. The following 'symptoms' are in order of discovery and may or may not be related...

- bike does not roll easily. Noticed by my brother when he borrowed the bike while his BMW was in the shop
- bike when cold and not ridden for 2 weeks (I am on the road for work all the time) could not be pushed off the dolly with clutch disengaged with handle. Had to move bike to neutral and it rolled off fine
- yesterday, can't get bike to go to neutral when it is running...will switch fine if the engine is off.

It's going to make the 2 hour trip to the dealership as soon as I know when I'll be back in town again, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on whether this is all related, if you've seen it before, or if this is somehow normal and I am over reacting....
I'll start by saying I am like the least mechanical person here. The NT is my second bike and I now have 36,500 miles on it. I put 15,000 on my first one, a Suzuki GS500F.

All of he things you describe sound fairly normal to me. My bike has never moved well, or easily unless in neutral. I always roll it around in neutral with the clutch lever pulled. I can't speak to the mechanics, it's just the way it works.

I don't start my bike in gear. I was trained that way in the basic rider course and see no reason to change. Neutral can be tricky to find for us newer riders Sometimes I miss it. I also sometimes miss second when upshifting from first. I stop at neutral. No big issue, just annoying.

Not sure what you by getting the bike off the dolly.

Some "drive train clunk" shifting from neutral to first is normal. It is not consistent. Again, I can't speak to the mechanics, it just is what it is. All bikes seem to do it.

Sounds like you just need to adjust some procedures and accept some foibles.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A little initial resistance when holding in the clutch is normal but after the initial stiction in the clutch plates is broken, the bike should roll fairly easily. If you can't roll the bike at all even after a good heave, then clutch adjustment is likely the issue. That's a pretty easy adjustment.

Again, this could be normal behavior or a problem with the clutch adjustment. I'd have to see/feel it myself to know for sure.

Are you having trouble finding neutral or is moving the shifter difficult? Again, this could be a clutch adjustment issue and isn't hard to check. Make sure the lever has some free play. When let all the way out, you should be able to move the lever without causing the clutch cable to pull. If the clutch cable is always under tension, then you need adjust out the clutch lever.

Horizon

Mine mostly finds neutral easier if I tap up to to 2nd then tap down to neutral. Going from 1st up to neutral takes a little more finesse.

OP
OP

ChikinsR4dinner

Thanks to all for the posts. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it - they told me nothing was wrong.... Fast forward to December - out for a long ride in North Ga... Clutch burns up on the interstate...For the record - NOT a good time. Have a new Honda repair shop/dealer now.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I hope you were able to get the clutch replaced under warranty. A properly adjusted clutch should not burn up. I burned one not long ago but it was due to the gear shifter falling off. Rode 25 miles on Interstates and surface streets stuck in 5th gear. Honda warranted the parts and we split the labor so I was only out $100.

Top Bottom